WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Henry 45 Colt carbine bullet

Boolit Man

Henry 45 Colt carbine bullet

I did a cursory search but didn't find much. Any you guys who own Henrys do a cast of your chamber? I was hoping someone with a 45 carbine might share their numbers with me so I don't have to buy some Cerrosafe. I already have a Mihec 45 Colt Ruger mould and I'm hoping it will work. Lots of nose options from flat nose to extreme hollow point. I believe it throws 454, should be able to size down to 452...if the Henry throat is about that size. Thanks for any input from the members.

I use a Accurate mold, 45-255A, size at .454 and have very good results.

Boolit Man
    Thanks MyFlatline. All information is helpful. I plan on loading hunting loads primarily... at least right now. Did you ever do a chamber cast? Got throat dimensions? I plan on using IMR 4227 but I've got Re7, 296, 2400 and Lil Gun.

No Sir, I hit it right off with Unique and saw no reason to change. All I did was slug the bore, no chamber cast. I talked back and forth with Tom at Accurate and he was spot on.

Not sure what you mean by hunting loads, but the 45 colt is the only round to travel the 24"'s in my bullet trap and tap the steel. The 308 MX only makes about 8"'s.

Best of luck.

Boolit Man
    Hunting loads to me means, heavy-for-bore bullet at the highest REASONABLE velocity with REASONABLE accuracy within 100 yds. Ideally, I'd like to use the same bullet I cast for my Ruger Bisley 45. I got it here in a group buy a few years back. The length of the bullet is designed specifically for Ruger cylinders. Not a thing wrong with playing and punching paper, I just wouldn't hunt with those rounds. For playing I'd use another bullet and some quick pistol powder like you did.

I don't have any chamber measurements but in my henry I shoot a noe 454-290-rf bullet sized 454 with unique and 296 with good results .

Quote Originally Posted by 30calpal View Post
    Hunting loads to me means, heavy-for-bore bullet at the highest REASONABLE velocity with REASONABLE accuracy within 100 yds. Ideally, I'd like to use the same bullet I cast for my Ruger Bisley 45. I got it here in a group buy a few years back. The length of the bullet is designed specifically for Ruger cylinders. Not a thing wrong with playing and punching paper, I just wouldn't hunt with those rounds. For playing I'd use another bullet and some quick pistol powder like you did.
    That's where we differ..I want the highest accuracy, as velocity in that size bullet really has little bearing. As I mentioned, it has more penetration than any other caliber or load that I do. That includes the 444. BTW, that is my hunting load.

Boolit Man
    Mike69 454 seems a bit 'big' for 45 Colt chamber but...if it works and it's not difficult to close the action...hey! And MyFlatline, to differ is OK. Wouldn't it be boring if we all agreed? Nothing would ever improve or change.

Boolit Master

30calpal, most new .45 colts are .454 cal. not the older .452. So the smaller size is under bore dia. for most newer guns.

Boolit Man
    So, jimb16, to be clear, you're talking about the chamber /throat dimensions...that's what I'm interested in, not bore. Thanks

Boolit Master

I'm not even going to bring dog to this fight.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

My friend had a Henry in 45 Colt until he got stupid and sold it. Great gun and a great shooter. Groups were similar to what MyFlatline posted. He didn't have a place to shoot it for practice beyond about 75 yards. The majority of testing/practice was done at 50 yards.
    He was using the Lee 452-255-RF and the Lee 452-230-TC. He sized them to .454 and never had any issues with chambering or leading with either of them.
    They shot to slightly different impact points but both grouped consistently well.
    He never did slug the barrel or do a chamber cast.
    My point being, if it chambers fine, shoots fine, and there are no leading issues, why do you need a chamber cast?
    Particularly of someone else's rifle?