RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Using my PID with my RCBS POT

Boolit Master

Using my PID with my RCBS POT

I have not used my setup much due to health issues.
    I fired up every thing to blend a new alloy.
    I set the PID to 750 F. When the pot hit 750 and I got a flashing light to set temp.
    I then started to random temps up 788F.
    Not sure what I did wrong. Should I have put in the temp at the start or when the pot
    reached the target. I need to get out the directions and reread.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Buddy
    We probably need to know what PID you are using. Normally the Set Value (target temp for alloy) is entered first. The pot should stay within a few degrees of the set value. Some PID's will keep +/- 2F, but some chinese units are more like +/-5F. Make sure you know whether the PID is in degrees C or F. The rest depends on what the model and make are.
    EDC

Boolit Master

I've only had 3 add-on PIDs but I feel safe in saying you should have set the temperature. Don't know about that one but some require you to input the temp and hit the set button. Usually the first step.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Grand Master

Has the PID been tuned for your pot. If it hasn’t you will get some temp swings. How much is dependent on the actual P, I and D values. What PID are you using?

Boolit Master
    I am using one that Hatch built last summer in a group buy.
    Leadmelter

Boolit Buddy
    With what PID cost, now it's no longer worth buying a furnace with electronic temperature regulation!
    I built various furnace: the cheapest I built it using an old fryer, which my daughters had thrown away! It was perfectly functional, but for them ... it smelled of fried oil!
    I took it apart, I made a solid base with a piece of steel tube and threaded rods, I mounted the furnace, and on this I mounted a PID.
    I recommend the PID INKBIRD ITC 100: it is the only one I found the user manual!
    https://pmod79883-pic31.websiteonlin..._Manual_V1.pdf
    It is typically sold in a kit that includes a K thermocouple and a uxcell Heat Sink + Solid State Relay SSR.
    They are found on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Therm.../dp/B00SH1VQZ2

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Solid-...2aa-11e8-a54c- a93e233805e9 & pd_rd_w = GkfjL & pd_rd_wg = b95zy & pf_rd_i = desktop-dp-sims & pf_rd_m = ATVPDKIKX0DER & pf_rd_p = 6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407 & pf_rd_r = 9B33YATZBEVJBHXK1GKA & pf_rd_s = desktop-dp-sims & pf_rd_t = 40701 & psc = 1 & refRID = 9B33YATZBEVJBHXK1GKA
    https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a12031...e-Temperature-
    Controller / dp / B00899A4LY / ref = pd_bxgy_328_img_2? _Encoding = UTF8 & pd_rd_i = B00899A4LY & pd_rd_r = f140bf45-e2 AA-11e8-a875-091c391444d5 & pd_rd_w = 29yRQ & pd_rd_wg = o96NP & pf_rd_i = desktop-dp-sims & pf_rd_m = ATVPDKIKX0DER & pf_rd_p = 6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407 & pf_rd_r = Z1E4B591XZ6685W7Y3DH & pf_rd_s = desktop-dp-sims & pf_rd_t = 40701 & psc = 1 & refRID = Z1E4B591XZ6685W7Y3DH

Then in another furnace I mounted a lead regulator, which has up to 6 outputs (for the 6 CV Molds)!

Quote Originally Posted by airone46 View Post
    With what PID cost, now it's no longer worth buying a furnace with electronic temperature regulation!
    I built various furnace: the cheapest I built it using an old fryer, which my daughters had thrown away! It was perfectly functional, but for them ... it smelled of fried oil!
    I took it apart, I made a solid base with a piece of steel tube and threaded rods, I mounted the furnace, and on this I mounted a PID.
    I recommend the PID INKBIRD ITC 100: it is the only one I found the user manual!
    https://pmod79883-pic31.websiteonlin..._Manual_V1.pdf
    It is typically sold in a kit that includes a K thermocouple and a uxcell Heat Sink + Solid State Relay SSR.
    They are found on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Therm.../dp/B00SH1VQZ2

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Solid-...2aa-11e8-a54c- a93e233805e9 & pd_rd_w = GkfjL & pd_rd_wg = b95zy & pf_rd_i = desktop-dp-sims & pf_rd_m = ATVPDKIKX0DER & pf_rd_p = 6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407 & pf_rd_r = 9B33YATZBEVJBHXK1GKA & pf_rd_s = desktop-dp-sims & pf_rd_t = 40701 & psc = 1 & refRID = 9B33YATZBEVJBHXK1GKA
    https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a12031...e-Temperature-
    Controller / dp / B00899A4LY / ref = pd_bxgy_328_img_2? _Encoding = UTF8 & pd_rd_i = B00899A4LY & pd_rd_r = f140bf45-e2 AA-11e8-a875-091c391444d5 & pd_rd_w = 29yRQ & pd_rd_wg = o96NP & pf_rd_i = desktop-dp-sims & pf_rd_m = ATVPDKIKX0DER & pf_rd_p = 6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407 & pf_rd_r = Z1E4B591XZ6685W7Y3DH & pf_rd_s = desktop-dp-sims & pf_rd_t = 40701 & psc = 1 & refRID = Z1E4B591XZ6685W7Y3DH

Then in another furnace I mounted a lead regulator, which has up to 6 outputs (for the 6 CV Molds)!
    Your last link there is pretty broken. How about this one? testing:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00899A4LY
    Last edited by squidtamer; 11-09-2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: correct link

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I bought a PID from he who must not be named. It has all the bells and whistles. I set mine to 700 and at first it usually runs up to 715 or so and after a bit it settles down to
    ±3 or 4 degrees.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    I bought a PID from he who must not be named. It has all the bells and whistles. I set mine to 700 and at first it usually runs up to 715 or so and after a bit it settles down to
    ±3 or 4 degrees.
    Frozone used the Mypin PIDs. He didn’t use a SSR to control the cycling. He used the relay output in the PID. I have one and found this out when the on/off switch failed. I’d wondered how he was able to get everything in such a small box. It’s because there’s no SSR in it. It works perfectly and the PID is cheap enough to replace if the relay fails.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'm still using one from "That guy LenH referenced". I built my next three, but his is still going strong and of course is the most compact.

But to the OP.... I think you just need to tune the PID to your pot and it'll settle down.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    ±3 or 4 degrees.
    As the grandkids all went to Halloween as Harry Potter characters, my first thought was "Voldemort sells PIDs?". I assume there is a story here I need to go look for. Off to the search engine!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by squidtamer View Post
    As the grandkids all went to Halloween as Harry Potter characters, my first thought was "Voldemort sells PIDs?". I assume there is a story here I need to go look for. Off to the search engine!
    Username is Frozone in case you missed it in my first post. I don’t know how much remains public. I think most of the issues happened through PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Username is Frozone in case you missed it in my first post. I don’t know how much remains public. I think most of the issues happened through PM.
    Yeah I figured the username out from both Forum searches on sales and your post. But all I can see is that he was banned. Ah well. PM me if you care. I'm always curious.

I'm looking to PID up a new-to-me Pro-Melt 1 (well v2 outa 3 if you count Ohio Thermal I guess?) sometime RSN myself. So this is a useful thread anyway.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Yea the guy has been banned and at one time had a website that has been taken down. He is a retired electrical engineer and was to say the least very vocal. Which lead to
    him being banned.

I bought a kit from him and followed his instructions and his SSR was a small one about the size of a thumbnail. The only problem I had was the thermocouple only
    lasted about 10 casting sessions and then burned out and was giving weird readings. Those things are relatively cheep and I keep a couple of extra on hand.

I also use the controller for a small electric smoker and use a separate probe for that a nd also use it for a powder coat oven and use a different probe for that.