Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: darned nephew would sell it to me

Banned

darned nephew would sell it to me

went to camp Saturday to set up my blind and one of my nephews and his wife were there. they were sighting in a gun for her to use. I didn't pay much attention because hes one to buy cheap rifles like entry level rems and savage axis guns. I walked over and saw wood. Kind of perked my interest. they had one of the old wood adl rem 700s that was in 243 and was absolutely mint. He showed me a target shot with 100 grain corelock ammo that had 5 shots right at an inch. that said he probably hasn't shot 20 groups with all of his guns combined so my guess is it was capable of a lot more. I tried to get it from him. It had a cheap bushnel scope on it and he said a buddy he did a favor for quit hunting and gave it to his wife. I offered him 400 then 500 and even went to 600 bucks and even told him she could go to the gunshop and pick out a gun and id buy it. He wouldn't budge though and I guess I cant blame him. He was afraid his buddy would be hurt if he traded it off. Ive had 3 of those old adls. Two 06s and a 7mag and every one of them were sub moa guns. Most of the ones you see today are beat up guns that have been road hard and put away wet. this one could have passed for a brand new rifle and actually had some nice figure in the wood. Don't need another gun and sure don't need a 243 but needing and wanting are two different things.

Boolit Master
    I patiently waited for one particular win m 70 to go through a few family members hands before finally coming to rest at my home wear it will stay for a while . A younger brother purchased it in the late 80s it was a short barrel 3006 with full length wood beautiful wood , but sadly it was a picky shooter and my brother has been known to have a short fuse . As time went by he found one particular bullet that it would shoot reasonably well for a hunting rifle 2 in 100 yards , but it was discontinued so in frustration he whacked off the full length stock blaming it for the rifle not shooting well , and when that didn't help he slapped a cheap ramline on it then sold it to a younger family member for the cost of the ramline stock . All the wile I kept asking both of them to sell it to me as a project rifle to possibly rebarrel . Eventually after several years every one gave up on the rifle and it ended up with me but before I replaced the barrel I tried getting it in the stock good and trying different bullets and loads . I eventually hit another bullet it likes with a proper change its a inch hunting rifle now and my favorite . It doesn't miss and they stay where I shoot them what else could you ask for . But I do send it over to visit it's previous caretakers once in a while .

Maybe that gun will be the tinder that makes the flame grow into a love of fine and vintage firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Maybe that gun will be the tinder that makes the flame grow into a love of fine and vintage firearms.
    You bet it will. Those old adl's are wonderful gun. I've had one in 22-250, 243, and 30 ought 6 and I wish I still had all three.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i guess i am just cheap because i just love cheap guns. have a couple of 32 sw that were $30 and under. one needed a trigger job another needed a cylinder pin $5 from gun parts. used to just love the surplus guns but they are out of my price range now many $500 to $600 and more . i don't like the plastic stocks. there is nothing that looks better than a nice wood stock. i really enjoy fixing and refinishing them it gives me something to do.

I got my Grandson one of the new ADL rifles in 243 and found I really liked it. Now I've got a 223 and 308 and am going to get a 6.5 CM this spring. I find I don't mind the plastic stock at all. They're good rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got an approx 30 yr old ADL in .243, probably been 25 yrs since I shot it. I do remember all my loads when working them up went in < 1 moa with Hornady 100 gr BTSP. I still have about 20 of those loaded rounds, and 60 or so left in the box of Hornady bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post

I patiently waited for one particular win m 70 to go through a few family members hands before finally coming to rest at my home wear it will stay for a while .

A younger brother purchased it in the late 80s it was a short barrel 3006 with full length wood beautiful wood & in frustration he whacked off the full length stock blaming it for the rifle not shooting well , and when that didn't help he slapped a cheap ramline on it then sold it to a younger family member for the cost of the ramline stock .

And so turned a $800-$1200 rare Winchester Mannlicher into a $150 shooter (with a Ramline). (sigh)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I still have my first centerfire rifle, an old 700 ADL that my dad bought for me used over 30 years ago. It was originally a 30-06 but I let the barrel rust out so now it's a .270Win. I've got an old 22-250 ADL that is scary accurate, and several others. I was always a sucker for a nice old model 700.

I thought about selling off my old hunting rifles, since I haven't hunted in many years and probably never will, but where do I start? I offered one to an acquaintance a while back and he opined that an old 700 was worth maybe $300 tops, since you can buy a brand new model 783, or a new Savage, for around that. I just don't see how you can compare the two. I told him that's what I bought them for 25 years ago, and if that's all they're worth they can sit in the back of my safe for another 25.

I love the way a 700 feels to shoulder, the accuracy, the old Walker trigger, the blind mag on the adl's- the old walnut stocked ones. They go for more than $300 here! If I hadn't become a Tikka nut, my 3 rifle battery would probably be older Remington 700 ADLs. Let's see- 22-250, 25-06, and 30-06 would do nicely!

Banned
    The title of this thread is a bit off - "would" means something different than "wouldn't".

In Remembrance

Back in the early `60`s I got an Rem. model 722 adl in .300 Savage. With 130 and 150 gr. JSP bullets it was a nail driver out to 250 and even 300 yds.! The problem with it was the exractor that would pull the fired case back from the chamber then drop it on the loaded rounds in the magazine. I had 2 different gunsmiths `dink` around with it changing about every part except the bolt. Finally I had William`s gun shop install a Sako type extractor. Now it extracts as it should and tosses the empties smartly to the side, that kit was from Brownell`s. Still have that rifle and it still ranks up there for a deer gun with me.Robert

I hunted for years with an old ADL in 270. I saw an ad for a left handed bolt rifle and ordered it. Paid $165 for it and had a choice of 270, 30-06 or 7mm Mag. Sold it a few years ago as I found the 270 too much of a good thing for my hunting, but it was the "old reliable" for many years for me and saw a lot of deer. Had one of those triggers you could adjust to fairly heavy to dangerous. They had to quit making tham as too many did know how to set them.

DEP

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    The first rifle I bought new was an ADL in 30-06(about 1966). Shot my first big game with it and the most current antelope fell to a 150gr. bullet from the same rifle. I expect that when they haul my earthly remains to the burner, it will still be in the rack. I also own a 1980s 6MM and a rebarreled 60s action in .264 Win Mag and have owned several others. All good rifles. All ADLs. All shot hunting accurate and some better than that. Most had/have wood stocks but there is a place for the synthetic stocks (even if they do not look as nice.)

Boolit Master
    Yep.
    700 ADLs from the '60s or '70s are some of my favorite rifles. I like the safety that locks the bolt handle down, I like the "defective" Walker designed triggers, and I like the blind box magazine too. I can't prove it, but I suspect that blind mag makes for a slightly stiffer stock than a BDL would have, and perhaps gives better accuracy. Anyway, I've known quite a few of the ADLs that were just incredibly accurate for sporter weight rifles.

As Lloyd mentioned, it's getting hard to find one in really nice condition. Any time I run across a 40 or 50 year old model 700 in beautiful condition it sure piques my interest. A rifle like that is worth a lot more to me than a brand-new Remington of today.

Uncle R.

Amen Uncle R.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Here is my dads 1973 Remington Model 700 in 243 that was handed down to me. I'd be surprised it its shot over 75 rounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181119_190853.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	230720