Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: When the sizer die is out of tollerance.

Boolit Master

When the sizer die is out of tollerance.

Been having a lot of problems with the Grendel with the new barrel. One of the problems is chambering. Yes i use converted brass. I made sure i have the correct bolt.

I have tinkered with lots if things. Even shiming the shell hold with tape. Making tge die was making contact with the shell holder. Playing with seating depth ext. My calipers show the brass only .001 too large in the case web area. In my mind, hmm... so i finnaly smoked the brass to see whats up.

Well i think i need a new sizer die. There is clear ring on the shoulder and web. Ring around shoulder is more clear. So either the die is pushing the shoulder back far enough. I wonder if annealing would help. Is there enough spring back bras spring back to cause that?

As of now i am using my barrel as case checker. I have lost 1 in 3 peices that still wont chamber.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Thats a pick of the bolt not locking up. But the bolt will lock up on some pieces.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Actually Grendel brass has the same problem. But not as severe.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Off the first 30 peices of brass, i lost half. Took 20 peices and annealed them with a candle and wet rag. I didnt loose any. All 20 chambered. Could the chamber be tight tollerance and the sizing die be just loose enough than any spring back in the shoulder area is enough to prevent chambering.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Measure the case with Hornady headspace comparator gauge, see if you are pushing the neck far down enough. On a set of Lee 300Blk dies I took about .002 off the top of the shell case holder (cheaper to replace). And/or get a Sheridan slotted guage, it will measure the critical points for you so you can visually see where you need to adjust.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5523headspace_gauge.e1945272.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	229763

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Made a head space comparator out of 9mm case. The ones that wouldnt chamber were about .0015 out from the ones that cambered just fine. So i shaved .002 off the shell holder. Now all the brass that had to be discarded now chambers. Annealing helped a little bit. But polishing the top face of the shell holder helped. Thanks Omega.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I had the same problem with my Mauser in 7.65-- the full length sized cases chambered really stiffly-- some I had to really lean on the bolt. I shaved the bottom of the die using normal sandpaper. It took me three tries with sanding, and probably only took off 0.001-2, but after the third application of sandpaper the sized cases started chambering very nicely The die was just a very tiny bit too long. That might be your problem.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

I am noticing it is taking some levarage on the press handle to get the die to contact the shell holder. Abnormal amount of leverage. why I thought of annealing.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

The die may not be out of tolerance. It may be a stack up of tolerences between chamber, shell holder, and die. I have rifles with min chambers in them and have had to shave dies down a few thousandths for them. I prefer to cut the die down so Im not locked into a certain shell holder with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Make a shim out of a pop can shaped like your thumb nail. Slip it between the cartridge base and the shell holder. there is generally enough tolerance for this and it will shove the case a couple of thousands deeper in the die.

Boolit Master
    This can be caused by a wimpy press or an inferior sizing lube.
    If you size a case rotate it and size 2 more times slowly. This will eventually force the brass to conform to your die.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I am noticing it is taking some levarage on the press handle to get the die to contact the shell holder. Abnormal amount of leverage. why I thought of annealing.

EDG

I would suggest buying an annealer. Money well spent.

Boolit Master
    I have had to slip a feeler gage under the brass in a shell holder in the past resizing some once fired to get it to chamber smoothly , but after firing resizing worked fine.

I just remove metal from the bottom of the die. Then set the die properly in the press. I don't depend on shell holder camming to set the amount of sizing. Annealing helps with the shoulder part, not the base.
    Whatever!