RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: rethroating a Ruger #1 in 45/70

Boolit Master

rethroating a Ruger #1 in 45/70

Been thinking about getting my old Ruger #1 in 45/70 rethroated. Jacketed bullets like the 300 grain Rem corelokt cannot be seated out more than 20 thousandths due to the non existing throat on this rifle. The throat measures .459 and for me my lyman mold only gets .459. Thinking about a 1.5 degree long throat. So any pros or cons regarding getting this done.?
    Will also be getting a new bullet mold in the 459 grain weight range all gas checked, And of course someone to do the job. Frank

I did the same on my Winchester 1885 in 45-70. I couldn't chamber a round with a Hornady 350 gr. Crimped where it is suppose to be, Mine shoots all bullets just as good as before reaming.
    I would recommend it.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master
    i'd check with dave mason for advice. I did a ruger #1 .458 wm and made it into a .458 lott. I bought the reamer from him, followed his sage advice, and ended up with a real shooter. I did the job - by hand - in my shop - in a matter of minutes. very happy with the results. as a matter of fact, I ended up selling the reamer, after the one job, to one of our fellow castboolit members.

Boolit Master
    I've had Turnbull do two Pedersoli rifles and one Miroku/Winchester and they will now chamber anything and shoot as good, if not better than before. With the Miroku they lengthened the throat by about .250".....it was that short (SAAMI specs are useless and I don't know why any manufacturer uses them).

Boolit Master
    Just a FYI for you. This is an older Ruger #1 before Ruger started hammerforging their own barrels Most likely a wilson barrel or some other contractors barrel. Thanks for the tip regarding getting in touch with Dave Manson. While I'm on a roll anyone ever do a throating job on a lever action like a Marlin or a Winchester. I'd like to try and shoot some heavier bullets and have up front in the throat instead of deep seating in the case? Many thanks for your tips,comments and suggestions. Greatly appreciated. Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    same kind of work. ask mason. once the breach is exposed (disassembled action - crazy easy) a long handled tool, lots of cutting oil and bingo / you're done. cycling will be dependent on the overall length of the assembled cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. Frank