MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Browning buck mark 22lr best ammo you have tried

Boolit Buddy

Browning buck mark 22lr best ammo you have tried

Hello. Just wanted to ask what all you guys have tried and what seems to group the best in your buck mark. I know they likely wont group the same. So far I have ran probably 10 or so types and brands and best I seem to get is with the 40gr M22 stuff that's made for the tacticool rim fire rifles. I did get decent groupings at 25yds with remington golden bullets too but they are dirty as ever.
    It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...od-trade/page3

Boolit Master

Mine has always seemed to favor the old winchester wildcat line.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

If it's new yotatrd, it may need several hundred rounds before it "breaks in". CCI SV shoots pretty good in many of my .22s, as do Blazers.

Boolit Buddy

My buck mark is new. I put maybe 200rds between me and my oldest boy in one outing. I figured it may need 500 or so to break it in. Really love how simple it is compared to the old mark iii I had. Glad to see ruger finally figured out those awful takedown setups.

Anyhow I will see if I can find some Wildcats. Also think I have some cci but I hate to shoot that stuff as it's expensive but is usually very good quality. I might have some if those high end cci stingers to give a try but they are so fast and loud it may not turn out good. Really want a good quality pinker that groups well. Anyone run any Winchester auto match? I used to run it in a marlin model 70 that loved it.
    It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag

Boolit Master
    Mine likes cci standard velocity and Federal auto match.Both will shoot inside 1 1/2 inch at 25 yards using a rest and a red dot sight.

Boolit Master
    WW 40gr HP and CCI 40gr solid seem to be tightest groups for me. Both about 1250fps

Boolit Master

I usually use Federal Automatch in my BM target with excellent accuracy . with this combo I can usually shoot in the 285 to 291 score for indoor 50' BE , I usually use my High Standard target pistols and cci std and usually shoot 292 to 299 scores.

I never did any accuracy testing with different ammo in the BM but CCI std vel shoots well in all of my 22pistols & rifles

Super Moderator

I hate to be redundant, but here's another suggestion to try the CCI SV (Standard Velocity). It shoots very well in my match 22 LR pistols, as well as all the rest of my 22's. The only thing better IMHO is Eley 10X pistol, or Eley Pistol Match. If you are a serious competitor, these are hard to beat, but are quite expensive. For practice, there's a couple of steps down such as Eley Target or Eley Club. The CCI SV shoots so well, that I just use them for practice. Hope this helps.

Boolit Grand Master
    My 30yr old Buckmark likes everything. It really liked the WW SX . I would try some of the Browning HS stuff (1400fps) or some Aquila.

Boolit Master
    Back when I owned three Buckmarks, and was shooting IHMSA silhouette, my best ammo was Eley Target. I shot a good number of 60x60 scores with that ammo. Also, CCI std vel. shot pretty near as good.

Boolit Bub
    The standard statement of "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV) applies here. I had 2 Rugers that shot different ammunition so differently it was almost as if they were in different calibers. One shot Federal Auto-Match like it was the greatest thing going, the other grouped with it was if I was shooting a shotgun. The other liked CCI SV and nothing else.

I'm not shooting any bullseye competition but have found CCI St-Vel shoots well in S&W 41, several
    Hi Standards, old Ruger Mk-1 and many good field pistols of major brands. Unless I was shooting in
    competition the cost of match ammo is a waste. I have several thousands rounds of Match ammo but
    bought the CCI for general target shooting. This ammo also does well in my S&W 17s, 18s and 34.
    The hyper velocity 22s like Stringers, I have yet to find a handgun that likes them including Buckmark. Some field grade pistols will not work with ST-vel ammo, not enough pressure to cycle.
    The good thing with the newer pistols is they are made for Hi-vel ammo so you can shoot about any
    thing you want until you find what's best.

Boolit Bub
    CCI SV shoots well in all my 22’s. Better than any .22 bulk ammo. It’s the best in none though. You will likely find a “Target Grade” ammo brand your Buckmark likes best. I’d try some SK, ELEY, WOLF, LAPUA etc... start with their budget offerings (SK STANDARD PLUS, ELEY TARGET etc...)then may be work up to the higher end stuff such as ELEY TEN-X, LAPUA CENTER-X, SK PISTOL MATCH etc...

Quality and consistency comes at a price. Typically you can gauge it this way. I really like SK STANDARD PLUS for its price/quality when shooting groups. Really like CCI for hunting. I use the bulk stuff for plinking, plates, and fun. You’ll find the bulk your gun likes will shoot decent groups but often with flyers. I don’t buy much high end stuff.

If your on a tight budget look at Aguila offerings. I’ve come to like their SV and 22 mag ammo. The SV shoots right with CCI SV for me.

Hope this helps
    Rob

PS. Forgot to mention NORMA TAC22. My auto pistols like this ammo.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks fellas. I will look into some CCI SV. Seems now its easy to find 22lr at least for the time being. I have about 10k stockpiled but dont wanna break into it unless I have too. It's mostly the bulk rem golden bullet but I did buy a 50 pack and ran it and it works well enough to hunt in my 795 and the buckmark.

I also see a few boxes of the Eley stuff and I used to run it in a match chamber ruger I had years ago. It's kinda pricey to stock up on for a hunting handgun/rifle though. Also still on the lookout for some of that federal auto match. It ran pretty good years ago. I think most of the Std Vel stuff may give me better groups than those hyper speed stuff. Think 1080 or so is the sweet spot for SV loads. Will def take yalls advice and look for that cci sv

Boolit Buddy

Let me also say I am first and foremost a hunter but also like to target shoot. I'm not opposed to buying a few boxes of high end 22lr to test since my main goal is good accuracy for hunting rabbits etc from a BM, but also I do use bulk ammo for steel plate shooting and for my 7 year old. He is decent at shooting but needs some practice and confidence so I also wouldn't mind letting him run some good ammo to see how well he shoots to boost his confidence on the steel plates. We did run some Winchester M22 in the black bulk box. Think it's designed for the AR plinker rifles and it was roughly minute of 8 inch plate at maybe 50ft. Was just awful but does well in my 795.