Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 😱 metal slivers created during reloading with SDB

Boolit Master
    When I had my SDB, I was shaving lead and the brass was squeezing down my boolits. I had LatheSmith here on the forum make me custom funnel with a wider/deeper expander plug. The funnel loaded thousands of rounds in the SDB and continues on in the 550C. No problems since switching.

Boolit Grand Master

The lead "slivers" is the reason I seat the boolit in one die and crimp in a separate die ...
    as the case mouth crimps in the boolit is still moving down . Those little slivers would sometimes get trapped under/in the crimp and fired in the gun.....not good.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Update #2:

I made a couple new seating stems at different OAL's. They work perfectly with single head stamp brass, and nearly perfectly with mixed head stamps. The rare shaving of the latter, which were multi fired, went away with just a bit more than the minimal flare I use with single once fired head stamps, perhaps compensating for different case lengths. Regardless of the case, even the new stems shave if I change the OAL from what the stem was made for, and the new stems, like the first I made, have off center impressions.

So, as jmorris suggested, I may have some run out issues. I may call Dillon, but since I have a fix (my production rate is back to 400 plus good rounds per hour), I might just call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    When I had my SDB, I was shaving lead and the brass was squeezing down my boolits. I had LatheSmith here on the forum make me custom funnel with a wider/deeper expander plug. The funnel loaded thousands of rounds in the SDB and continues on in the 550C. No problems since switching.
    Enough flare on the case and a custom expander plug which is about .002 inch smaller in diameter as your cast boolit size, and you should have no problems

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12