RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Lyman All American Turret Press - Any Good?

Moderator Emeritus

I have (and use) THREE of these -- all equipped with the Ohaus powder measures of same generation. I have each set up for a particular "fuddy duddy" caliber, with empty powder measure in each having a 3" x 5" card with powder used, amount set for, as well as bullet it's complementing in it. When I need/want to load some, say, .38WCF (aka 38-40) it is soooo much easier just to move the AA press to bench, dump in some powder, and after scale-measuring to ascertain all is "OK" -- load away! My 1st of the three was my 2nd ever press, following a RCBS Rock Chucker single stage. That it is still so great -- after about fifty years, is why -- through years past -- I acquired the other two -- and, as stated, still use them. The only note I add is -- should you get one -- to keep the wee screw opposite the die you're using's slot TIGHT against bottom of the turret. This little screw's contact is, imho, MOST germane to insure the settings of your dies. A great press.... good luck!
    geo

Boolit Mold
    Picked one up for a song and after some cleaning and lubricating, I had a very nice press. Using it as it was intended presents some problems. The swinging primer arm can be dangerous, since the primers are stacked in a thin brass colored tube. Don't know what is actually is...except it is not shielded. It requires the use of either the original "J" type shellholders or an adaptor from Lyman to allow the use of the more modern shellholder. The priming posts don't work smoothly with the modern shellholders. I've abandoned the idea of on press priming for that reason primarily...and rotating that stiff turret by hand can be tiring during a long session. (I'm considering drilling and tapping a short ball handle a la RCBS and Redding to solve that.)

Like others have mentioned, I leave the dies set up in the turret head and treat it like a single stage press. If you want to avoid wear and misalignment, the "jam screw" on the back of the turret needs to be tightened up against the bottom surface of the turret, especially when resizing. I added a light extension spring on mine, so that the handle doesn't drop down even if I let go of it. I am also adding a 3D printed primer catcher for obvious reasons.

I have a Dillon Square Deal set up in the caliber I load the most...and the Lyman gets used for the rest. I wish I could snag a couple more for the price I paid for this one at a garage sale...apparently word got out that they were good presses.
    Last edited by WickedWillie; 04-26-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought my AA about 25-30 years ago from an elderly gentleman who had bought it from the estate auction of John Amber... sent to him ostensibly for testing for the Handloader's Digest. The gentleman had apparently never used it to load on and it had most of a 16 ga. loading setup installed... which meant I didn't get the adaptor bushing, so I had to get one to completely set it up for my 327 loading. All Lyman dies with even a multi-expand through the die powder drop and an Accu-Measure Powder measure... so I straddle a few generations of parts combined here.

Yep, the All American is a great press and I'm happy to have one.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I have 4 mounted to my bench's . all with the push button Primer system. learned on them Best machines mounted with powder measures ready to go all the time
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    I've had one of these for several years and had never really used it. While being here at the house for the last 6 weeks due to virus I decided to put it to use or list it for sale (here of course- never ebay). Mine has the standard 7/8 x 14 holes and the rubber handle instead of the wooden one. It does have the primer feed, which I don't use but did not have the priming post. I took an old drill bit the right size and turned the top to seat a primer just a hair below flush.

My most used cast rifle loads had always been .30-30 that I load on a C-H pistol champ 4 hole press (primer feed and powder measure removed). My second most loaded cast rifle cartridge is 8mm Mauser which had always gone through the Rock Chucker. The dies are now set up in the All American with an old Hollywood powder measure at station #3 set for C.H. Harris load of 13 grs Red Dot.

I use it like a single stage, but still pretty handy to pick up the press, C-clamp to bench (press mounted to a board), and load 25 - 30 rounds before I could dig out the dies and set a powder measure.

Steve
    Last edited by curiousgeorge; 04-28-2020 at 08:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    They're not really red, it just photographs that way. I grew up loading on one. If you want a press that doesn't hang down below the bench edge, then it's the press for you. The press is threaded 7/8 X 14. LYMAN still catalogs the shell holder conversion to use std shell holders & priming punches to go with them. And the 7/8 X 14 adapter's for their #55 Powder Measure and Truline Jr or 310 dies. I just checked their 2018 Catelog.
    Mine is really very red

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow, a lot of people must be stuck at home reading old posts! I reactivated my All American (which is somewhere between red and deep rose in color) this week. I had long ago set it up as a dedicated press for loading 327 Fed Mag, using Lyman dies including the through-the-die combination mouth expander powder drop. It even has a Lyman Accumeasure powder measure on it. I haven't been able to find the Lyman taper crimp die, so it has a Lee Factory Crimp Die in the 4th station, its one non-Lyman accessory. The one noticeable drawback to this press is its use of the old J-type shell holders, and my #9 for this caliber was made a little loosely for my liking. I know I can use a converter and a "modern" shell holder, but I like to stay old school, disadvantage or no.

Froggie

Banned
    The Lyman turret press that became known as the All-American as Lyman never gave it a name or model number, it was just the turret press. All-American was a marketing name for Lyman's new line of 7/8x14 dies to fit their two new models of reloading press's, the Comet single stage and the turret press. Both presse were referred to as All-American in Lyman literature. Lacking a more definitive name the turret press quickly became the All-American.
    Introduced in 1957 the new turret press became the flagship of the Lyman line of reloading tools. It remained in the catalog through 1981 even holding its own against the very popular Spar-T turret press. Actually, both presses are equal in performance, one won't do anything the other will do.

But, it's an All-American and that makes it special even today. And yes, they were all painted red. During it's long production run only the handle was changed and the large shotgun die hole eliminated. It was never adapted to take the industry standard shellholder.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    My all Time favorite press
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Mold
    Good evening folks,

I just registered and this is my first post. Just looking for info and education. I love casting bullets but Im a newbie. I started casting wheel weight bullets a few years ago. Lee pot and Lee tumble lube molds. Beautiful .356, .357 and .452 ingots spewed forth and I was hooked! Then I put those beautiful boolits in a bowl and poured the equivalent of 90 weight oil on them.

THEN: thanks to you guys I found powder coating; again totally hooked!!

Now i am setting up to cast, pc, and resize multiple calibers. I inherited a Lyman manual turret press and it looked to be a great bench accessory for plugging in all my Lee boolit sizing dies. Problem is the "post" for pushing the the boolits does not fit in the ram of the lyman press.

A little help??????

Boolit Master

If I understand what you are asking, you need an adapter to adapt your Lyman All American turret press ram from using J shell holders to the modern universal shell holders. I have an adapter on my Lyman All American to do just that. james

Banned

I still use my mid 70’s All American…………. I learned on a Tru line junior and upgraded to the All American soon after getting into handloading back in 1972!

Boolit Mold
    YES, James! Thank for for understanding my poor explanation. Where do I find this adaptor and what is it called?

Thank you again

Boolit Mold
    YES, James! Thank for for understanding my poor explanation. Where do I find this adaptor and what is it called?

Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Oldeyed View Post

Thank you again
    Probably from C-H4D
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

You can find adapters on evilbay once in a while and I think you can probably get one from Dave at CH4D. My adapter came with my press, which I bought used. james

Boolit Grand Master
    Oldeyed, the item you need is available directly from Lyman and their dealers. It’s called a “J to X Shell Holder Adaptor” and has been continuously made just about since the conversion by Lyman to the standard (they call them “X type”) shell holders. You lose a little bit of throw for your “post” but it shouldn’t be a problem for your intended use of the press. Also, if you actually use the press to load ammo with this adaptor in place you will need a special style of priming punch (also available from Lyman) to do this job. Got to the source for best results!

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    Two All Americans listed on Ebay currently.Both have the turret that use shotgun dies.One has no adapter for the shotgun position.The other has an adapter but it appears to be to adapt to TruLine Jr dies.
    I ran across that adapter at a gunshow, it came with a 250-3000 CMR and a 250-3000 DA. $20 for the set. Had to have it for my collection, in case I ever own an All American. There was also a NIB set of 7x57 dies, the CMR is in the picture, and yes, $20 for that set as well. I do believe i've become one of those dreaded collectors.

I assumed that it was to adapt the 1.1 x 28 threads of the All American press to 5/8 (.610) x 30 of a 310 die. But it is to adapt the 1 1/4 x 18 thread of a Herters press to the 5/8 (.610) x 30 of a 310 die.

Thanks Pressman: You may be onto something there. The 310 dies were in a box of Herters dies and there was a Herters press beside it. The Herters press had two rams and weighed a ton.

And I just measured the thread, it is 1 1/4 x 18. My bad, assuming does get one in trouble.

I now own a valueless bobble. LOL!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 310 to All American.jpg  
    Last edited by nitro-express; 11-05-2021 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Correct misinformation.

Banned
    NITRO EXPRESS, have you measured the threads on that bushing? Finding any Lyman All American bushing is rare, but one made for actual Lyman dies, well you would have a better chance at winning the Powerball.

From your picture those look like 18tpi threads and will fit a Herter's press. Herter's is the only one who cataloged an adapter of that style.

Really curious now!!

[QUOTE

But, it's an All-American and that makes it special even today. And yes, they were all painted red. During it's long production run only the handle was changed and the large shotgun die hole eliminated. It was never adapted to take the industry standard shellholder.
    Ken[/QUOTE]

I have three and all have the one hole with the shotgun die bushing and the wooden hand grippy thing. One is most definitely Lyman Orange in color and the other two are red. They all have original factory paint.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast