Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Picked up a well worn Ruger Vaquero

Boolit Master

Picked up a well worn Ruger Vaquero

I found a nice old Ruger Vaquero, haven't shot it yet, in .45 Colt. This is one of the earlier ones, 1997 according the serial number. The finish is worn, but a slick action and mint bore, got it at a good price, $289 out the door.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice. You'll like it. I love both of mine. Got a 45LC and a 45 ACP.

Boolit Buddy

David I've owned 2 of them, both early production , both excellent guns. I'd buy all I ever run across at that price, congratulations.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    I got one like it in 1994. Also have a Sheriff model from lipseys. I love them both.

Boolit Grand Master

David;
    You made a GOOD buy. I bought a Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt to shoot the side matches at BPCR Silhouette matches (black powder). I gained a great deal of respect in the black powder .45 Colt cartridge. The Vaquero is an EXCELLENT platform for this cartridge. I won more than my share of matches with this Bisley Vaquero:

Amazingly, this revolver shot to the sights at 25 yards with my chosen load, right out of the box. This is a seriously good piece!

Dale53

I'd say you paid a reasonable price, and picked up a good gun. About 10 years ago I found one in .44 Mag. in a dealer's showcase. At first I thought it was an early Colt 1873, as it was in a condition of no finish and lots of external pitting. But looking closer I could see "Ruger", which piqued my curiosity enough to look at it more closely. Turned out to be stainless, and according to the dealer it had belonged to a SASS member who wanted to make it look old. He coated it with iodine before going in to dinner, forgot about it, and in the morning it was pitted. I got it for a decent price, then spent several days filing and polishing out all the pits until it looked pretty decent, then added a set of those pewter floral pattern grips. Now it looks like something Roy Rogers would have worn in a parade. The cylinder still times, but is a bit loose when uncocked, and it shoots very well. A couple of years later I bought a New Model Vaquero which I still have, but came to the opinion that I like the original model better.