RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: Solder Score At The Recycling Center

Solder Score At The Recycling Center

Last week I took 2 garbage bags of crushed Coke cans and a partial bucket of discard range brass to the only recycling center/scrap yard in Omaha that will trade for or sell lead. I came home with 30# of 50/50 Dutch Boy bar solder, another 5# of 63/37 solder, some unknown solder and a few pounds of soft lead. The total haul was 54#. At my age I may never need to buy anymore tin.

You done good !!
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a good score! Most of the yards around here won't sell to the public.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    great going. scrap yards around here quit dealing with lead. still have one 30 miles away that will still sell lead although at 96 cent a pound its a little pricey.

Boolit Master
    great find.it the last few years I dong find much solder here anymore

Nice haul. it doesn't take much of a bar of 50/50 to sweeten a whole pile of WW's. What you don't use you can always sell or swap to get different lead or some brass or whatever you need. I recently swapped some solder for shotgun primers. We both walked away happy.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

In Remembrance

I still have 1 of those `Dutch Boy` ingots from my plumbing days as I thought it was a cute looking bar.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, so much of that stuff looks too good to melt!

Boolit Buddy
    Several months ago a friend had sold his place and bought a place closer to town and ask if I wanted some old lead bricks ,he didn't want to move ( DUH ! ). About 50 #'s ,,took it home and stuck it under my work bench ( mini lathe & mill ) he told me they were used to block signals when they run some kind of test ??? Ok !! He stopped by to visit yesterday ,,saw the bricks and ask why I hadn't melted them yet , I said I " have been tied up with other duty's " but I did pencil test them to see what BHN they were ,, all but one of them are about 15-16 BHN, and I can't get one to scratch even w/ a 5-H pencil ,, "Oh! that's because it's almost pure ANTIMONY " 14 LBS. Ring's like a BELL !!! Sometimes life is good .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    Several months ago a friend had sold his place and bought a place closer to town and ask if I wanted some old lead bricks ,he didn't want to move ( DUH ! ). About 50 #'s ,,took it home and stuck it under my work bench ( mini lathe & mill ) he told me they were used to block signals when they run some kind of test ??? Ok !! He stopped by to visit yesterday ,,saw the bricks and ask why I hadn't melted them yet , I said I " have been tied up with other duty's " but I did pencil test them to see what BHN they were ,, all but one of them are about 15-16 BHN, and I can't get one to scratch even w/ a 5-H pencil ,, "Oh! that's because it's almost pure ANTIMONY " 14 LBS. Ring's like a BELL !!! Sometimes life is good .

Antimony melts at 1167F degrees, going to be hard to alloy. Are you sure it's antimony it's very brittle if you drop it it will break in half, maybe you got zinc?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I think he may be wrong about the amount of antimony ,,, it is very hard and does " ring " ,, and my 5-H hard pencil wont even start to scratch it ( sharpened and flattened the pencil 4 times ,, no scratch ") . It's will cold and rainy tomorrow ,, I'll saw off a piece and put in my pot ,, we'll just find out and let ya'll know .

Boolit Buddy
    Antimony up date ,,,it's not " PURE ANTIMONY " ,, I cast 4 bullets using a LEE 45acp. HP mold that normally cast @ 215gn. w/11-12-BHN hardness ,, the 4 rounds fell out of the mold slick as if oiled ,, weighed out @ 188.5gn. average ( 27gn. diff. ) and shiny as a chrome bumper on a 1953 Buick and had beautiful fill-out ,, # 5-H pencil still won't scratch it ,, melted the sample ( 5/8"x5/8"x1" ) in my testing "Tuna can " on my old Coleman heater . Melting temp ???? .