Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Find water when needed

Boolit Master
    When I was a kid, we had an old guy who could find water for you. He used a long metal "crow-bar", balanced on his fingers, held horizontal to the ground. He would slowly walk over the ground until the end of the bar began to tip downward. He would count the number of times the tip touched the ground and that was how deep to dig. He could tell if the proposed well would be a seepage well or a strong producer. In the area we wanted a well he told my Dad that we would get water at fifteen feet but it would only be a seepage well and would not produce all year. He was right. He witched in another area and told Dad if he dug there he would get more water than he could use. At six and a half feet they had to pull the well digger out because the water came in so fast he could not stay ahead of the (hand operated) pump. The water rose to six inches below the top and it never dropped any lower. In later years they brought a pumper truck out from town and it could not lower the water level at all.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    "Science: The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena." -American Heritage Dictionary.

I find it ironic when worshippers of the religion of "science" assume that lack of knowledge of a particular subject equates to proof of non-existence. Looking at it logically, all new scientific breakthroughs would be fallacy since the world's best scientists didn't already know about the new discovery.

Consider that again: observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation. That is the best description I have found of science.
    Contrast that with Webster-Merriam; "Science: the state of knowing; knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding."
    That is what most people seem to think about science, but it is demonstrably incorrect.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that just because a group of scientists have overstepped their bounds to claim something doesn't exist because they lack the ability to replicate it; is not proof of non-existence.
    Interesting comments, case in point. We have another thread here
    Bullets in a fire that has a video that proves what the Ammo does in a fire and there are still folks claiming it can penetrate steel. (oh my lying eyes)
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    I use heavy copper wires bent to an "L". It is an amazing experience but they are the reason we have the best well in our neighborhood with wonderful quality water compared to nearby wells with salt or sulphur. A friend and I were asked once by a local historical society to dowse an old cemetery that all the graves were supposed to have been removed in the 1880's. We found a couple dozen still with remains and one literally threw the rods out of our hands. That makes the hair stand on end!! Later, a ground penetrating radar confirmed the bodies were still in the old graves and the scary one (for us) had three remains in it, a mother and children. The condos/apartments were never built on the hallowed ground thankfully.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    "Science: The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena." -American Heritage Dictionary.

I find it ironic when worshippers of the religion of "science" assume that lack of knowledge of a particular subject equates to proof of non-existence. Looking at it logically, all new scientific breakthroughs would be fallacy since the world's best scientists didn't already know about the new discovery.

Consider that again: observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation. That is the best description I have found of science.
    Contrast that with Webster-Merriam; "Science: the state of knowing; knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding."
    That is what most people seem to think about science, but it is demonstrably incorrect.

I could go on, but the bottom line is that just because a group of scientists have overstepped their bounds to claim something doesn't exist because they lack the ability to replicate it; is not proof of non-existence.
    I'll start by saying I am a scientist with the sheepskin to prove it now, and generally trust scientific principles.
    THAT SAID... One of the first things you learn about science, is that the scientific method cannot ever actually prove a theory! It could be a commonly held "fact" that is one day proven very wrong. I look at witching much the same way, that most folks in science would say the notion that you can find water, precious metals, buried objects and so in, is pure backwoods baloney. I however as I stated in my previous reply to this thread, have seen enough evidence to believe in it! There may not be a scientific principle behind it to explain it (and we as humans tend to strongly reject anything that we can't quickly explain) but it certainly does work! I look at it similar to God, where there are all sorts of scientific minded folks that are otherwise smart enough, but can't wrap their head around the idea of a supreme being. I have seen enough evidence with my own eyes to believe, and that's enough for me!
    I go with the preponderance of evidence, which in my case, supports the validity of witching or dowsing, and of a higher power! Scientific explanation or not!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

There may be water down there everywhere but in many places it is scarce and may be only found in one small area as I watched the guy doing on the one property. My area water is down there I'm sure but I am the only one who didn't go very very deep and have enough flow. The non-believers all spent a fortune. Got dirty water and some with very low flow. As far as bullets in a fire penetrating steel.....I seriously doubt that but I did witness bullets from a fire hit a neighbors house and crack the vinyl siding. I only saw something like that once and I was quite surprised but it did happen.

Boolit Master
    I've seen it work,but it doesn't work for me.
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master
    I have taken a dollar bill and hid it in my bosses office when he was out of town and asked him to find it using his metal wands. He did.
    He wasn't a crackpot, either. He was the longest serving Mayor of our town.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Interesting comments, case in point. We have another thread here
    Bullets in a fire that has a video that proves what the Ammo does in a fire and there are still folks claiming it can penetrate steel. (oh my lying eyes)
    Nope that's not a case in point at all. It's easy to prove that doesn't happen, and easy to explain mathematically why it doesn't happen. Unlike dowsing, we actually have enough facts to disprove that claim. Unless of course we're talking about steel foil.
    Last edited by Tracy; 11-01-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 429421Cowboy View Post
    I'll start by saying I am a scientist with the sheepskin to prove it now, and generally trust scientific principles.
    THAT SAID... One of the first things you learn about science, is that the scientific method cannot ever actually prove a theory! It could be a commonly held "fact" that is one day proven very wrong. I look at witching much the same way, that most folks in science would say the notion that you can find water, precious metals, buried objects and so in, is pure backwoods baloney. I however as I stated in my previous reply to this thread, have seen enough evidence to believe in it! There may not be a scientific principle behind it to explain it (and we as humans tend to strongly reject anything that we can't quickly explain) but it certainly does work! I look at it similar to God, where there are all sorts of scientific minded folks that are otherwise smart enough, but can't wrap their head around the idea of a supreme being. I have seen enough evidence with my own eyes to believe, and that's enough for me!
    I go with the preponderance of evidence, which in my case, supports the validity of witching or dowsing, and of a higher power! Scientific explanation or not!
    Exactly.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I've used the two wire rods to find underground lines many times. You have to watch out for overhead power lines as they will pick that up too.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

As I mentioned #1 about the professor at UNM finding the water wells along highway 60 to the Arizona state line, previous to that , many dry holes were drilled without success. I don't know all the details about that , only what I read published in the newspaper. Some facts about that desert type country and cattle ranches is that should a ranch have one or two water sources, the cows learned how far they could go each day to graze and return for water. The number of cattle was decided by that fact. They measured the number of cattle the land could stand , not by how many cows per acre, but how many acres it takes per cow.
    I worked with the State Biologist doing habitat improvement in that area by helping him with up to seven boys from the Boys Ranch. We did various and sundry things to get the improvements done. One of them was to build/weld a device forming a ladder six inches wide and adjusted and fastened with bolts inside the holding tank that allowed animals that fell in to use the ladder to escape drowning. We would build devices that kept the cattle away from the tank or reservoir and drink from an overflow pit. The deer and elk could jump the fence and drink but did no damage like the cattle did. We traveled to over thirty of those sites and got a pretty good idea how big that country is. Someone would buy a big piece of land and have it surveyed and laid out in small two to five acre plots and then start drilling for water wells. Next, the project would be abandoned.
    The methodic way the windmill wells were located really impressed me as I would talk to a rancher and he would tell about the dry holes that had been drilled the "it ought to look good 'bout right here" way. In addition to the forked stick someone mentioned map devineing. Also there is dowsing with a pendulum, one example of that was the thimble on a string..... Some people feel that with their hands only. Some people are deliberate to use only a willow fork cut by the moon signs. I have been told that you can find buried things by thinking only about what you are seeking underground. Boy , did I ever open a can of worms. LOL

Boolit Master
    Cowboy, as a scientist as well, I couldn't have written it as well as you. A couple years back I read stories about the military searching for lost mass graves from WW II at a Pacific atoll. After our experience at the supposedly empty cemetery, I wondered what my dowsing rods would have done. Then again I am not sure I would want to find out.

Boolit Master
    I suppose that you might believe in Big Foot if you also believe they are able to avoid being road kill for about 100 years.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I suppose that you might believe in Big Foot if you also believe they are able to avoid being road kill for about 100 years.
    Plenty of bigfoot have been hit by cars over the years.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I have used pin flags that are used to mark underground utilities for years to locate underground waterlines but I never know what I'll find. Take a 2x4, lay it on the ground and walk across it, the wires will cross, same for a mop handle, same for an empty PVC pipe. It's a carp shoot with me.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Plenty of bigfoot have been hit by cars over the years.
    I watched a documentary about that. It's called "Harry and the Hendersons"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    I have used pin flags that are used to mark underground utilities for years to locate underground waterlines but I never know what I'll find. Take a 2x4, lay it on the ground and walk across it, the wires will cross, same for a mop handle, same for an empty PVC pipe. It's a carp shoot with me.

Slim
    For me, I need to concentrate on what I am looking for in particular.

Thikking back, there were usually a few guys with wire in their quivers at 4-D archery shoots to find lost arrows.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I use the fork rod made of maple.I do not eel the bark off, I can tell if it is surface water or in ledge. I had work for a well drilling outfit years ago as a helper on the drilling rig .the operator was usen the rods and was walking too fast and did not pick up the water and I told him i can do it and he look at me as if I could not and I told him about what I wrote on here and I was right. I still can do it now tell what will be hit first.Willow will work also. It need to be of a tree that take in alot of water.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

I've tried it and been either a dismal failure or really successful. I found a 7c emerald because I looked where the rods said. I've found gold for the same reason. Since that's the only association I have with the blind squirrel, I figure all the dry holes I dug were just practice, or to make me appreciate my few good fortunes. I too think it's the subject of deep concentration that is detected by the rods. Mine were made of brazing rods but in a pinch forked sticks work.
    My BIL punched wells for a living and wouldn't start the process without devining first. He'd punch a hole where you said without any guarantee, or where the rods said with a guarantee of a useable amount of good water. Both holes cost the same. He told me that some folks just need a really deep post hole to hide their stuborn in.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post

Slim
    Yup, you be correct. The wires will cross anything horizontal whether it be below the ground, on top of the ground or above the ground.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast