MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingPBcastcoRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite 10 mm target loads and also your hunting loads?

What are your favorite 10 mm target loads and also your hunting loads?

I'm just getting started into reloading the 10mm and looking for some suggestions for target loads and also some hunting loads for deer and hogs.

Thank you very much in advance!

What bullet weight are you looking at? For practice and plinking loads unique and universal or power pistol are good choices. For your hotter loads look for bluedot, Longshot, 800x, AA7, and AA9 and even hs-6. My most accurate 180grain cast bullet 10mm load was with blue Dot. Some guys like to load near nuclear loads in the 10mm so I don't like to give my info out. There is a 10mm forum over at Glock talk called the ten ring that has tons of info just be sure to work your loads up for your gun carefully. Good luck

Boolit Master
    What boolit(s) are you using?
    What weapon are you using?
    What powder(s) do you have?

I load for my Blackhawk 10mm/40sw and my brother's Delta Elite. I use Lyman's 401043 (175 gr.) and 401654 (150 gr.) mainly because I already had the molds for 40SW but also because they work perfectly in the Blackhawk's cylinders. I use data from the Lyman 4th Ed. Handbook. I've loaded 10MM with 800X, Blue Dot, Unique, WSF and Red Dot/Promo and get what I consider fantastic accuracy with all of them. I have been using 800X for top-end loads.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the NOE 403-200-WFN and MP 402-220 pushed by healthy doses of 800-X. It’s a 10mm and I load to that level. Otherwise what’s the point?

Boolit Grand Master

I know that a max book load of longshot and a 200gr XTP gives me 1100-1150 FPS out of my G20 and 10gr of Blue Dot gives me good accuracy and 1200 FPS using a coated 180gr truncated cone boolit.

Theres a really good 10mm forum 10mm-firearms. Many have testified that there seems to be a sweet spot using 10.4gr Blue Dot over 180gr jacketed bullets at 1.250 OAL. Blue Dot is my favorite for all my 10mm loads.

You might try 11.0gr (or a little more, perhaps) Blue Dot with 180gr XTPs or 10.4gr BD over 200gr WFN Hardcast for deer.

Boolit Master

Well, I've loaded a fair amount of 10mm ammo from mild to wild. 135 gr to 208 gr. Here are a few of my favorites:

Light recoil loads for gamer loads (this is my favorite 10mm IDPA, Steel Challenge, man-on-man, etc. load):

175 gr cast TC PC over 5.2 gr 452AA. 850 fps. That's 850 fps. I'm about out of 452AA (sniff), so I'm moving to WST. Charge weights should be similar.

"10mm Light" or "FBI Load"

180 gr jacketed or plated over 6.2 gr WSF. for 930 fps.

A little hotter:

175-180 gr cast PC bullet over 10.0 gr Blue Dot for 1100 fps.

A hard hitting load:

LBT 402-200-WFN PC and heat treated. 13.3 gr Accurate No. 9, mag primer. Those run 1240 fps.

All of the above are with an early gen 3 Glock 20. Stock barrel.

Some of these loads do not have any book data to reference. Please do you your own careful load workups, but you already know that!

Overall, Accurate no. 9 and Blue Dot are good performers, with No. 9 being my absolute favorite for max effort 10mm ammo. Accurate No. 7 and Long Shot are worth considering too for good all around powders.

Boolit Master

My favorite 10mm load was the old original Norma 200gr FMJ. Accurate as you could want.
    Of course 300rds battered my COLT Delta Elite to pieces. But that was the only way to get brass in the beginning. Sold it off before it got too bad. Wish there had been some worth while reloading data, that wouldn't beat a pistol to death. Of course the buyer liked getting 300 once fired cases and 3 extra mags as part of the deal .
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Mold
    I've been using 9.0 grains Blue Dot with xtreme 165 gr. plated for about 1000 fps in my S&W model 1076. Very pleasant load to shoot. If I go with heavier bullets and hotter I go with AA-9. It is a very fun cartridge to shoot!

Boolit Buddy
    I dont see any reason to load 10mm brass with 40S&W loads thats what 40S&W brass is for and yes I do shoot those in my RIA Tac Ultra 10mm 1911 with no issues. 6g of WSF is now my go to 40 load. Started messing with Vectan A0 for mid loads but any of the mid handgun burning powders should work. HS6, Unique etc but for full house loads I use 12gr of #9 under cast 180gr TC bullet. I picked up longshot but i havent tried it yet.

For me the 10mm is at its best pushing 200gr bullets hard. Otherwise buy a 40. So my hunting load is 13.4gr of AA#9 under a 200gr coated WNFP, runs a bit over 1200fps. Same bullet for target but will shoot several diff midrange powders like Unique or PP or even AA#7, run it about 1100fps. Stock Gen3 G20.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    For me the 10mm is at its best pushing 200gr bullets hard. Otherwise buy a 40.
    My first 10mm was a Glock 29. I bought it for woods carry. Then I discovered GSSF matches locally. The only Glock I owned was the 10mm, so I started looking for loads that were accurate and soft-shooting for matches.

I used 5.7gr of Unique behind a 180gr Hornady XTP to win my division.

Just because someone might have a real need for a softer shooting 10mm doesn't mean you have to jump down their throat. Geez...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

"Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    6.2 grains Unique pushing a 180 grain lead bullet worked great as a target load for me. Yeah it's a starting load and you could probably get the same results with a 40 S&W, but I don't own a Colt Delta Elite or any Glocks in 40 S&W, so I'm fine using 10MM for that role...

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My first 10mm was a Glock 29. I bought it for woods carry. Then I discovered GSSF matches locally. The only Glock I owned was the 10mm, so I started looking for loads that were accurate and soft-shooting for matches.

I used 5.7gr of Unique behind a 180gr Hornady XTP to win my division.

Just because someone might have a real need for a softer shooting 10mm doesn't mean you have to jump down their throat. Geez...
    Uh, not jumping down anyones throat. Pull your panties out of your butt & just take the info for what it is worth. JMO, running the larger 10mm with 40 loads in expensive 10mm brass seems pointless to me. I would maybe go after market 40 bbl & shoot up cheap 40 brass, but that is just a suggestion, not jumping down your throat, well maybe now I am.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Uh, not jumping down anyones throat. Pull your panties out of your butt & just take the info for what it is worth. JMO, running the larger 10mm with 40 loads in expensive 10mm brass seems pointless to me. I would maybe go after market 40 bbl & shoot up cheap 40 brass, but that is just a suggestion, not jumping down your throat, well maybe now I am.
    That would be against the GSSF stock division rules.

Like I said, some people have very good reasons for shooting light 10mm loads despite what you think.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Is there anybody else, but me, who shoots 10mm in a REVOLVER?

If you are not limited by magazine length, but want a heavier, long-nosed bullet which exploits the Ruger cylinder length and does not limit powder capacity, Tom Ellis at Accurate Molds has your number!

Attachment 232833Attachment 232834Attachment 232835Attachment 232836
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Designed a WFN over at accurate molds that is running at 192 grains or so with WW alloy. I push with max charge of LongShot or have even pushed to 1200 fps with 2400 powder before. Run pretty much the top side although the Lee 175 grain TC bullet is an easier shooting load (recoiling) with near max load of LongShot.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    That would be against the GSSF stock division rules.

Like I said, some people have very good reasons for shooting light 10mm loads despite what you think.
    Well reading thru a couple of other responses, I am not the only one that thinks the 10mm is just that. Knock yourself out shooting powder puff at gssf with a g20. A 40 & a g35 would be cheaper.

I bought a 10mm cause of it's versatility it can go from mild to wild. Kind like the 45 colt of the semi world. Just like the I used to shoot 340gr 45 colts all the time it does get old and seems to hurt worse in the cold. Now I like medium loads in both and don't feel like a girl shooting them

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast