Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ducks

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    LOL It is that easy sometimes

If you are in a area the ducks fly through

One weird thing that works if the area you will be hunting don't get hunted much
    CHEAP ... almost FREE decoys
    2 liter pop bottles
    Uses a 6" bolt or re rod .... even a long slender chunk of lead in each one ... what ever to get them bottle to float level
    Paint them Flat Black

Tie a length of 60 lb or heavier Mono or any dark cord to the bottle at the neck and add a 4-6 oz weight to the cord
    2 -3 X as deep as the water is where you will be hunting

Ducks may not drop in
    But lots of times they will slow down and look and sometimes make another pass

This will give you a better chance to shoot

John
    Marie and I saw a pair of hunters using this deke method last year at the Wister Unit/Salton Sea. They both had limits of greenwing teal and mallards. Go figure. I have used leftover white political posters folded in half (like a pup tent) and set in a cut grain field to decoy snow geese. Honkers won't buy this bit, but snows decoyed readily to about 25-30 yards before they wised up. Too late.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Rich when I drive through your area it amazes me the amount of water foul I see. He trapped a farm on the back side of Perry lake . I could have shot ducks and geese every day I was with him.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

USMC 77, USRA 79

I got 5 today.. 4 teal and one Mallard jump shooting. We don’t get a ton of ducks and even fewer geese here, but THIS is gunna be the year that I take my first Alaskan killed Goose...I am lucky to see a couple dozen that actually do a stop over. I do see flights way way up migrating south, but they rarely land, but THIS is MY year to get one finally.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Yeah, not gonna get into reloading steel. I have some around and the local Wal Mart is full of the shells for ducks now. Would like to try some bismuth in my older guns, but steel is probably what will happen for now.

Next weekend is shot for me, but after that, I might give this a try.
    Don't shoot steel in a full choke! Use Bismuth if your gun is tighter than a modified choke.
    Last edited by BrentD; 11-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Rich when I drive through your area it amazes me the amount of water foul I see. He trapped a farm on the back side of Perry lake . I could have shot ducks and geese every day I was with him.
    I hunted the Kaw River for 4 yrs when I lived in Kansas. It was spectacular duck hunting, with most of the birds that I killed roosting on Perry and flying down the Delaware to the river and then heading east or west along the Kaw. If they went west, I was in business. It was a grand time. I wish I could get hunting like that around here.

USMC 77, USRA 79

This mornings goose hunt...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5EE420F9-4B5B-4E09-8BBD-3FFC21B7BE5E.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	230171

Boolit Master
    Cool! You've got your goose and some plucking to do.

Boolit Master

Looks like a limit of geese, congrats

Brent D, several times after visiting my son in Topeka I would drive stright east on the state highway instead of getting on 70. The area around where you cross the Delaware, the fields would be full of waterfoul
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    You passed very close to my old hunting spot. It was a certain sandbar, near Lecompton. A magic spot. Oh to have a day there again!

Boolit Master
    Marko,
    this is what happened to my first goose this year...

It tasted better than it looked.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Are you kidding??? Looks fantastic!!! Rare - medium rare is the only way in my book for ducks.. pretty big hunk of meat.. bet it wasn’t a lesser.. prolly a full sized type... love to get a couple proven recipi PM’ed... I have cooked lots of ducks, but never a goose.. right now they are soaking in Salt water over night.. tomorrow is up for grabs, and heading back out in the morning.

Boolit Master
    Marko,
    I got your PM, but I'll just post what I did here in case it helps someone else.

That photos is half a breast from an 11# bird. I also cooked and entire leg at the same time. Both were scrumptious.

First I plucked the legs all the way up to the middle of the back, then I plucked the breasts. This went pretty fast and I pluck them directly into a paper grocery sack so it doesn't make much of a mess.

Next, I singed the pin feathers with a propane torch (this can be done before or after the next step).

I quartered the legs off just like you would quarter a moose. Cutting up to the top of the back makes sure that I got the best bites of meat next to the spine/pelvis. I cut the feet off with a pair of wire nippers or side cutting pliers. Then I fileted breasts out, leaving the skin on. Do this carefully because the best piece of meat is the "tenders" that lay close to the breast bone and ribs. A long, flexible fish filet knife is perfect for this. But then I use Filet knives on mule deer too.

My plan was to cook with the skin on to keep the meat from drying out and because most of the fat on the bird is right under the skin. But after it got so nice and crispy, I ate it all, and it was perfect!

The cooking part was super easy because I didn't have much to work with at the time.

I patted the meat down to get it dry. Then I rubbed it with olive oil and salted it heavily with coarse sea salt, coarse fresh ground pepper, and then dried marjoram (I would have preferred thyme and rosemary, but didn't have it).

I have a small knock-off of one of those Green Egg ceramic grills. I got this going at about 250 degrees F using lump charcoal and a few chunks of walnut for flavor. I put the meat on (skin side up), with a pizza stone below it so it got indirect heat only. Using a meat thermometer that I could leave in the meat, I let it cook until it was around 112-115 F in the middle. Then I take out the meat and the pizza stone for a few minutes and try to get the temperature up a bit (that was sort of difficult for some reason). When it is around 300F, I put the meat back on, skin-side down and let it toast a bit more. I pull the meat when the thermometer says 125-125F and let it rest before slicing thinly across the grain (because goose can be tough).

That's all there is too. Pretty simple really.

Best of luck, There is nothing quite like splashing a big goose over the water, unless it's watching your dog swim down his first wounded goose and make a great, long retrieve after a successful battle.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Very freaking cool Brent... thanks! Pic of your dog is totally priceless.
    You dog looks like he has a very firm grip on that Bird. I am assuming he did turn loose of it. Lol. What a good dog.
    Last edited by Markopolo; 11-10-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    I am totally proud of the lad. He is a hell of a dog and that is his very first goose.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Marko,
    this is what happened to my first goose this year...

It tasted better than it looked.
    That is perfectly cooked. I cook duck like that too. MMM,MMM. Let's eat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

USMC 77, USRA 79

Today’s take...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	708-F7386-1628-4-F36-90-CD-30-DECFD46-B36.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	230215

Got six today... I am on the left

Marko

Boolit Master
    Man that's great! Are they Hutchinsons? They look smaller than our giants. We get Hutchies late in the season or afterwards.

Here is one of our Giants

USMC 77, USRA 79

Our are lesser Canada geese. Take 3 of them to equal yours. What do you shoot yours with? 375H&H? BB or 00 buck? What part of the country are you in? Geese are pretty uncommon around here. I found a place where they like to land and been Jumping them every morning when they come in to feed. While they last.. hopefully they will last another week or so.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if lessers are the same as Hutchies?

I use Bismuth #2s and 80 or 90 grs of Swiss 1.5 fg. Penetration is excellent, through feathers, breast muscle and sternum into the chest cavity.

USMC 77, USRA 79

So your loading in plastic shells or all metal shells? Maybe you could post some pics of your load building, wad stuff and so on.. I know lots of folks are interested in BP duck and goose.. maybe a new thread is in order

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast