Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Removing only the lever and locking bolts Original 1886

Boolit Master

Removing only the lever and locking bolts Original 1886

Can I take the lever and bolts out without removing anything else.
    I have an internal lock up problem an I am hoping if I can do this it will allow to find the "real" problem causing the entire action to be locked up tight!

Again this is an original 86!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Yes, but IME the issue might be caused by the finger lever pin, that connects the upper tip of the lever to the bolt, has shifted position and is caught in a recess inside the inner receiver bolt raceway, blocking bolt movement.

1) Remove the finger lever stop screw from the upper/forward area of the LH receiver sidewall to expose the lever/bolt link pin.

2) Push the link pin as deep toward the RH receiver sidewall as it will go, and see if your locked up condition is resolved (if it is, re-install the stop screw).

If you need to go further:

1) Remove the lever/bolt pin via using a small drift pin through the small hole in the RH receiver sidewall just above the loading port & directly opposite the stop screw hole in the LH sidewall.

2) Open the lever, which is still connected to the locking lugs, to pull the lugs down/out of the bottom of the receiver.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I have not seen an 86 with a screw hole on the left side for removing the lever/bolt pin. The 92 and 94 have this screw hole. The 86 is a little tricky to get the bolt out because of the carrier and the link between the carrier and lever. Basically the action need to come completely apart, even the loading gate needs to come off because of the right side cartridge guide. The bolt and lever come out as a unit but the carrier link has to be disconnected first. Some of the late model 86s are the same as the 71 which has a little difference in the carrier.

Boolit Master

Maybe I should have told the history leading up to said problem.
    It happened some time ago and I put it in the safe to protect it from me while I pondered solutions and sought disassembly instructions for an original 86.
    Anyway something happened while I was shooting (CRS has hit on what) that required me to remove the loading gate, do whatever I did, reinstall the gate.
    Seems like I did something that caused me to dump powder in the action from a case that ended up sans boolit.
    Anyway push come to shove the round fired and locked up.
    Of course all of the screws would not turn, likely first attempt to do so since they assembled it in 96.
    Anyway light application of Kroil every so often and I was able to turn all of the screws . . . I did so just enough to add a touch of Kroil and stopped.

THANKS pietro . . .

Yes there is a screw up on the left side. I will reread you suggestion and try that solution first.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 11-06-2018 at 12:16 AM. Reason: add info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I have not seen an 86 with a screw hole on the left side for removing the lever/bolt pin. The 92 and 94 have this screw hole. The 86 is a little tricky to get the bolt out because of the carrier and the link between the carrier and lever. Basically the action need to come completely apart, even the loading gate needs to come off because of the right side cartridge guide. The bolt and lever come out as a unit but the carrier link has to be disconnected first. Some of the late model 86s are the same as the 71 which has a little difference in the carrier.
    I thought same !
    this is from the winchester book and is titled --
    "To Dismount the Gun"
    "Remove the stock.
    Unscrew the strain screw. (tension screw on the mainspring)
    Drive out the mainspring from left to right.
    Remove the Carier Spring.
    Take out the hammer screw and tang with sear attached.
    Draw out the Hammer.
    Remove the spring cover. (loading gate)
    Drive out the finger lever pin and bushing.
    Draw the locking bolts out from below.
    Pull back the breech bolt until the lever connecting pin shows at the rear of the reciever.
    Drive out the pin. (lever connecting pin through the bolt - so winchester is saying separate these parts while they are still partly in the gun)
    Draw out the finger lever and carrier attached by the carrier hook.
    Remove the cartridge guide and magazine stop"

Looks like a 92 from outside - disassembly and assembly they are very different animals (wish it was as easy as this simple set of instructions makes it look - I only have a '71 clone - there are lots more pieces in an 86 original - but they break down more or less similar)
    I think there is a sticky on this I proly just repeated that!