Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shockwave

Boolit Master

Shockwave

A nice video showing the shockwave produced by rifle rounds in super and sub sonic. And a good demonstration of the pistol blast just in front of the cylinder.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

That was pretty
    Awesome. It reminds me of the cover on the speer (?) loading manuals from years back.

Boolit Buddy
    Cool, thanks for sharing! The revolver vid should reinforce why you should always wear eye protection when firing a high pressure revolver cartridge. Interesting to see the muzzle blast come back and overtake the cylinder gap blast and keep coming rearward towards the shooter. Be interesting to see the difference between spitzer bullets and a flat nose cast boolit going 1300 fps to 2000 fps like we shoot. The trail behind the bullets in vid looked pretty uniform and consistent with spitzers. Don't know what you call the trail behind the bullet in the vids, cavitation is in a liquid so maybe vapor trail? Enlighten me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oily View Post
    Cool, thanks for sharing! The revolver vid should reinforce why you should always wear eye protection when firing a high pressure revolver cartridge. Interesting to see the muzzle blast come back and overtake the cylinder gap blast and keep coming rearward towards the shooter. Be interesting to see the difference between spitzer bullets and a flat nose cast boolit going 1300 fps to 2000 fps like we shoot. The trail behind the bullets in vid looked pretty uniform and consistent with spitzers. Don't know what you call the trail behind the bullet in the vids, cavitation is in a liquid so maybe vapor trail? Enlighten me.
    I've heard it called bullet trace, sort of looks like jet contrails but with air not vapor.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Was interesting how unstable that 300 BO sub bullet looked
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    That was really neat to watch, that photography was exceptional. I remember watching things with a strobe light flashing at different speeds back in the day. Really cool when you can slow down objects and can do evaluations like that, thanks for that video.

Boolit Master

Wow. Dang good - thanks for sharing.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)