Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Looking at a WIN M-69

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Looking at a WIN M-69

This is a 69, not a 69a. It is in VG to EXC condition but has no sights so obviously has been D&Ted for scope base. If I understand correctly, the 69 was neither grooved not D&Ted from the factory. Would this affect the $190 asking price? Is this a decent price for this particular rifle? I see both the 69 and 69A are for sale on various gun auction sites at somewhat higher prices but no bids so that doesn't really tell me much about real world value.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

My Bluebook is pretty old, but with a model that was made for so many years (1935-1963) and in such large numbers (355,000), condition means a lot.

Apparently there were scope options with integral scope bases on some barrels.--->>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_69

You're saying that both sights are missing.

My 2003 BB puts a $190 value on a M-69 in 85% condition 15 years ago.
    While anything that's not original or was original and is missing would affect the value, (such as the sights), guns are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them.
    $190 doesn't seem to be asking very much in the current market, even if the gun were D&T'd and missing the sights.
    Do you think that it should be worth less than a 15 year old Blue Book indicates when you say that it's otherwise in very good to excellent condition?

I don't know much about the current value of Winchester rimfires, but it sounds like you would be getting your money's worth for a good shooter's grade gun.

The only things that are unknown is how old is it and how does it shoot? Does it need any parts?
    If the bore is not pitted then it should be worth $190 unless you're a collector only interested in a gun that's in original factory condition.

Boolit Master
    A M69 not 69A, would be from mid30s, Was changed to 69A with the cock on opening in 37. Mine (both)have dovetailed rear peep on the rear of the action,some had a normal barrel dovetail. If that gun has no dovetail cuts it is possible a M697, factory scoped, would have no front site prep either and a 25 inch(from memory)barrel. Very unusual, but they exist, would be drilled and tapped.They did not use the grooves like we are used to untill about 55 on the M69A, I have a 57 grooved. If you decide to pass ,I'll take it!
    Opp, also in that period with Winchester, there are no absolutes. They would do almost anything the customer wanted. Sweet lite guns, much more trim and elegant than the 69A..
    Last edited by rking22; 11-03-2018 at 07:55 AM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I bought a 69 a that was 95% about 5 years ago. I gave $250 for it. Pre 1968 anybody could order anything from the factory, so there are no absolute rules. I did not know that scopes commonly existed in the 1930's. The side mounted 1/2" scopes were most common up into the 1960's for rimfires.
    I don'the think you could go wrong if the bore is good.

Boolit Master
    Its about average for one in fair condition being drilled and tapped with the sights removed kills it for me but too each his own. 69's & 69a's normally bring the same money. I'm working a show this weekend and there are a bunch of 69a's with the factory peep sight on them in minty shape going from the mid 300.00's to 425.00. The 69 was a good rifle but it had a big design flaw concerning the magazine release sticking out from the side of the stock. Hit the button and you just dropped your mag in the woods someplace. Thats how the 69a came to be they made the stock thicker so the button was in a recess and protected.