Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: a few of my other favorite meals

Banned

a few of my other favorite meals

Chicken fry some venison cube steak in butter. then fry some sliced potatoes and onion (lots of onion) until the potatoes are browned and the onions caramelized, put the fried potatoes on your plate lay a big piece of chicken fried steak right on top and the drench the whole thing with sausage gravy! Meal fit for a king! Cool think is I get lots of cheap venison and all the potatoes we can eat from the farm we shoot deer at for free so it costs pennys to make.

Another cheap supper for us that I just love is venison cheese steaks. Take a semi frozen chunk of venison (it doesn't have to be a choice cut like a back strap) take a razor knife or a filet knife and slice it as thin as you can (why you can use lower quality cuts) Fry it in butter with onions and mushrooms until the venison gets a tiny bit of crust and the onions are soft and caramelized (and peppers if you like but to me they overpower the taste of the venison) take a loaf of French bread and cut it like a sub bun. Put a generous amount of your favorite cheese on it (I like half the bread with mozzarella and half with cheddar and nuke it till the cheese is melted and ladle on the meat. Best steak sub you will ever eat. the venison adds much more flavor then if you used beef. takes about 15 minutes to make.

Want more? Another sub variation is take some of your favorite fresh sausage and form it into rectangles that will fill a sliced open French bread. Fry with butter until done and in another pan fry some onion and mushroom (and again peppers if you like) take your bread split down the middle and generously ladle on some mozzarella cheese and some pizza sause and nuke till its melted. Put the meat onion and mushroom on top and enjoy. I use a type of sausage that is native to this area called cudighi. Its an Italian sausage with a bit more flavor and kick to it. But even your breakfast sausage will work well.

Another favorite of mine is chicken frying cube steak again. after there fried to almost done take them out of the pan and put them on a baking dish and add mozzarella cheese and put them on a cookie sheet and broil till the cheese is browned. make some spaghetti noodles and in another pan fry some onion and a good amount of thin sliced garlic and when there done mix it in with the noodles. It adds flavor and keeps it from being dry. Then ladle your favorite spaghetti sauce over it and enjoy. As you can see I use a lot of cube steak. there great in dishes like this and there even great on the grill if you don't get carried away and over cook them. About all my steak other then back straps is put through the cuber attachment on my grinder.

Another little hint for the summer sausage makers here. I take my venison summer sausage once in a while and slice it about a 1/2 inch thick and fry it in butter with a couple eggs. It almost tastes like smoked ham but with a lot more flavor. Its also better then ham on a pizza.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 11-05-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    thanks buddy!!!!!! I just gained 5lbs reading this and got a dose of the munchies, lets see now whats in the fridge?

Boolit Grand Master

I like the way you cook , Everything Fried taste's good and you used the term fry or fried eleven times....along with butter , several cheese's , sausage , onions and French bread ...Oh My , that all sounds good.
    Now I'm hungry!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Gonna make cheese steaks for sure!

I don't know what "chicken fried steak", is, never had it, not sure I want to, but I know that cheese steak sub with onions and peppers and mushrooms is almost Nirvana. Never had one with venison steak but its gotta be good.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Master

A man after my own heart! Though we’ve never met in posts I see we share a lot in common on table fare ,guns , and how to treat people we love and respect! We cook venison pretty much some of the same ways, and enjoy 9mm ARs with cast and jwords.

Banned

chicken fried steak is steak fried like chicken. I don't deep fry it though. I dredge it in flour with some salt and pepper and FRY it in BUTTER. Lately ive been using drakes fish batter as the flour though. I sent the wife to the store to buy some to cook some filets I had and instead of a small box of it she came back with a 3lb bag. Was cooking venison a month or so ago and went for the flour and saw that bag and said what the heck ill give it a try. So it coated the venison with it (dry not mixed with water. I actually don't like even fish when it is used with water and you get that greasy crust) and I think I like it better then plain flour. When I chicken fry steak I also like to cut up a clove of garlic and some onion and fry them along with the meat. the garlic and onion flavor tend to stick to the meat better then if your just frying plane meat. Got some venison out right now. Stroganoff for supper tonight. Another favorite of mine but I don't do it often because the wife isn't crazy about the sour cream taste. I think shes nuts!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG67 View Post
    I don't know what "chicken fried steak", is, never had it, not sure I want to, but I know that cheese steak sub with onions and peppers and mushrooms is almost Nirvana. Never had one with venison steak but its gotta be good.

Banned

Yup two of lifes greatest pleasures. Venison for supper and a 9mm ar15 at the range with a coffee can full of ammo!
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    A man after my own heart! Though we’ve never met in posts I see we share a lot in common on table fare ,guns , and how to treat people we love and respect! We cook venison pretty much some of the same ways, and enjoy 9mm ARs with cast and jwords.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    chicken fried steak is steak fried like chicken. I don't deep fry it though. I dredge it in flour with some salt and pepper and FRY it in BUTTER. Lately ive been using drakes fish batter as the flour though. I sent the wife to the store to buy some to cook some filets I had and instead of a small box of it she came back with a 3lb bag. Was cooking venison a month or so ago and went for the flour and saw that bag and said what the heck ill give it a try. So it coated the venison with it (dry not mixed with water. I actually don't like even fish when it is used with water and you get that greasy crust) and I think I like it better then plain flour. When I chicken fry steak I also like to cut up a clove of garlic and some onion and fry them along with the meat. the garlic and onion flavor tend to stick to the meat better then if your just frying plane meat. Got some venison out right now. Stroganoff for supper tonight. Another favorite of mine but I don't do it often because the wife isn't crazy about the sour cream taste. I think shes nuts!
    One of my favorite quick lunches is to make a mock Stroganoff using canned venison or wild boar. I like the sour cream, too!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Yup two of lifes greatest pleasures. Venison for supper and a 9mm ar15 at the range with a coffee can full of ammo!
    Amen!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG67 View Post
    You haven't experienced a heavenly delight.....chicken fried steak , gravy and mashed potatoes is a wonderous thing to consume....You need to put this on your bucket list !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    You haven't experienced a heavenly delight.....chicken fried steak , gravy and mashed potatoes is a wonderous thing to consume....You need to put this on your bucket list !
    yup chicken fried steak is as much a staple in my home as hamburgers and chicken. Probably at least once a week we eat it prepared in some way. Especially when the stash of cube steaks is still big.

Boolit Master

Made our cheese steaks! Good stuff!