Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plugged barrel

percussion nipple threads on rifles are S.A.E. 1/4-28, or metric 6mm-.75 and 6mm-1.0. These are standard grease fitting sizes. Most auto parts stores will have them. A good lever action grease gun will put out 10,000 psi which is more than some black powder loads. I've used them to push stuck rams out of 3" hydraulic cylinders.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

When I was in business the little rural town I live in was ground zero for miles in deer hunting area.
    It never failed to have guys with stuck bullets, brushes, jags and ram rods everyday. The problem
    with brushes and jags was that they usually tried everything they could before bringing it in. The end
    of the threads would be deformed and would be a PIA to connect to correct rod. A lot of time the tip
    of ram rod would pull off with jag too. These are easy to shoot out by trickling powder into nipple
    method. I have had a few that were oil soaked and used a 209 shotgun primer attachment instead
    of cap. Firing 3 or 4 first will dry it out enough that powder will ignite. Sometimes it takes a few times to get it moving but have never failed to shoot out a jag. I made up a special set of tools for
    Muzzel loader problems. Stainless 3/8" rod with 3 different popular threads for extracting jags & brushes. A brass 3/8" rod bored to hold a 1/8" drill bit as extension bit. A assortment of tips made
    from stainless wood and self tapping screws. Also had end of stainless rod set up for T handle or
    a sliding weight to use in slap hammer mode. My advice, if you don't have the correct means to
    remove such problems, leave it alone till you do.

Boolit Master

Grease zerk, once item is remove, point barrel in trash can, use compressed air to blow out grease. A few patches later, it will be clean! This is what WORKED for me.

Boolit Master
    Guess might depend on how long a jag has been jammed down in a barrel, most get em out pretty quick. One I ended up w, it had been in there for years. One of those elderly father died and family started getting rid of his guns. Its no lack of tools, compressed air did nothing. It did not seem like it was going to move with the grease gun, grease squeezing out around the nipple threads. But then it finally budged and came out real easy. TC just happens to be a commonly used size.

Then when I thought I would never get rid of it, lots of insulting offers, somebody offered a decent amount no arguing. Cant complain, paid $75, put the scope on another rifle and sold the ML for $200. One of those thought I wanted it things, but have other similar rifles that do not get shot, so why did I need another one.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the info. I will try the powder and caps again, then on to grease. My lesson learned-no jags! So slow due to working extra, sleeping more!
    gramps

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, the barrel still damp. Put a zerk on(6 mm-1), and my grease gun had solidified grease in it! Took it to town to a mechanic I know, who got it out in 30 minutes of using grease, and unsavory words! Thanks to you all for all the good info and suggestions! I have been cleaning for close to an hour with probably another hour to go. Yep, this gun has never been cleaner
    luvtn

Boolit Man
    YAY! I'm glad you got this resolved. What will you do differently (if anything) going forward?
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Boolit Buddy
    'What will you do differently (if anything) going forward? '

buy a breechloader? not that I'd recommend such an immoral act.

Boolit Grand Master

A blow drier played on the bare barrel will warm it enough to melt a lot of the grease out. Hold it over a trash can with a bag in it.

Boolit Buddy
    Going forward-no jags! Be careful when loading “blanks” that the paper goes in last? ML season over today. Oh well! Next year?
    luvtn

Boolit Master

Jags are all I have ever used in my over 50 years of muzzleloading. What are you going to use now?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Jags are all I have ever used in my over 50 years of muzzleloading. What are you going to use now?
    My thoughts too - been cleaning with patched jags for my 30 years - never had one stuck - proly wouldnt trust a wooden rod with a tight patch.

Cleaning blackpowder guns is so easy I am continually mystified what all the fuss is about

- use plenty water - if the patch is too tight use a thinner one

- I tear up old flannelette bedsheets for cleaning patches, gets me enough variation of thickness from the wear that can fit anything.

OP needs to learn the lesson here NOT blame patched jags

Boolit Grand Master

Jags don't always fit right. They should not be a tight fir with a patch. Either go with a thinner patch or take your jag down some on a drill with emery cloth. It actually should go in some what loose. If the fit is too tight you are pushing all the crud you want to remove down to the breech. When slightly loos it will go over the fouling and when pulled back out, the cleaning patch will bunch up and pull the fouling out. Your rod tip should also be pinned to give it strength so it won't come off.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I am using my shotgun cleaning rods and mops to clean now. I have an wooden replacement rod for looks. Ha, ha, ha!
    luvtn

Boolit Mold
    I have a 32 Cal. Cva that got a barrel replaced for free when the gunsmith I took it to tried to remove the breach plug to get a jag out.

Boolit Master
    Country Gent is right. New air guns are regulated to low pressure. You need a direct air line from the compressor with full pressure. Maybe a tire valve with the core removed. Glad you got the barrel cleaned out!
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtn View Post
    I have a Traditions sidelock percussion ML that I have a patched jag stuck in it. My original ramrod made of wood/composite broke, so I got an aluminum universal replacement that doesn’t have the trumpet like feature of the original so it won’t screw back onto the jag! Grrr. Trying to get it operable for deer season(now). Can’t find a CO2 discharge kit locally. Any suggestions?
    Luvtn
    Got a bicycle shop near by? They sell the CO2 dischargers, cheaper than a sporting goods shop. Get a couple ball inflator needles, cut them off past the vent holes in the tip.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123