Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ducks

Banned

Ducks

Never hunted them, but I took my little row boat in to where my main tree stand is this time of year only to find that the tree it's in is way out in the water, had to wade thigh deep water to get into it and it's normally 40-50 yards in from the shore line. This is going to change the movement patterns of the deer enough that I think I'm going to have to hunt somewhere else.

It was a real experience getting that little boat out though. Had it 25 years or so, but not in the water for at least 15, and she rows nice, easy to get in and out of the water from an undeveloped spot and is stable. With the flooded lake, negotiating through all the flooded timber and such was fairly easy in it too. Though the deer hunting didn't work out, I have NEVER seen so many ducks in my life.

I'm not going to go all out and buy a bunch of decoys and such, but it occurred to me it would be real easy to hide that little boat in the brush packing the old 835 and just shoot at them as they flew over. Could it be that simple? I had a lot of them fly over within shotgun range during the couple of hours I say out there. Can anyone recommend a good book with pictures of the various species? This is what KDWP says are the limits and I'm not real sure I could identify them on the wing;

"Six ducks is the daily bag limit, which may include no more than two canvasbacks, two redheads, two pintails, three wood ducks, three scaup and five mallards (only two of which may be hens). The daily bag may comprise six of any other duck, such as six teal, six gadwall, or six wigeon."

I sure don't want to get in trouble for shooting the wrong thing. I'm seriously considering giving this a go.

Moderator Emeritus
    Here you go: https://flyways.us/duck-identification-resources

Don’t forget that you need both a federal and state duck stamp. Federal is available at the post office. State wherever you buy licenses. About $40 total.

Boolit Master

You need to get a Federal Duck stamp from the Post Office.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned

Yeah, the stamps and permits are fairly straight forward. I have a shotgun that'll handle the loads necessary and which I don't mind getting wet. I've always been worried about shooting the wrong thing.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Go get em Rich!!! I went yesterday. Got some of that!!! Lots of Mallards and such...

I would tell you, tooling up for steel reloading is way different then loadin lead in shotshells. Might be good for you to go buy some steel shells, and see what ducks are all about. Be prepared for fast shooting, lots of shells, and great fun.. manage your expections though, shooting ducks is an art form. Don’t be too hard on yourself on misses. Keep trying, and try some more. You will get em.

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned

Yeah, not gonna get into reloading steel. I have some around and the local Wal Mart is full of the shells for ducks now. Would like to try some bismuth in my older guns, but steel is probably what will happen for now.

Next weekend is shot for me, but after that, I might give this a try.

I don't know Rich, most duck hunters fair warn newbies about the addictiveness of duck hunting. So you have been warned.lol It can be a high speed blast at times, fun fun fun fun fun. It can have its doldrums though depending on weather, pressure, etc, its huntin. It can be addicting as cast boolits. For table fare it can be almost as good a backstraps, but not quite. Some the the ducks you will have to figure out what to do with them like lower deer legs and shanks according to your own palate. It can be that simple sometimes, but not always especially when buying licences and stamps. If you got a boat and an 835 and waders or hip boots you have some of the basics. With a couple dozen cheap dekes off of craigslist or Dicks and a entry level duck call would really be all you need to start off with, probably less than a C note. Pass shooting them can be necessary sometimes, but the joy and wonder is calling them into the deke pocket wings cupped and feet down is a sight to see. There are all kinds of data on duck identification on youtube and the internet to learn how to identify them. But, figuring out or knowing new broods and eclipse plumages can be a little more difficult especially in air. There is only about 6-8 ducks of each puddlers and divers to learn. Most of them in full plumage are easy to ID.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Would like to try some bismuth in my older guns
    I used Bismuth in my 1937 L C Smith. It didn't take too many boxes to convince me to buy a new shotgun for steel and keep my old beauty for upland hunting.

If you have a go at it, with steel go down one choke, so for full choke pattern use modified, for modified then Improved cylinder. I just won't shoot steel in my fixed choke guns, means my Win Model 12s and Belgium A5's stay home. I have a Rem 11-850, Mossburg 500 and new A5 (1987) that work fine with steel.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

LOL It is that easy sometimes

If you are in a area the ducks fly through

One weird thing that works if the area you will be hunting don't get hunted much
    CHEAP ... almost FREE decoys
    2 liter pop bottles
    Uses a 6" bolt or re rod .... even a long slender chunk of lead in each one ... what ever to get them bottle to float level
    Paint them Flat Black

Tie a length of 60 lb or heavier Mono or any dark cord to the bottle at the neck and add a 4-6 oz weight to the cord
    2 -3 X as deep as the water is where you will be hunting

Ducks may not drop in
    But lots of times they will slow down and look and sometimes make another pass

This will give you a better chance to shoot

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Banned

That's a neat trick, John. Might give that a try if I decide to take this seriously.

One rare bitter day we did the same on a frozen stock pond with black painted 1/2gal milk jugs. The ducks actually skidded on the ice as we shot them. It was surreal. Lead shot back then; way better than steel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    You will enjoy it! When I was stationed overseas for several years, I realized that what i missed most was deer hunting and duck hunting. I wouldn't worry too much about the species of ducks since the first two are freebies. After that just stick to drake mallards until you become more familiar. You don't have to get crazy with decoys like some hunters do. Just get yourself six mallard decoys and six wigeon decoys and you will be covered and put the widgeons on the outside. As for a blind, three political yard sign wood stakes (4"x 1"x2") and six feet of khaki cloth stapled to the stakes will do the job.

Don't take it seriously at first, just stick your toe in the water, it can get to your pocket book if you let it. If you use the 2 liter pop bottle trick put them in the freezer before you put the cap on. If you put the cap on on a nice 70 degree afternoon and go to put them on the cold Nov water they will pop and crinkle plastic noises while they shrink from the cold air. Here is a DIY decoy anchor tip since you should have some Pb or WWs. The strap is for pure Pb and goes around necks or keels. It can be poured into just about any channel metal with a couple of nuts on each end. The disc is WW and can be poured into a small wheel race just sitting on top of a piece of sheet steel with some 12-3 romax about 12" long and stripped enough to put a couple of Ls in the lead. The plastic coating is easy on deke paint jobs. 80 or 100 lb test mono is cheaper than decoy line and blends to all water conditions. Notice the little hacksaw cut in the keel near the front. You can use those to adjust the length of line with a half hitch for the depth of water you might be in. If you know you are going to always be in waist deep water or less you can go with a Texas rig. Another tip, if you do shoot one and it lands on the water, but is still sitting like a deke, SWAT it fast before it dives and finds a weed to clamp on to, because you won't find it then. If the bug catches you, you might need psychiatric later.lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180919_00_36_43_Pro.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	229932
    Last edited by OnHoPr; 11-05-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

I love jump shooting them from the ponds by sneaking over the dam and try to get a triple with my 870 using 3" steel #4s. I never do but often get a double- just right for a nice dinner for my wife and I!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I love jump shooting them from the ponds by sneaking over the dam and try to get a triple with my 870 using 3" steel #4s. I never do but often get a double- just right for a nice dinner for my wife and I!
    I like jump shooting them best myself. Tough to find places to do it, but fun when I get the chance. Decoys can sometimes be lots of fun, and sometimes it can be boring sitting there.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Well Rich???? You kill a duck????
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned

Won't be able to get out there for another couple of weeks. We'll see then whether I decide to try to fill my buck tag again, or try the ducks.

Boolit Master
    Another tip, if you do shoot one and it lands on the water, but is still sitting like a deke, SWAT it fast before it dives and finds a weed to clamp on to, because you won't find it then. If the bug catches you, you might need psychiatric later.lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180919_00_36_43_Pro.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	229932[/QUOTE]

Was going to say the same thing! If the head is still up when they hit the water, shoot them again! A duck with one wing can still move faster than you can in water and will get away! Good luck, it certainly is one of my favorite kinds of hunting.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

A flock was on one of my duckweed infested ponds this morning. Get fat, my prettys!
    I'll see you around Thanksgiving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast