Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axis Boyds Stock

Axis Boyds Stock

Some of you individuals enabled me a bit. I just put the purchase down for a very basic Boyd's stock for my Savage Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor. Darn thing would walk vertically when it warmed up.

Don't know if I will get a chance to use it this deer season but sometimes you just don't like messing around with something that starts out inferior. Just bought the basic stock with no frills. Midway had some listed but they were about as expensive as the whole rifle. Hope it turns out like some of you have stated. Bought the Savage because I was told it was a very accurate rifle. Will give some feedback when it arrives.

DP

What style and wood? That will improve the looks 200% of the Axis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I talked a friend into putting his axis 223 cal in a Boyds laminated stock and he loves it! MOA at 300 yds. I have one on a 98 Mauser and am thinking about restocking my model 7 with one.

Boolit Master
    I put my Axis .223 HB in a Boyd's stock. It didn't improve the less than MOA accuracy but it made it easier to shoot. The Pro Varmint stock added about a pound to the weight. The brown laminated stock is much prettier than the plastic camo too.

Its a basic dark laminate in classic style. I was pretty cheap and just ordered the basic with no additions. Wanted to try it out. Darn rifle did not cost that much. I have an old 8mm Mauser that might benefit from a prettier stock also. I was thinking about selling the rifle and getting a different one but the stock is kind of like getting a new rifle. I know the darn thing should shoot as it walks up vertically as the barrel warms. You could almost put a straight edge on the vertical group. I have it sighted in cold at this time for deer hunting. Over the last few years I could have gotten by with a single shot.

DEP
    Last edited by northmn; 11-02-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Good luck this weekend. Weather forecast should have them moving.

Quote Originally Posted by ajjohns View Post
    Good luck this weekend. Weather forecast should have them moving.
    They will either be moving or huddled in cover. Good luck in Roseau. You are even a bit North of me.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Good thing i hunt from wooden blinds (getting to old to be cold) I am always warm and dry.
    Supposed to be wet one this year. Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Good thing i hunt from wooden blinds (getting to old to be cold) I am always warm and dry.
    Supposed to be wet one this year. Kevin
    You aren't the only one on both counts. Last blind I build has windows to keep out the wind. My brother in law has his enclosed with heaters. Had enough of those portable stands that gets you closer to nature. Supposed to be in the high 20's next week.

DEP

Boolit Master
    This is what mine looks like. Axis II HB in .223

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180831_070145s.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	229761

The middle and lower groups were shot at the beginning of a cold day (cold being relative, only 40F). The top group was shot at the end of 40 rounds. The barrel was too hot to touch. POA/POI was almost identical to the cold barrel. Interesting that at 100yd the heavier bullet shot to same point as the lighter one. The lower middle group I jerked a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181102_091153s.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	229762

FYI I shoot 4rd groups cause that's what the magazine holds.

Boolit Master

Thats a good looking rig you have
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I like it. One day I will put a better scope on it. Until then the cheap Bushnell that came with it will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Thanks, I like it. One day I will put a better scope on it. Until then the cheap Bushnell that came with it will have to do.
    My axis did not come with a scope. It is a 6.5 Creedmoor and they sell for the same price as the scoped ones. Doesn't bother me too much as I had a 2X7 Leopold/Redfield I put on it and bought a set of Picatinny rails and rings for it. I do like how it dressed up you r rifle however and thought I might enjoy the rifle more if I did that. I keep hoping I can get mine to group like yours. It wants to walk vertically. I was told ways of fixing that and one was the Boyd's stock. Won't get the stock until maybe next week which may mean I won't get tot try it deer hunting. Already got a permit deer with it and the plastic stock. It shoots to the same point cold, just walks up. Shoot deer with a cold barrel anyway.

I have an Axis and a Ruger American. I like the Axis better. The American was too darned light. Maybe I should have stocked it instead but I wanted to try the Creedmoor as I have seen the 6.5 Swede used a lot.

DEP

Boolit Master
    The stock did help my part of the shooting. Added a bit of weight and made it easier to use the bipod.

It looks so much better than the plastic camo. One downside is I have not got the magazine latch fitted right yet. It keeps coming out on recoil. A little file work is needed on the plastic bit Boyd's includes with the stock.

Got notified that my stock has been sent via Fed Exp. May get to use it yet. For a magazine to unlatch due to the recoil of a 223 implies it is somewhat touchy. Good luck.

DEP

Boolit Master
    Not really a big deal. Boyd's includes a piece that is held by the front action screw. It has a ledge for the magazine catch to engage. I just need to do some file work so the magazine lip is fully seated. Just lazy on my part

One of these days I will just make up a single shot insert for it since using the mag is a PITA for bench shooting.

Boolit Master
    You know when deer hunting only the first shot, maybe two count. So as long as it shoots where you want it for the first one or two shots, then having it drift after that is a moot point. So if it is shooting great, then you are in business. Hummm, maybe when pig hunting you might get to shoot several rounds right away. But when I am pig hunting, I wind up shooting one, the others scatter, and after a while they come back, I shoot another and the cycle repeats. The barrel has plenty of time to cool off between shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    You know when deer hunting only the first shot, maybe two count. So as long as it shoots where you want it for the first one or two shots, then having it drift after that is a moot point. So if it is shooting great, then you are in business. Hummm, maybe when pig hunting you might get to shoot several rounds right away. But when I am pig hunting, I wind up shooting one, the others scatter, and after a while they come back, I shoot another and the cycle repeats. The barrel has plenty of time to cool off between shots.
    Don't disagree with that one bit. Last 10 or 12 deer that I can remember have been 1 shot 1 deer. Got a permit doe with the plastic stock at 100 yards and it hit where I was aiming. Sighting in is a PITA with a rifle that does what this one does, but actually I do like to recheck the sight in with a cold barrel on a hunting rifle. One year when I was working I came home and grabbed my old 35 Remington and went out deer hunting. Shot a deer and the shell did not eject. Lost the ejector when cleaning it the year before. Made a purposeful neck shot so the one shot issue is very valid.

Got the stock now and it is almost too nice to put on a hunting rifle. May stick with the plastic and put in on so I can have a safe queen for a year. I have used a lot of inexpensive rifles over the years and it is kind of nice to have one a little more dressed up. I like the stock, just have not tried to fit it yet if it needs fitting. Wanted one may not have needed one.

DEP

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I put a Boyd's laminate on my .223 and it made all the difference in the world .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    I put a Boyd's laminate on my .223 and it made all the difference in the world .

Jack
    Took care of my problems also. Been cold out but I replaced the plastic stock with my Boyds. No more walking upwards. Never even lost the zero changing stocks. Don't know if a person should? Will take pictures but as stated its been pretty cold out. Under 20 degrees today and about 2 degrees this morning. May get another chance to try it tonight. Barrel dropped right in, no fitting.

DP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast