Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dementia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    My Mom had early onset of Altzheimers. We first noticed it at 55. Never really got along with my Father but I will give him credit for caring for her. Will never know if out of guilt or love, but he took good care of her. She only spent four days in a facility before she passed. It is a horrible disease. I even had a study done on me to establish a baseline. I started taking DHA almost ten years ago after seeing a PBS special and will say it has done wonders for my mental thinking.
    What’s DHA ?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Boolit Master
    I have an Uncle and MIL with Dementia. It’s so stressful for all involved. I pray that I don’t get it, for my kids sake.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    My mother law has it, could write a book about all the stuff my wife had to go threw before she was put in a home.We lived 200 feet from her ,the rest of the family lives did not help not fun.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for answering Mr_Sheesh. I take the Jarrows brand and get mine from Amazon. Like I said it works for me but everyone is different.

Boolit Buddy
    Hickory, thanks for posting. Getting something like this off our chests is important so I’m glad you did. I’m going to take advantage and do the same...

My dad (now 84) is 2 years into his dementia diagnosis. We kept him at home with mom (75) for awhile but it didn’t take long to realize we couldn’t trust him to be safe, mostly for himself so we moved him into an Assisted Living Home.

This past July he fell out of bed and broke his hip. My mom and I had to decide whether or not to have surgery. He was a very active man (no wars yet a Marine Vet) and we knew he would want the better chance of walking again so went with the surgery. They told us 50% of people in his situation don’t live past 6 months after a hip break, surgery or not. When we were told that, I had had to leave the room shortly after because my mom was looking strong and i didn’t want her to see how i was about to take it.

He’s still kicking, but now in a Nursing Home, with a roommate and still in a wheel chair. Like someone else described his loved one, my dad forgets day to day but when i visit I try getting him to tell me stories of his past because he seems to remember those easier. My mom visits every day and I every weekend (both of them separately). He was 40 when i was born so I’m still learning things about him from these stories that i never knew before! I love it, it makes me sad yet very happy.

I’m sorry for ranting. I don’t share this stuff with my RL friends, although i probably should rather than keeping it all inside. Thanks for letting me get this out. -Brad
    Last edited by birdadly; 11-07-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Boolit Master

My "Uncle" Joe had it. A good man, WW2 NAVY vet, ARMY Reservist/Green Beret, LAPD Homicide Detective. He went down the tubes fast. I went to see him once after he was committed.
    BIG MISTAKE.
    He kept confusing me with my DAD, who died 20yrs earlier. Now when I think of him that picture overlays all the good memories.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Some iteration of dementia seems to run in my ex-wife’s family. Unfortunately, it does not manifest until later in life which means there has been no ability to make any kind of informed decision as to whether or not to bring offspring into this world. Her Mother’s dementia occurred in her early/mid seventies. Now, as her brothers and sisters age symptoms began to show up in all but one, and in my opinion she has been weird from the outset. My ex left in 1991 to go to England to marry her first cousin! Eventually they moved to Canada (BC) when he retired. She (81 years) has had multiple mini-strokes over the last few years and this summer he (84 years) had to have a pacemaker installed. My boys told me he also was mentally deteriorating. They were both evaluated and found to be incompetent to continue to live independently, so they were placed in an assisted living situation. The day they moved in, he died of heart failure and she followed him within a week. I am concerned for my 2 boys, my Granddaughter and my Great-Grandson.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy
    I was in a bad head on car accident just over 3 years ago, my wife has noticed changes as I have so off I go to the doctors and then to a psychiatrist, she eluded towards some sort of brain damage caused by the accident, it is getting worse you can't fight it you just have to deal with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12