Graf & SonsStainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone use bullet blocks for cap and ball?

Anyone use bullet blocks for cap and ball?

Just curious if anyone uses bullet blocks to make loading cap and ball rifles easier in the field. I have been working on a design for one for my .32 cal squirrel rifle but havent had a chance to test it out. Here is what I have so far.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Boolit Grand Master

I use a simple hard wood block with holes for the patched ball and a recess for the muzzle end of the barrel to center. These hold 5-10 balls. The wood is finished with a hard epoxy finish soI can run patched ball or a lubed bullet with out staining the wood.

Yea I thought about making a wood block, but this was easier (3D printer). I also thought about recessing the block in the design but im hoping the ball sticking out of the block helps center it. Trying to make it robust enough to beat around while stalking squirrels but quick enough for fast follow up shots if needed. Its a work in progress for sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe add a small blind holes along the edge for the caps also. Since the next step after seating the ball is capping this might be handy also.

Boolit Master

i always use ball boards, but since plastic isn't an 18th century material, i use that nifty all purpose substance we call wood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40bb.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	229868

Name:	DSC02606.JPG 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	229869

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Maybe add a small blind holes along the edge for the caps also. Since the next step after seating the ball is capping this might be handy also.
    Thats a good idea!

As for plastic vs wood, i do make my own powder and cast my own round ball, but when im hunting, Ive got rubber boots, a baseball cap, synthetic clothes, blaze orange, plastic water bottle, etc etc. Chances are, my rifle has been chemically blued and ployurathane coated. Dont bother me a bit to have a plastic bullet block! Once perfected, Ill print it with wood PLA, stain and seal it to match my wood stocked crockett rifle!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i always use ball boards, but since plastic isn't an 18th century material, i use that nifty all purpose substance we call wood.

Name:	40bb.JPG 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	229868

Name:	DSC02606.JPG 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	229869
    Yup!! and while the printer is foolin around trying to figure out how to turn itself on after old mate pressed the go switch - we would have our piece of wood drilled and ready to go

Boolit Master
    I've made a bunch of them for my .50 caliber ML's out of walnut. Drilled the half inch holes in some 3/4 x 1 1/4 inch scrap and ripped it down the middle to 3/8 thickness which allows the patched ball to stick out just enough to align in the muzzle. They come in handy doing a wood walk.