Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Land line out

Boolit Grand Master

Land line out

My land line phone has been out for over four weeks now.
    Phone company guy came and said the main line on the pole was all corroded.
    Nothing he could do.
    He made a report. Said it would be about a week before they would come out.
    A few days later saw three trucks working up on the poles.
    They were working on it for the rest of the week.
    Still no phone.
    Next week saw them working on another pole.
    Worked all week and still no phone.
    Last week I saw then pulling a new line.
    Wondered why they didn't do that the first time.
    It wasn't the problem. I still don't have a phone.
    Found out it's the whole area that is out.
    Now they are telling me maybe next week.
    At least the computer DSL is still working.
    One good thing is no political robo calls.

Boolit Buddy

I'm retired phone company. Download a complaint form from your Public Service Commission, fill it out and send it in. They will contact the phone company. In my state when the phone company applies for a rate increase each and every PSC complaint is addressed. It can effect whether or not they get the increase. These complaints also are put into the specific supervisors file and it can effect his/her yearly evaluation .

Boolit Master

If you have a good internet connection, get Magic Jack and be done with the phone company. Magic Jack is cheap.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    If you have a good internet connection, get Magic Jack and be done with the phone company. Magic Jack is cheap.
    I agree w/ a VOIP service. I ditched the land line when I dropped DSL and switched to cable for my internet connection. Windstream wanted $70 a month for a land line. That’s ridiculous so I had the number ported over to 1-VOIP. Phone works like nothing changed.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

+1 on the Magic Jack! I've had one for three years with only a few issues that were corrected in a timely manor. Very cost effective.
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by condorjohn View Post
    +1 on the Magic Jack! I've had one for three years with only a few issues that were corrected in a timely manor. Very cost effective.
    what is magic jack

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A concern with dependence on VOIP is whether E-911 positioning is active in your area because FCC requirements in some areas are not being met:

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...nd-911-service

If you have or are thinking of subscribing to an interconnected VoIP service, you should:

Provide your accurate physical address to your interconnected VoIP service provider to ensure that emergency services can quickly be dispatched to your location.

Be familiar with your VoIP service provider's procedures for updating your address, and promptly update address information in the event of a change.

Have a clear understanding of any limitations of your 911 service.

Inform children, babysitters and visitors about your VoIP service and its 911 limitations, if any.

If your power is out or your Internet connection is down, be aware that your VoIP service may not work. Consider installing a backup power supply, maintaining a traditional phone line or having a wireless phone as a backup.

If you have questions about whether the phone service you are receiving is an interconnected VoIP service, contact your service provider for further information.

PSAPs currently lack the technical capability to receive texts, photos and video.

The FCC requires that providers of interconnected VoIP telephone services using the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) meet Enhanced 911 (E911) obligations. E911 systems automatically provide to emergency service personnel a 911 caller's call back number and, in most cases, location information.

To reduce possible risks to public safety, the FCC requires interconnected VoIP providers to:

Automatically provide 911 service to all customers as a standard, mandatory feature. VoIP providers may not allow customers to "opt-out" of 911 service.

Obtain a customer's physical location prior to service activation, and provide one or more easy ways for customers to update the location they have registered with the provider if it changes.

Transmit all 911 calls, as well as a callback number and the caller's registered physical location, to the appropriate emergency services call center or local emergency authority.

Take appropriate action to ensure customers have a clear understanding of the limitations, if any, of their 911 service. They must distribute labels warning customers if 911 service may be limited or not available and instruct them to place the labels on or near equipment used with VoIP service.

Obtain affirmative acknowledgement from all customers that they are aware of and understand the limitations of their 911 service.

Ensure that a 911 call is routed to the appropriate PSAP in areas where emergency service providers are not capable of receiving or processing the location information or call back numbers not automatically transmitted with 911 calls.

VoIP service providers that do not fully interconnect with the PSTN are not currently required to comply with the FCC's 911 and E911 rules.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    The main phone line down here was cut by the county road crew a while back. I talked to the supervisor and he said he called it in right away. I called the phone company also and they said that they didn't know anything about it. I told them that both ends of the main wire were sticking out of the ground, everything was color coded and that I would hook some up until mine worked. They cautioned to be careful and the repairman was there in about an hour.

I ditched my land line after working with E911 phase 2. Cell detection is pretty dang good.

For those with VOIP be aware, that not all regional systems have incorporated the necessary changes to properly locate VOIP calls for 911. I am part of the group working on the MN next gen 911. Perhaps the east and west coast is ahead - but here in MN holy you know what is there a lot of work to do, and even the metro area is a ways behind for making things work.

Not that I'm trying to be a detractor, or trying to scare people in any way. internet systems are the way things are going. Just trying to give out some information.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm retired electric company. A Public Service Commission complaint does get attention. Most utility companies also have a standard about how long it takes to clear trouble. Good Luck on this.

I've worked on many major storms on coastal areas and corrosion from the salt air is an on going problem.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I ditched our land line about 10 yrs ago and don't miss it. We were hardly ever home anyway so to me it was money wasted.
    We live out in the sticks so DSL was out of the question so is cable.

My internet is through Nexus Systems. It is a fixed wireless system. I receive and transmit a signal to a tower I can see from my home. I pay about $70 a month for unlimited service.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master
    I submitted a couple more service request.
    Got a reply today telling me duplicates request will be deleted.
    The line was suppose to be fixed yesterday.
    Now they don't know when it's going to be done.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used Magic Jack for 10 years.. no problems. Also use Tracfone as backup. You can get magic jack free apps for the cellphone and ipad, but you need to be in range of your computer/ magic jack.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    what is magic jack
    Magic jack plugs into your computer w/internet and you plug a phone into it. I works as VOIP. It costs about $35 to buy with first years service and $12 a year after that. I bought one for my mother. I think you could plug a cordless phone base into it as well. It can also be brought with you if you live seasonally or long visits to friend & family and have a computer with internet to plug it where you go. You can usually use your existing phone number as well. I had my mother take her NY phone number on it and she uses it in FL. I was paying $40+ a month to have her landline (second #) for her to check her messages.

http://www.magicjack.com/index.html
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 11-07-2018 at 08:38 PM.

My rural power company just finished installing fiber cable to us this past week. Gigabit service for the same as I was paying dish for satellite service that was limited to 25mbits and 50 gigabytes per month. I'm hitting 350 to 400 which is great. So I reinstalled ooma system I had bought about 5 yrs ago before moving here. Great service , costs only the taxes you pay on phone systems. About $5 a month and you can set up 911 location ....

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    My rural power company just finished installing fiber cable to us this past week. Gigabit service for the same as I was paying dish for satellite service that was limited to 25mbits and 50 gigabytes per month. I'm hitting 350 to 400 which is great. So I reinstalled ooma system I had bought about 5 yrs ago before moving here. Great service , costs only the taxes you pay on phone systems. About $5 a month and you can set up 911 location ....
    I'm envious.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Banned

Next week saw them working on another pole.
    Worked all week and still no phone.
    Last week I saw then pulling a new line.
    Wondered why they didn't do that the first time.
    utility companys have had to cut back on personal and repair money. When I started as an electrical lineman in the early 80s we had 10 lineman in our office, two bosses and two secretarys. today they have 5 lineman one how is the working boss and that's it. We had about an unlimited budget to repair old stuff and did routine rebuilds on older lines every year. Today they don't rebuild something till it falls down and repairs are done as cheaply as possible. Im sure they first had to attempt to fix your line and found it was beyond repair and had to replace it. If they would have come there and replaced a line that could have been fairly easy to get up and running with a few bandaids. how would you think rate payers 10 miles away that phone bill is relative to maintance costs would have reacted to them spending there phone bill money on something that didn't need replacing. This is the type of thing you have to except if you want reasonable utility bills. When I first worked we never had ANYONE out of power for more then 24 hours. If we thought it was a possibility we called in help from other districts and even other utility companys. Todays reality is cost cutting has made that impossible and 2 and 3 day outages are getting common. people that don't work in these fields tend to think with a narrow forcus. they think these workers are at the shop sitting around and laughing while there phone or power is out. the forget that there are thousands of other customers that 2 or 3 guys have to keep up and running. Ask yourself this. Would you approve a rate hike in your phone bill if you had the option to vote to insure this never happened again or are you going to look at it logicaly and say it never happened before and it probably wont ever happen again so am I going to vote to increase my bill in case someone else has this happen to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Down South View Post
    I'm envious.
    Three LONG Years with Satellite junk was really HARD. We all had to bounce between cell data and satellite as we would hit the limit about a third of the time. And the satellite would barely then do email.
    Streaming? Yeah, I could stream, with a paper streamer running thru the yard..... It was hilarious to see Dish offer streaming for free on the TV service. The only issue is that it went THROUGH and counted against the data limit.
    What a hoax. I couldn't even stream a Youtube video at decent quality. Now it blasts through on 3 tvs and a couple of computers at the same time. Yeah, sweet.

Boolit Grand Master

I use cable service for TV, internet, and LL phone. Of the three, the phone has had the least problems. Even when the power was out over most of the city after Hugo, the phones worked.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master
    They were working on the line again today.
    They replaced another main line.
    Phone worked for about three hours, and shorted out again.
    When it was working, lots of static.
    So bad, not really usable.
    I guess they'll have to try again.
    I was thinking of changing to cable phone, but rectum cable bought out the cable service.
    Don't want to give them anymore.
    We have fiber phone, but it cost almost double.
    Computer works fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast