Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Rossi 92 in 44-40 - Tips, Tricks & Pet Loads?

Boolit Buddy

Rossi 92 in 44-40 - Tips, Tricks & Pet Loads?

Hi guys and gals.

I just traded into a Lnib Rossi 92 in 44/40, and it’s Stainless Steel. I’m pretty excited to start developing loads for it. I’ve only shot five cowboy loads, and five of my light reloads through it so far.

I’m curious about everyone’s experience with the Rossi 44/40? Anything I need to watch out for? Any tips or tricks to make it shoot well. Also if you don’t mind sharing your pet loads and your favorite boolits?

Also with it being stainless I’m thinking of feeding it black power as well as smokeless. I’ll start developing loads as soon as I empty the few hundred rounds (6.5gr Bullseye and Hornady 180gr lead cowboy bullet) I have loaded for my Uberti 1873.

I’m using W-W, R-P, Starline, and CBC brass. Only bullets are some Lee 200gr, Saeco #420 200gr I got from members here & Hornady 180gr lead.

Thanks in advance!

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56944882-75E7-4D68-AB37-370F7818BFF2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	229754

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Here are some loads I use in mine:

Velocity of .44-40 Winchester loads fired in Rossi Puma with 20” barrel:

Ammunition___________________Vel@15ft, Sd, ES

Winchester 200 JSP factory load____1158 fps, 18 Sd, 51 ES

Handloads in Starline cases, with Remington 2-1/2 primers

Remington 200 JSP, 24.5 RL7_______1355 fps, 22 Sd, 74 ES
    Hornady 200 XTP, 28 IMR4198______1642 fps, 20 Sd, 63 ES
    Matts Bullets 215 LFN 28 IMR4198___1701 fps, 12 Sd, 41 ES
    Matt’s Bullets 215 LFN 7.8 Red Dot___1273 fps, 15 Sd, 57 ES
    Matts Bullets 215 LFN 35 Goex 3Fg___1172 fps, 28 Sd, 98 ES
    Accurate 43-230G 7.2 Bullseye______1167 fps, 8 Sd, 25 ES
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks very much.
    I’ve been reading everything I can find on the 44wcf. I’ve been fallowing the “44/40 +p” thread.

I’ve also been reading about and wanting to try the RL-7 load. Do recommend staying with a jacketed bullet or a GC cast? Or would a well fitting PB cast be ok with the RL-7?

Honestly everything I’ve shot through mine shoots well. But everything has been a factory load, I’ve had 0 luck making a bullet seat without crushing the case neck. But if it’s anything like mine should feed it whatever and it’ll like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Outpost75- With the Accurate 43-230G, do you crimp in top or bottom crimp groove?

Boolit Buddy
    I had problems crushing cases when I first started loading for my ‘73s. I found the NOE expander plugs work amazing. After I started using them I haven’t crushed a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelgun View Post
    Outpost75- With the Accurate 43-230G, do you crimp in top or bottom crimp groove?
    In .44-40 to feed through the leverguns crimp in the top groove. I use the rear groove in .44 Magnum to exploit the cylinder length of my Ruger .44 Magnum to increase powder capacity, and for use in my H&R Handi Rifle.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelgun View Post
    Thanks very much.
    I’ve been reading everything I can find on the 44wcf. I’ve been fallowing the “44/40 +p” thread.

I’ve also been reading about and wanting to try the RL-7 load. Do recommend staying with a jacketed bullet or a GC cast? Or would a well fitting PB cast be ok with the RL-7?
    RL7 will work with either lead or jacketed. For a hunting load I use 1:30 tin-lead from Roto Metals. If you don't cast the Hornady 200 XTP performs well at .44-40 velocity.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I have a ROSSI 92 - 24" Rifle in .44-40, had it 25+yrs.
    Never had a problem with crushing case necks.
    I use a 50+yrs old set of LYMAN dies.

The LYMAN M-die is specifically designed for Lead bullet's. Best expander die I've ever used.
    With the old #42798 bullet I'm able to seat & crimp at the same time, using those old dies. In my opinion modern made dies for .44WCF & .38WCF are incorrectly made. I have 3 other High Quality sets of .44WCF dies. None work worth a darn compared to the old LYMAN.

Case length is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT in getting a proper crimp. I trim my WIN & REM brass to exact minimum. Don't use any other. Starline in just too blasted hard.

I crimp on the Ogive of the old #42798. I've never had a bullet set back into the case yet. Even if I bounce the rifle on it's buttstock with a fully loaded magazine. This combination works in all my Rifles/Carbines & Revolvers.

It's all in technique & the right dies.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah I have a Rcbs set and a Lee set. They are both the same as far as I’m concerned. Neither opened the case enough for lead boolits. I used the NOE expander plugs in the Lee universal expanding die, it works amazingly. It works like an M-die. I have plugs in lots of different sizes.

When I had a Rossi 44-40, the only mould I had was the Lee 430TL240swc. It fed like slopping the pigs and was quite accurate. Lumbering along over 6grs of Unique it was fun and was the buisness on called in Toms. In my Topper conversion I'm using .430" 215gr rnfp that a member here provided over more Unique. I'm hunting with it right now And no problems with my Lee dies in the round green box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I had a Rossi 92 in 44-40 many years ago. From memory, the barrel was on the large size even for a .44 Magnum barrel (0.431" to 0.432"). Fortunately, the chamber was large enough to take a 0.432" bullet. With the large bullet, it was accurate enough. Unfortunately, the large chamber and standard loading dies make for a LOT of brass working. The case will not last very long. My experience was before Starline started making brass (Remington and Winchester only), so things may be better now.

Boolit Master
    use any load listed in a loading manual. don't have one buy one. for cast bullets I use lyman.

the way I beat the case crushing was to seat the bullets the back off the bullet aeater and crimp the cases in a separate op.

Boolit Buddy
    So far it’s shot fairly well with light loads I had loaded for my Uberti 1873. I haven’t shot for groups yet, just some cans and milk jugs behind the house. I can hit the cans at about 35 & 50yrds and milk jugs at 50 & 70 regularly if I do my part.

I’ve got reloading manuals, 5 or 6 I believe, I was just curious about people’s pet/favorite loads for these rifles. Right now I’m shooting 180gr Hornady lead with 6.5grs of Bullseye in mixed brass. This combination was superbly accurate in my Uberti, and seems to be doing well in this Rossi so far, at close ranges. This weekend I’m going to try some Unique and some 2400. Maybe the RL-7 also if I have time.

Thanks for all the tips and comments guys