RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: Encore Barrel Lock Up / Cocking Issue - Help

Encore Barrel Lock Up / Cocking Issue - Help

I've got an Encore pistol barrel that is not working properly in one of my frames that I could use some help with.

I have two frames and about ten different barrels. Every barrel works in both frames, except for one. This barrel is a Virgin Valley and works fine in one frame but not the other. It will close completely but is not allowing the hammer to cock. No other barrel has any issues when used with this particular frame. I've measured the locking block (split, two-piece block) of the barrel and its measurements are all with in a thousandth or two of every other barrel's block. I was thinking to smoke or marker up the top of the block to see how it looks after opening/closing it few times - but unless it is something drastic (like the block isn't moving) I am not sure what to even look for. Any ideas or other things I should be checking out?

I've had Encores for years but just am not that familiar with their inner workings. I've never had reason to look, they have just always worked perfectly for me.

Boolit Master

On the problem barrel, the locking lugs are not extending far enough into the breech to engage the lever to allow the hammer to cock. Mark the top of the lugs on the problem barrel with magic marker and also a second barrel that works. You should see a difference on the amount of lug engagement between the two. Some folks will stone the lugs. The simpler fix is to exchange out the locking lugs for new/different ones if you're not mechanically inclined.

Boolit Master

Also, if it is a really tight fit/lockup, closing the action with a snap can allow the lugs to seat a little more deeply. Give that a try first.

Boolit Master
    I had a 222 barrel on my Contender that would lock up and not open, had to knock out pin. Stoned a few thousand’s off the lugs and it worked fine after that. Todd/3leg

I stoned the lugs a bit and cleaned up in/around the channel that houses the lugs. Now it will cock if I "snap" it shut but not if I close it gently. I'll do a bit more stoning on the lugs and see if that gets it down to where it will work with just closing it normal. I'm thinking I may need a stronger locking lug spring.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

A stronger spring may get you there, but I believe it is a stacking of tolerances. You could probably switch lugs with another barrel and they would both work just fine

Boolit Master
    I have the same issue with a Bullberry. I know what it is and just keep it away from the frames it won't lock up on. Not worth the messing around to me to have it work on all my frames.