Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety glasses reommendations

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Safety glasses reommendations

I read the post from the fellow who just had an accident with a pellet gun and the pellet coming back and hitting his glasses. I am terrible about not wearing safety glasses in the shop and I of all people know better. It seems every kind I buy attract dust so fast I can't see which is as bad. I would think there is a type that would work better but I have yet to find them........any suggestions? Thanks.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have prescription industrial safety glasses with amber lenses and side guards prepared by my eye doctor.

Mine have military American Optical aviator frames with Zeiss lenses and removable side guards.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

These are the high dollar shooting glasses I wear.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/pyr...th-clear-lens/

I have clear, tinted, mirrored, amber and a few other colors. I buy 6-8 at a time. When they get a smudge or a scratch, I throw them away. I know people with extremely high dollar glasses, Oakley's , Rudy's and whomever else. I tease them about how much I pay for mine. They scoff. I've shot mine with a 12ga shotgun from about 10-15 feet and they held up. I challenge them to test their's the same way.
    Former cylindersmith.

I have worn glasses since 1959. In the old days as long as I kept them clean all was ok. Now the plastics have static electricity. I use the same process for my safety glasses, my regular glasses and my motorcycle helmet. I use warm water and that foamy soap for the bathroom - works like magic. Then I dry with a well washed towel or more often a microfiber towel. But I suspect what will help even more is if you keep the skin on your face really moisturized with some sort of lotion before you put your glasses on. What a lot of people think is dust is actually bits of flaky skin. Water and a bit of soap reduce or eliminate the static electricity.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

Back when I was a Teen shooting TRAP & SKEET, I tried a rental WIN 1400 SKEET gun. It malfunctioned on station 7, not firing the 2nd shot. I dropped the Gun down to waist level and turned the breach up, the Gun then fired, ejecting the empty shell into my right eye.

Thank GOD my DAD insisted we wear shooting glasses.
    I've never fired a round since without wearing them. Except for my time in the service. Sometimes & places it wasn't practical.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Anti static screen cleaner.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Zoro Tools is a good place to buy safety glasses, too; Main thing is to WEAR THEM!

Boolit Master
    Be sure to use a strap on your glasses so they do not slide down your nose when sweaty. These days I think the lens materials are all impact resistant. Just be sure to always wear them and keep them up on your nose so they protect your eyes.

One of my co-worker friend was working near a milling machine when a moron broke a 3/4" shank end mill because he had the spindle running backward. The 4" long end mill flutes hit him across the face cutting his lip requiring 3 stitches. The other end of the cutter hit his company supplied safety glasses and actually broke one lens. Yet his vision was unharmed....
    Last edited by EDG; 11-05-2018 at 01:09 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy

fastenal has good sun/saftey glasses. I buy em by the case

Boolit Buddy
    One day in the summer I was shooting my FNX45 wearing my sunglasses which I thought provided enough protection. one round sent brass flying almost straight up which landed so perfectly that went through the crack and behind my glasses ended up getting stuck on my cheek. Took me maybe a second or two to get it out but it was too late I had big burn mark there for a while. Now I wear safety glasses only and make sure they seal on top so no brass can get in there. Baseball hats always help with this issue too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Zoro Tools is a good place to buy safety glasses, too; Main thing is to WEAR THEM!
    Good place to buy the banded foam ear plugs as well.
    Feel like Hickok45
    But they are handy
    I wear thick polycarbonate prescription glasses
    No ANSI rating but I have no doubt they will take a hit
    Baseball hat brims have deflected many things from my face, branches etc, and provided some deflection when I hit my head on something.

Does anyone have an idea where a fellow could get safety glasses the will fit over a pair of prescription glasses? I can usually find sunglasses that will, but safety glasses are another issue. I don't want to pay the high price for prescription safety glasses but my regular glasses allow stuff to come around the sides, top and bottom.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

Most lenses today are a form of safety glass what keeps them from getting the etching in the lense is the frames arnt safety rated. The frames are as important as the lenses. When I started in the trades we could get the removeable side shields, Or we cut them from plastic pop bottles. But after a few years most companies and safety groups required fixed side shields on true safety frames and lenses. The newer lenses are good and don't scratch near as easy as earlier ones but when grinding with the various hand grinders ( 90*,pencil, die,) they will pot from the sparks if you arnt careful.

If we are talking about glasses for shooting. IMHO there is no better than Decot Hy Wyd. Give them your prescription. Your eye measurements and the colors you want. I had a set for shooting trap with the proper Lite Vermilion color that corrected my astigmatism. I've since had cataract surgery and now have 20-25 vision in both eyes. It also corrected most of my astigmatism. I sent my frames back and for $100.00 + $14.00 freight I received one pair of Lite Vermilion to shoot trap with and one pair of Amber to shoot pistols and rifles with. They are the best people to deal with. They called and verified everything I wanted and even suggested a shade for the Amber that helped my sensitivity to light.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

The biggest thing with safety glasses is:

(1) FIT. If they are uncomfortable, you won't be wearing them when you need them most.

(2) Field of View If the curviture of the lens distorts the view or the frame gets in the way, (i.e. When you put a rifle or shotgun up and put your head down on the stock the nose bridge comes into your field of view) you won't wear them when needed.

+1 for Decot, I have a non script pair and when my peepers finally went an RX pair.

Boolit Master

I use Army issued Oakley shooting glasses, they are ballistically rated and seal pretty good against the face. With interchangeable lenses, you can shoot in any light, and are comfortable enough that you can wear them for the duration of the range time. I have some sawfly, issued as well, but I prefer the Oakley brand because of the number of lenses I have. There are a few different polishes which keep the lenses relatively dust free, cat krap (misspelled intentionally) is great for anti fog, and also repels dust (anti static), Fogtech also works decently, but it requires the lenses to be dry, can't apply when moist or it just doesn't do well. I recommend and use them both, it just depends on where/when I apply it.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I wear Rangers with three sets of different colored interchangeable prescription lens. But they are expensive. I also have prescription safety glasses with detachable side shields. If you don't need vision correction, you can go with any glasses that are the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) called the Z87.1-2010 standard.

On edit, If you wear glasses, consider purchasing safety goggles that will fit over your glasses.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot with a pair of Raybans. I use the generic type of safety glasses used in industry for working, casting, ect. The kind that you can buy at wholesale or Mill and Mine supply stores.

Boolit Master

For cowboy competition, I use a pair of Wiley X Romer IIs. These are a wrap around style, so do not need side guards. I have them made with my arms length prescription for my shooting eye and my distance prescription for my off eye. I find I quickly get used to the dual lenses and just start seeing good images at close (front sight) distances as well as target distances.

In the shop, I use those plastic goggles that fit over the prescription glasses.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I guess that I forgot to mention, I normally shoot every weekend. Shooting skeet, trap or sporting clays. I normally go through a flat "case" of shells a week.
    Things have slowed down now that I'm retired and back home but I plan to join a shooting club nearby in the near future and get back into my old shooting habits.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast