MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Deer hunting with a 32 cal

There's pretty good video "evidence" that a 30 hawkens won't effectively kill a deer. Quite frankly I'm shocked that this vital evidence hasn't been brought up, but none the less you should watch Jeremiah Johnson...again. His 30 hawkins couldn't kill a deer when he needed it to even though it was "all hawken". Now the 50 that he got from Hatchet Jack put the smack down hard on deer and if you look close you can even see the arm of Thor when he throws the deer onto the snow.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Rodwha,

Many of the flintlocks used in the early days of this country were larger than 50 caliber, some much larger. During the percussion era the caliber might have been reduced but a hunting rifle or smooth rifle relied on the caliber and mass of the PRB to anchor game.

Kevin
    Indeed. What I see commonly spoken of by those on the traditional forum is that prior to westward expansion larger calibers were uncommon. These are the guys who are into the reenactments and period correctness so I figure they know what they are talking about. We certainly know, as you pointed out, that large calibers were what killed, and we certainly see that in the smoothbored flintlocks.

Boolit Master
    I am not a re-enactor nor being period correct. I learned from Wes Kindig, Joe Kindig, Bivins , James Johnston and anyone else I could talk to, read from or buy collectibles. In this country, the early long guns were larger than the later ones.

In England the deer rifles started at 45 and went up.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I am not a re-enactor nor being period correct. I learned from Wes Kindig, Joe Kindig, Bivins , James Johnston and anyone else I could talk to, read from or buy collectibles. In this country, the early long guns were larger than the later ones.

In England the deer rifles started at 45 and went up.

Kevin
    I find this interesting and not something I put too much thought into. I know a lot of the guns used during the War of Independence were larger caliber, yet I’ve read time and time again how the calibers were typically under .45 prior to the westward expansion. Do you happen to know about when the downsizing became mainstream and why?

As was mentioned the cost and weight of lead can be understood. The ranges eastward were typically very short so I can see how one can get by with a much smaller ball with a much higher velocity.

I am not a reenactor or historian either, though I find it a bit fascinating.

Boolit Master
    Going through Edith Coopers book "The Kentucky Rifle and Me" the vast majority of rifles fall into the 36-50 caliber range, with some odd sizes like 38 and 48, possibly a smaller caliber "freshed out" after years of service took its toll. IIRC there was an article years ago in Muzzleoader magazine in which the author had examined a number of original rifles from the late 18th and early 19th century and wrote that the average/common caliber was about 50. Remember that a lot of the hunters moving west from the colonies were hide hunting for deer and weren't interested in practicing their tracking skill, but in harvesting hides and keeping their scalps.

I'm still amazed when I see a piece hanging in a museum with a small bore and an inch or more across the flats.
    Nowadays people put in a lot of time, effort and money to have upper body strength like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..........I suppose I should have put in there "I believe" that any state recognizes a barrel under 45 cal. Some states even stipulate ignition, as I think Pennsylvania's BP hunting regs specify flintlock only. Other have wierd little deals that you have to dig to find. A couple years ago Colorado outlawed muzzle loader bullets over 2 calibers long. That hobbled the guys shooting Whitworths and Volunteers to shorter lighter slugs then the 45 cal 520gr ones normal to them.

............Buckshot
    Flint-lock Ignition is the Requirement only for the Flintlock muzzloader season (Held January as opposed to the earlier fall season), but that also stipulates Patched Round Ball projectiles only...

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    Flint-lock Ignition is the Requirement only for the Flintlock muzzloader season (Held January as opposed to the earlier fall season), but that also stipulates Patched Round Ball projectiles only...
    I believe that PA does allow any single projectile to be used during its late flintlock season.
    The 2018 PA reg's. only specify that it must be a "single projectile".
    Even the Traditions PA Pellet flintlock rifle has a fast 1 in 28" twist for shooting sabots.
    Why would they name the gun after Pennsylvania if they can't use it during the Pennsylvania flintlock season?
    It telescopic sights that are not allowed during the PA late flintlock season.
    Has there been a regulation change or a mistake by the website?

From the PA hunting reg's summary page @ muzzle-loaders dot com:

“For the Flintlock Muzzleloader season any flintlock ignition, single-barrel long guns manufactured before 1800,
    or a similar reproduction of an original muzzleloading single-barrel long gun .44 caliber or larger, or a .50 caliber or larger handgun, using a single projectile.
    It is unlawful to use telescopic sights. Fiber optic sights are legal.”--->>> https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/artic...by-state/#penn
    Last edited by arcticap; 03-29-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234