Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plugged barrel

Boolit Buddy

Plugged barrel

I have a Traditions sidelock percussion ML that I have a patched jag stuck in it. My original ramrod made of wood/composite broke, so I got an aluminum universal replacement that doesn’t have the trumpet like feature of the original so it won’t screw back onto the jag! Grrr. Trying to get it operable for deer season(now). Can’t find a CO2 discharge kit locally. Any suggestions?
    Luvtn

Boolit Man
    Maybe solder a brass nut with proper threads onto a brass rod?

Boolit Master

A long connecting nut and a piece of all thread ahould do it. Available at most hardware and farm stores here abouts.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master

If you have an air compressor a rubber tipped blow gun it may push it out, Keep it pointed in a safe direction since it may have some force to it. a grease zerk and grease gun remove hammer and nipple fond a zerk that fits and pump out with grease pressure. This works but is a real mess to glean up when done since the barrel is full of grease. Last and while this works be very careful in doing it. remove nipple and slowly work 5-6 grains of BP into barrel. install nipple and take outside cap and fire in a safe direction.
    Last is to make a rod from brass tubing with a end that's close to bore and the threads for the jag with a T handle and try and thread onto the jag if threads are clear if there is an insert from the old rod or end on it threads wont be able to be used.

Boolit Master

Don 't you have another ramrod with the correct threads?

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! Quick and good responses! Thanks a bunch. Already tried the BP and cap trick-no go. Now the grease gun sounds promising, cause I have one . I have to go to town to take off the trash. I will stop by the CO-OP and explore the other suggestions! WooHoo!
    luvtn

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Don 't you have another ramrod with the correct threads?
    Sure do, but the rod is smaller with no “bell” to guide the threading, and it won’t reattach! The all thread is a bust for now since none correct size, nor any nuts correct size either. Next will try my dinky air compressor, then the grease gun.
    Luvtn

If there was some way to burn up the patch, the jag should come loose.

Why not keep trying to load and shoot some powder out of it until the patch burns up some?

Or drop in some lighter fluid along with a match, or a torch?

I once got a jag wedged into my barrel.
    I bought some Slick50 lube or silicone spray to soak and lubricate the thick cleaning patch with, then wedged the rod handle into a crevice and
    it finally pulled out using a lot of leverage.

There's also a special brass rod puller that looks like a cork remover but works like vise grips, made to pull out ramrods.
    I have one but didn't bring it along at the time.
    It's got padded leather jaws shaped to fit a round ramrod.

Dixie Gun Works sells a ramrod puller:--->>> https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...+RAMROD+PULLER
    Last edited by arcticap; 11-02-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have a threaded ram rod that just won't center just wrap a little tape around it!

Boolit Master

If you can drive the plug down the bore to the bottom and seat it, take out the nipple, put a few grains of black powder in through the hole and replace the nipple, cap and fire in a safe direction. It has worked for me but it might not work for you. If I were desperate I would try it.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

watching
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Last ditch but for sure is to disassemble the rifle remove the breech plug and push thru. this requires a solid vise and wrench. Breech plugs can be very tight and then add in any corrosion over time in the threads and it can be a major undertaking. Several things that can help. plug nipple hole and soak with kroil for a few days heating with a hot air gun several times a day. the heat hilps pull the oil into the threads and break the time bond there. A heavy wrench padded and force. Pad the vise jaws also.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    If you have a threaded ram rod that just won't center just wrap a little tape around it!
    This I will try!
    luvtn

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    If you can drive the plug down the bore to the bottom and seat it, take out the nipple, put a few grains of black powder in through the hole and replace the nipple, cap and fire in a safe direction. It has worked for me but it might not work for you. If I were desperate I would try it.
    Tried with nothing positive happening. Maybe more than one issue? I also tried putting lye into the barrel then hot water, and soaking for several hours. Just got a new ramrod in the mail.
    luvtn

Boolit Master

Shop vac with small funnel duct taped to hose ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    The new ramrod has two threaded ends(brass). One too small with a bell, the other just right without the bell. Grrr! The area where the nipple screws in is wet. So all that is now open to dry. My main problem is lack of tools, and a place to use them. In other words- no vice, very few wrenches beyond basic hammer, ratchet sets etc.(divorce). My accessory pack with the air compressor doesn’t have a trigger group. And it goes on and on. By the way, lye and aluminum don’t mix. I trashed the aluminum universal ramrod!
    Luvtn

Boolit Master

Drive it as far into the barrel as possible with a rod that won't shatter or break.
    Take out the nipple and trickle about 10-15 gr. of powder into the breech replace the nipple and shoot it out.
    Worked for me when I got a cleaning jag stuck in my gun.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Bicycle shops sell CO2 inflators used for off road cyclists and the better ones come with a fixture for both Presta valve stems (skinny) and American valve stems (larger) so try to get one with either both or Presta adapter. I'd suggest buying half a dozen extra CO2 cartridges just in case. You can also pull the nipple, pack powder in the drum or snail depending on what you have and then literally blow the stuff out. Might have to load several times but that works well too.
    John

Boolit Master
    I had a friend who had that problem. He was part owner of a family garage, so he took the nipple out and stuck a blow gun in the hole. It blew the jag right out with considerable velocity.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Kind of messy but if you can find a grease zert(sp) that fits your threads, pump it out with grease.
    Aim small, miss small!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast