RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Glenfield 30

Boolit Bub

Glenfield 30

I bought this Glenfield carbine new in 1979 for $129.00 at our local Western Auto Store. Since then, many animals have been downed by its deadly bullets. My nephew recently killed a big doe with it while hunting the edge of a meadow within the Black Hills. One shot through the chest organs did the job.

The top photo shows me and a dandy buck taken within the same area back in 2002. I located the buck with my binoculars and made a long stalk in rough country to get into 30-30 range. Distance was about 125 yards. At the shot, the buck bounded away but toppled over after a few jumps. We prefer hunting in western South Dakota over other states because of the easy access to public lands and the excellent game populations there. My buddies always whine about me taking the Glenfield on my western hunts. "You should buy a 270", they say. But this carbine has never let me down and stalking within good shooting distance is half the fun. I feel that it is a myth that only long shots are possible for western hunts.

This carbine definitely shoots 150 grain core-lokts best of all. I zero it for 150 yards and at this distance, 3 inch groups are predictable when I do my part. These photos show what it will do at 100 yards and at 150 yards. 30-30 is a keeper!

TR

Boolit Master

I agree. That's why they call it hunting!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Bub
    Taking a deer after a well planned stalk is incredibly satisfying. The old 30-30 cartridge can always be depended upon to produce a lethal wound channel at ranges out to about 150 yards or so with traditional ammo. The newer Lever-evolution ammo by Hornady is supposed to extend its reach even more so but I have not yet tried it. In summary, 30-30 works just fine when the shooter aims his carbine to shoot through the chest organs. All 30-30 bullets are designed for rapid expansion and deep penetration and I've witnessed this performance several dozen times during my hunts.

TR

Boolit Master
    I started out with a bolt -06 at 13, shot a buddies M94 back then and it cheeked slap the poo out of me so no interest in the levers. Fast forward about two decades and I shoot an 1895 in 45-70, ooh I had to have one of those, and then another, and then another. I have several 30's (not A's) now in 30 WCF and one I converted to .444. Every one I own is very accurate and repeatable and guess which rifles the grandsons are going hunting with for the first few years? Congrats on that tall rack, hamburger, stew, and back strap, Oh-My!

Boolit Master
    I traded for an old glenfield 30 with a rear Williams peep sight for my daughter. I would take it hunting anytime...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight grip Marlins/ Glenfieds are sweet. I still like my 36G but it could lose a few curves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Nice Buck, spot & stalk. Now that is REAL Hunting.

That looks like the 336T version with the 18 1/2" bbl.
    Same carbine as MARLIN name, better price.
    Wish I'd bought one when I had the chance. But I was seduced by the new WIN Trapper .30-30 (1981).

Jumped a lot of deer out of their beds down in the Cleveland National Forest east of Lake Elsinore before they started building houses up against the Nat Forest Boundry.
    Managed to pot a few too. HORNADY 150gr RN over IMR3031 for me. Williams FP Receiver sight. Sometimes the Sierra 150 Spitzer, one in the Mag, one up the spout.

You simply cannot beat the old .30WCF , I think It's killed every animal in the Western Hemisphere. Probably the whole world.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Just to be nit-picker, the OP's rifle is a Glenfield 30GT. Basically a Texan with budget wood. The Glenfield 30 had a pistol grip stock and half mag tube. I have one and it is the most accurate lever action I've ever tried!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I don't think I have ever seen a 30GT. I have had several Glenfield 30s all models with pistol grip stocks. I had a Texan 336 once back in 70s and wish I had held onto it, they are scarce and pricey
    if you find one. I never could warm up to Levers with pistol grip stocks. I went out of my way to get
    a Marlin 375w and gun shot and functioned perfect. I carried it one day and decided I didn't like it.

My deer hunting is done in thick cover and 30/30-35R class cartridges are all that's needed. I've shot
    a lot of deer in several states and have shot the bulk of them with these cartridges. The British have
    the right terms for this type of thing. They call it shooting if from a stand and hunting if they are in
    stalking mode. Most that bad mouth 30/30s have little experience of actual "hunting". I forget how
    many 94 Wins have been sold, over 6 million and Marlin has sold millions of 30/30s in various models
    along with all the lessor known makes and models. That may be the reason that 30/30s account for
    more deer that the other calibres combined.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Just to be nit-picker, the OP's rifle is a Glenfield 30GT. Basically a Texan with budget wood. The Glenfield 30 had a pistol grip stock and half mag tube. I have one and it is the most accurate lever action I've ever tried!
    Same with my 36G- the first Glenfield. It is so accurate with jacketed bullets it gives my custom 93 Mauser 30-30 a run for its money!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk