Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Observations on new Claybuster SW250-12 wads

Boolit Buddy

Observations on new Claybuster SW250-12 wads

Having recently heard about this new wad from Claybusters and having seen Buck and Slug Reloaders YouTube video, I decided to try them out. I had been using Claybusters CB1114-12 which is a direct replacement of Winchester's WAA12F114 with less than stellar results.
    I agree with the YouTube video that the new wad is considerably lighter in weight. When shooting the CB114-12 wad with the Lyman 525 gr slug using various powder/weight combinations, it always tore off 1-2 petals of the wad.
    While using the new "supposedly" beefier CB SW-250 wad it tears off 3-4 petals. The new wad also shows no noticeable increase in accuracy.
    All in all, I'm very disappointed in this new wad. And at twice the price with a pretty high shipping cost it stings even more.
    What are other people's findings ?
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by sealer View Post
    Having recently heard about this new wad from Claybusters and having seen Buck and Slug Reloaders YouTube video, I decided to try them out. I had been using Claybusters CB1114-12 which is a direct replacement of Winchester's WAA12F114 with less than stellar results.
    I agree with the YouTube video that the new wad is considerably lighter in weight. When shooting the CB114-12 wad with the Lyman 525 gr slug using various powder/weight combinations, it always tore off 1-2 petals of the wad.
    While using the new "supposedly" beefier CB SW-250 wad it tears off 3-4 petals. The new wad also shows no noticeable increase in accuracy.
    All in all, I'm very disappointed in this new wad. And at twice the price with a pretty high shipping cost it stings even more.
    What are other people's findings ?
    Dennis
    What slug did you use? When I did that video, that’s the first thing I noticed has they were lighter than similar wads.

I did noticed how the base seemed more rigid than the others. The base on regular shotshell wads have been a problem area with the slug blowing the base.

I’m loading some up with both Lee and Lyman 525’s and I’ll video the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got some of these as well to use with my Lyman slugs from my New NOE Mould. The base of the shot cup is much stronger than a regular WAA12 Wad and this wad looks like it is going to work well with that slug. They were like $16 with free shipping. I got a slug manual and some boxes in the same order and had to pay shipping for both of those at $17 so I bitched and they knocked shipping down to $9.

I won't know until I get some slugs made next week how they work, but the wad itself looks good.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I was under the impression that the Winchester WAA12F114 wad was much better than the Claybuster CB114-12 wad because it would not shear its petals.
    Dennis

Boolit Master

I bought and shot the SW250-12 with the Lee 1-ounce slug. Full length or petals trimmed to the ogive of the slug eroded to the cup base. The cup, despite using a 20-gauge nitro card between it and the slug, formed into the cavity of the slug around the key. The material seems very week. They were shot from my Marlin 512 using Cheddite 2 3/4" and 3" hulls.

I'm able to pick up the column wads on my range; I could not find all of those I shot as the scattered over a very large area. My remaining stash of Federal 12S3s land within a 3' circle even on a windy day, trimmed, all the petals are intact.

Wasted my money on this buy and added to the stack of column wads that don't work.

I will dig through my trash and see if I have any to take a photo of, but I think they all left in the garbage truck on Tuesday.
    Michael

Boolit Man
    I use claybuster 12s3 clone 7/8 lee slug, with petals trimmed in half and they look good enough to re-use so I save them for hard times. mine work so good for me I don't even look for another option.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by savage308 View Post
    I use claybuster 12s3 clone 7/8 lee slug, with petals trimmed in half and they look good enough to re-use so I save them for hard times. mine work so good for me I don't even look for another option.
    Is it the 100S4 or the 118S8? Here is my 12S3.

What slug gun are you using? Also, I would appreciate info on the rest of your components in your stack and the performance, both MOA and velocity?

Here is how I get a good, uniform, petal cut with the column wads. I use five 20 gauge Nitro Cards compressed into the cup with a finger against them. With the 7/8 ounce slug, I would use four cards. It is very quick, marking the petals with a fine Sharpie as I spin the cup on my finger. I use surgical scissors to cut the petals.

Michael