WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Uberti Cattleman Safety Isuue

Boolit Master

New Uberti Cattleman Safety Isuue

Fixed, See post #16

So I just picked up my new Uberti El Patron.
    It has the new firing pin safety built into the hammer.
    It will not function proper, if I squeeze the trigger slow it will fail to fire.
    If I pull the trigger fast it will fire.
    Basically the hammer falls faster than the trigger safety bar can engage, so I get a fail to fire.
    Have read this is an issue others have as well.
    Anyone have a fix that does not involve me sending it back to Benelli.
    Last edited by hylander; 11-10-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Grand Master
    Stop at the end of the first sentence. If it is not functioning properly when new, contact the Uberti distributor and arrange to have it examined by them on their dime. New guns are supposed to work right when you get them, and if they don’t, the manufacturer should make them right. I got my last Uberti SAA copy directly from Taylor’s and it was one of the ones they have their in-house gunsmith tune. As expected, it WAS right! The provider (whoever it was) of your Uberti should stand behind it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Good luck with Uberti. I paid a grand for one of their S&W break open models. It had light primer strikes out of the box, sent several emails, never heard a word. Ended up taking it apart and fixing it myself.

If I'm up to date on my reading, the current hammer safety was designed by the fellow that owns Cimarron FA Co. They have a couple of gunsmiths, and maybe you could find help there. This is at least the 2nd and possibly the 3rd go around with hammer safety designs for Uberti. I have a .32-20 with one of the earlier versions that was chewing up the inside of the gun, so I swapped it out for a regular Colt pattern hammer. Solved the problem, but the hammer cost $90.

Boolit Buddy
    You are pulling the trigger too slow! You have to find a happy medium between fast and too slow.

Have someone else try the gun to see what happens.

Boolit Buddy
    Cleaning may help. I have seen rust preventative put on at factory gum up, that could be causing your problem. If you still have a problem after a good cleaning of internals it should go back to where ever for replacement/repair.

Gebirgsjeager has the only real solution to the problem. I am fortunate enough to have a couple Uberti/Cimarron single actions without the safety mish mash but sure would not accept anything else.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I do not want to send the gun back, as from my research the thing works as designed.
    They say you must pull the trigger all the way back to the wall firmly.
    This defeats accuracy.
    I think I will just install a standard firing pin, remove the other safety **** and call it a day.
    I love the revolver, it looks awesome and shoots to center, but low which is good.

But were to get a standard firing pin ?
    Failure is not an Option

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    I do not want to send the gun back, as from my research the thing works as designed.
    They say you must pull the trigger all the way back to the wall firmly.
    This defeats accuracy.
    I think I will just install a standard firing pin, remove the other safety **** and call it a day.
    I love the revolver, it looks awesome and shoots to center, but low which is good.

But were to get a standard firing pin ?
    I've owned lots and lots of Uberti's over the years, and now have a Uberti Flat Top with the retracting firing pin (RFP). I don't like the RFP but Jiminy Christmas the revolver is freaking accurate!!! Anyhow the safety works fine on mine. I've ordered a replacement trigger and found a couple of used hammers on the SASS Wire, so I'm all set.

I don't blame you, I'd fix it myself too. Here's a what you're dealing with-

The trigger on the left is what comes with the RFP model, the one on the right is a standard trigger. The RFP trigger has the appendage that actuates a rod that runs up through the hammer, and in turn pushes the firing pin forward so it can strike the primer. You can probably replace the firing pin or somehow make it where it's forward all the time, but then there's no safety notch in the RFP hammer.

My suggestion would be to either modify the RFP trigger by removing the actuating appendage or buying a standard trigger. Then you can buy a standard hammer, or better yet one with the pivoting safety block, from VTI, Gun Parts Corp, Cimarron or Uberti and you're all set.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Thanks 35W,
    Where did you order the trigger from.
    I really want to keep my hammer as it is the low profile hammer.
    Failure is not an Option

I got the trigger from Midway, but it is unique to the Flat Top.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Is it only the Cimarron-supplied Uberti revolvers that have this "safety" feature, or is it on the ones from Taylor's as well? Don't you just hate it when something works and somebody feels obligated to change it??

Froggie

All Uberti produced revolvers, except the Model P or Old Model, have it but it will come with these also. This according to Chip, a Cimarron employee.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad I've already got an older 32-20 and 45 Colt. I guess I should grab a 44-40 while the old type is still available.

Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    What is the point of this safety changeup?
    Same as a transfer bar, it allows shooters to fill the cylinder with cartridges and not have to worry about handling their revolver carefully, you know...no more worrying about situational awareness, etc. And of course there's far less liability for the manufacturer as well.

If you look around, this is happening everywhere. When driving an automobile, common sense tells us to put our foot on the brake before we shift from park to reverse, but now cars are built so that we have no choice. I don't have to pay attention when I'm driving because my car will warn me if I cross the line or if I'm too close to another car, in fact it'll brake fo me! I saw the other day that they're now building table saws that shut down the nanosecond that anything other than wood touches the blade. So much for being careful when ripping that 2x6. I now need three hands to pour gasoline from the fancy, but super safe, spill-proof gas cans that Walmart is selling.

Rant over.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Well, yes its been awhile.
    Revolver sat in the safe because I have other things to shoot.
    But I finally decided to to take it apart and fix it.
    Took about an hour, because I had to make a very small spacer.
    Removed the safety plunger and spring.
    Made a spacer from a drill bit shank and placed it behind the firing pin
    to hold the firing pin out in proper position.
    Went to the range this morning and now this revolver functions as it should.
    It is very accurate and fun to shoot, it will be making a lot more range trips.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    Good to hear! I bought a Pietta because they don’t have the safety.

Boolit Bub
    Got my Catleman improved .45colt 4.3/4 about six weeks ago. About 500 rounds through it without any issue with that safety.
    Started shooting straight out of box, any style trigger jerking, pulling or squeezing makes no difference. Gun goes bang every time.
    Ordered another one same model, local gun dealer gets it straight from Uberti Italy.
    I have very strong feeling that my uberti is more accurate than I can shoot it now,first SAA, and it is now damn cold here for shooting outdoors. Dont have any indoor range nearby. Groups usually 3-4" at 25 meters sandbag wrists rested. Couple times 4 out of 6 shots well under 2".

Glad you got your Uberti fixed.

My most recent Uberti is a 7 1/2" Flat Top 44-40, with the retracting firing pin, to which I fitted a .44 Special cylinder. I've fired lots of revolvers over the last few years but this one is hands-down the most accurate I've ever fired. It shoots better at 75 yds. than most of my other revolvers shoot at 50. I bought, and still have everything I need to convert it to a 4-click example, but just haven't messed with it, figuring it best to leave well enough alone.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold

New Uberti Cattleman Safety Isuue

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I now need three hands to pour gasoline from the fancy, but super safe, spill-proof gas cans that Walmart is selling.
    You mean the same gas cans that I spill way more gas out of then the old ones because I do not have the third hand needed to effectively operate it and I have to buy because Californian are apparently too stupid to not spill gas out of the old ones while transporting them but are super geniuses that can effectively operate the new ones without spilling gas?

Why can’t they just put a hammer block safety on the bottom part of the hammer where you can’t see it and still keep the fixed pin?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast