Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: 30-06 blanks

Boolit Buddy

30-06 blanks

Can 30-06 blanks be used to for regular full power loads?

I came into some fired LC blanks that I'd consider turning into reloads. I remember hearing that 5.56 blanks with the star crimp couldn't be used as the brass was weaker. Now I see guys using it for 300 BLK cases. Obviously that's different.

I'm not short of brass, but I'd prefer not to take usable brass to the recycle man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Someone correct me because I'm likely wrong, but I seem to remember something about '06 blanks being thicker, thus having reduced capacity that obviously spikes pressure?
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...06-Blank-cases
    This might be of help as well.

Cheers,
    Cowboy
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy
    The thread referenced above is a great one; I had considered using only cast in these cases due to these kind of pressure concerns.

My pet 30-06 cast load is 20.0 gr 2400 under a lee 170 gr bullet. I think it is their copy of the Lyman 31141. I would likely start at about 18 and work to 20. That load is just magic in my Ruger M77.

Boolit Grand Master
    as the sage observation, made by Ben, it's a hit & miss on the quality of blank brass. that said, I annealed some blank brass, trimmed it up, inspected it and loaded standard loads. YMMV

I did this awhile back and still have a few of the cases as I can tell by the ring on the neck. They worked fine. If memory serves, I also inside neck reamed the necks. I believe most of them are gone now as I was shooting them in a match were it was hard to recover the empties. I have plenty of -06 brass now.

In Remembrance

Many years back I was given an MG belt of .30-06 blanks that were Canadien made. About the same time I heard not to use the brass due to various irregularaties from normal brass. I still have about 200 unfired .30-06 Canadien blank rounds in a special container marked with what they are.Robert

Boolit Master

I have used them to form 8mm out of

Boolit Master

As common as 30-06 brass is, I wouldn’t even consider using blank brass for anything other than its intended use. Outside of the question of strength, the work involved to reform this brass is not worth the effort if there is any question on its reliability.

Understand that this is my opinion....
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    There's no forming needed, just a resize and trim to length. And remove a military crimp.

Thanks for all the replies, set up my prep station last night and should be able to finish prepping them this week.

I have never had any problems using them with full loads.

Boolit Master
    I have used the 30-06 blanks with the ringed necks and paper wad discs with out any problems.
    EDG

Boolit Man

Maybe once

Quote Originally Posted by 0802 View Post
    Can 30-06 blanks be used to for regular full power loads?

I came into some fired LC blanks that I'd consider turning into reloads. I remember hearing that 5.56 blanks with the star crimp couldn't be used as the brass was weaker. Now I see guys using it for 300 BLK cases. Obviously that's different.

I'm not short of brass, but I'd prefer not to take usable brass to the recycle man.

I say no because of the blanks crimp I can see the end of the neck separating at the weakened juncture , Causing the gun to be useless .

Boolit Master

I have no experience with 06 blanks but have had plenty of headaches with 5.56 blanks converted to 300BO. Everything from primer pockets being deformed and made shallower when swaging to neck thickness not being consistent. I would be very hesitant to use blanks for brass, it's obvious that it is a lower quality.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    As common as 30-06 brass is, I wouldn’t even consider using blank brass for anything other than its intended use. Outside of the question of strength, the work involved to reform this brass is not worth the effort if there is any question on its reliability.

Understand that this is my opinion....
    I'm with you Uncle. I once converted some 7.62 blanks just to see if I could. Trimming, turning or reaming the necks, ect was a lot of work. If I had it to do over again I would have just left them linked up and displayed them on a wall in my gun room.

Boolit Man
    In the very past, I used a lot of 30-06 blanks(berdan) from the AI factory, I remove the ringed neck with a trim die. The IMI (boxer) in .308 on the same way. It works .In the present , a use the cases weeklys in CB loads.
    Reduced all of them.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You could use 30-06 blank cases, cut down, to make 45 Colt ("Long Colt") shotshells, that should work OK.

Boolit Master
    I form 7.65 mauser out of blanks. about three other people and I have used them for yeas with out problems.