RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New mould from NOE!!!

New mould from NOE!!!

I managed to talk Al Nelson at NOE into making some Lyman Slug Moulds . They are on the website and I would urge anyone who is interested in getting either a 2 or 4 cavity mould to act fast as there is a limited number of each one.

here's a link directly to the burb on the mould.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...juuk3j3e7jf6h4

These have a hollow base even though the pic on the site doesn't show it and should drop at 525 gr with pure lead. or around 500 with WW material. Moulds are aluminum and absolutely beautiful.

$109 for 2 cav and $139 for 4 cav.

Great deal.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-02-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

he needs to do those in 20 gauge and 410 gauge as well.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

^ exactly !
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Buddy
    In for 20 gauge

Boolit Master
    I’d say I’d rather see them in 10 and 16 gauge versions , but I’ve already got Rooskie knockoffs for them both and amazingly they cast very well .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

See now this is a problem,,, because it doesn't matter what you make everybody always wants something different.

He's got the numbers for everything from 10 to 28 ga. This slug design doesn't work for .410's.

So maybe if you called him up you could talk him into making other sizes.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master

643 grains! OUCH! Still, a double cav. mould for $109, I'll have to seriously consider that.........
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

its just that 12 gauge is available all over the place, but very little in other gauges.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    its just that 12 gauge is available all over the place, but very little in other gauges.
    Good point!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    643 grains! OUCH! Still, a double cav. mould for $109, I'll have to seriously consider that.........
    OK that is a problem with the drawing software Al told me about. The drawing doesn't have the rear cavity drawn in, so it calculated the weight based on a solid slug.

In reality the slug has a hollow base and will drop at 500-525 gr just like the Lyman mould does.

Hope this clears this up.

As far as a 20 ga version why don't you call him up and ask him to make some? That's what I did to get the 12 ga made.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-03-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Boolit Master

Lyman (single cavity) and mp-molds (double cavity in both full bore and wad cup) makes these in 12 guage, I agree with others, another guage would be more useful but I'm sure the NOE ones are every bit as good as the mp-molds one.

Boolit Master

I've got one coming!

Randy, that's for talking to Al about it. Sure enough, if it is successful, I'm willing to bet that he will do the others. 10 Gauge might not be possible, given the limits of his mould blocks.

We talk a couple of times a week, I will get him to send me a screenshot of his Cast Bullet Design screen and I will see if I can draw the hollow base with the software.
    Last edited by Ranch Dog; 11-03-2018 at 05:40 PM.
    Michael

All these sales going on this week. Gonna put me in the pore house.

Boolit Master

Al send me some info, so here is the drawing correcting for the hollow base.

Michael

Boolit Mold
    Does anybody have any 10 gauge slug load data?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckwhistler View Post
    Does anybody have any 10 gauge slug load data?
    I think there might be some in the BPI Slug Manual. I will check in a bit.
    Michael

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by longbow; 11-04-2018 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added second url

Mine should be here today,,, Hopefully. I'll take pics and show everyone what the mould looks like.

Trying to understand why the CG on that slug isn't closer to the nose end. GC at 54% from the skirt doesn't seem right.

You guys wanting 20 ga versions should call Al Nelson at NOE and see if he'll make the moulds. It takes verbal interest to get people to do stuff. They aren't going to do it just for the hell of it, he's in business to make money and if there are sales there, then the product will follow. This shouldn't be a foreign concept to most people.

On another note: If any of you watch the Outdoor Channel on TV there was a series a few months ago called
    "Wild Boar Fever" it was sponsored by Aimpoint and Sauer Rifles, and was all about shooting Driven Wild Boars in Europe.

This looked like a fun trip.

My recent fantasies have revolved around shooting said "Wild Boars" with either My M500 or my soon to be modified Vintage Browning A5 both with Red Dot sights on them. Since most of you know my position on $600 Aimpoints you would understand the Bushnell TRS 25's on the guns instead.

Obviously this is a job for the Lyman Slugs and I don't see any problem hitting a 300 lb Hog at 50 yards on the run after some practice. I shoot Skeet and this kind of comes under the heading of "Low Altitude Skeet" with much bigger targets. I guess Sporting Clays has targets like this.

My point being, you don't need a $2000 Sauer & Sons Rifle with a $600 optic on it to shoot Pigs. Your smooth bore Pump Action, Semi Auto or even Double Barrel gun would probably be more suitable anyway, and lets face it guys, NOTHING is going to live thru a Slug.

This is the type of thing that happens in my mind when I don't have anything else to think about. It also comes under the heading of 'Justification for another gun!"

YMMV

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-05-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Trying to understand why the CG on that slug isn't closer to the nose end. GC at 54% from the skirt doesn't seem right.
    I think it is just the cost of a hollow base shuttlecock/pellet design. Of course, this having a lot of lead up front.

It also might be the calculation, the limit of the TMT design software to work with a tapered skirt and a hollow base. The product page now shows the original drawing with the bevel base and the updated drawing with the hollow base.

When comparing the two drawings the Center of Pressure is almost a constant, averaging 49.41, but the CG does shift appropriately with the hollow base. It might not be the full 3.6% difference as the software cannot draw the .680 to .660 reduction of the skirt with the hollow base. I doub't that slight reduction makes much of a shift.

I'll pass judgement after I shoot it.
    Last edited by Ranch Dog; 11-05-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    Michael

Boolit Master

I checked all the pellet designs he offers and the CGs look similar. The average spread between CG (53.4) & CP (49.8) is identical at 3.6%.

I have good drawings for the Lee molds. CG/CP is 50.54/46.93 (3.6 difference) with the one ounce and 48.87/46.63 (3.4 difference) with the 7/8 ounce. No doubt the 7/8 oz slug shoots better than the 1 ounce.
    Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast