Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Problem gaz checks with beagled bullets (oval)

Boolit Buddy

Problem gaz checks with beagled bullets (oval)

I have a problem and wonder if anybody ever saw this before. I beagled a bullet mould, a Lee .312 160gr., to .315 using aluminum tape. I find it hard to place the gaz check square with the base of the bullet because of its oval shape. Using a Lee push through bullet sizing die doesn't do the job cause the gaz check crimps cock eyed with the base.
    I will only be using 8.5-9 gr. of Unique. Wonder if I really need a gaz check at that velocity ?

Boolit Master
    You don't say what cartridge you are shooting, but if it is a 303 British you should be at a velocity where you'd expect the thing to shoot without the gas check. Give her a try, and if it shoots but not real well, reduce the load a bit more. I'm thinking you are right on the margin of need gas check/don't need gc.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry about that. It's for a Remington IZH (Spartan) break open in 7.62 x 39. I'll follow your advice earlmck and try it without a gaz check. Thanks.
    Last edited by danyboy; 11-01-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried the bullets without gaz checks, with 9 gr. of Unique ; terrible accuracy. Will probably have to ask a machinist to enlarge the mold from .312" to .315" otherwise I might as well say good bye to gaz checks.

Quote Originally Posted by earlmck View Post
    You don't say what cartridge you are shooting, but if it is a 303 British you should be at a velocity where you'd expect the thing to shoot without the gas check. Give her a try, and if it shoots but not real well, reduce the load a bit more. I'm thinking you are right on the margin of need gas check/don't need gc.

Boolit Buddy
    Just curious what kind of groups you are getting and how well the rifle shoots with other cast bullets.

Boolit Master

Remove the tape from the mould in the area of the gas check shank and try it. For some reason, the tape only seems to affect the area adjacent to the tape./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Use a gas check seater as offered by LYMAN for their Lube-Sizer or the one installed on the SAECO.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

A bullet made for gas check may lead if shot without the check. Don't know what cartridge you are working with but the propellant charge you mention suggests that a check is not needed. Your out of round bullet sounds like an exercise in frustration if seeking accuracy.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    ive used lee push through sizing dies with the pusher in and the pusher from another sizer in the shell holder to press checks on as it pushes straight.might work .