Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Independence Ranch, Texas

Boolit Buddy

Independence Ranch, Texas

Anybody ever been? Wife won a hunt and I'm looking into their reputation. Long drive from Minnesota. Also requires I get a Florida permit because they don't reciprocate. Good place to harvest some hog? Or other suggestions for a good pig hunt. Not looking for a trophy. Just want to get the wife's rifle wet and put some meat in the freezer.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I looked up the location (never heard of it) and it’s not in what I would consider a good place to hunt hogs. I sure wouldn’t be interested in driving from Minnesota to hunt there
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy
    When I first moved to texas I was on a hunt for a pig hunt. I entered into a drawing for a free pig hunt and won (I think it was independence). A free hog hunt was going to be 500 at least. From what I remember I could not process pigs myrself they had to do it at so much a pound dont remember the cost per pound, and there were other fees added into the free hunt. If I remember correct the hunt was free but every thing else had cost tied to it. never went because it did not seem to be cost effective.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. Very disappointing. Maybe I'll check with some friends in Tennessee who have friends that need pest control. You read about how bad the feral pig problem is in the South but then they make it so dang hard for an out of stater to get some. Either state land with ridiculous restrictions or complete jokes of "ranches" like this. Guess I'll be stuck with whatever beach she wants to go to again. Yay. I dang near had her sold on a pig hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Thanks guys. Very disappointing. Maybe I'll check with some friends in Tennessee who have friends that need pest control. You read about how bad the feral pig problem is in the South but then they make it so dang hard for an out of stater to get some. Either state land with ridiculous restrictions or complete jokes of "ranches" like this. Guess I'll be stuck with whatever beach she wants to go to again. Yay. I dang near had her sold on a pig hunt.

I hear ya, I would love to shoot a pig or two, but have found it near impossible to find land to hunt on.

Boolit Master

Florida has some good hunts for Hogs.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Free hunt as in 'free' advertisement? Skip that one. Paid hunting in Texas is expensive. Bamburger hunt for trophy deer is $8k per gun, yes, I've seen the trophy deer on the place, not 'cup' deer as a friend calls them.
    Whatever!

SureYnot, I have hunted several private ranches for deer, antelope, and buffalo and most were fair to excellent. After reading the reviews for this Independence Ranch, I would avoid it. It reeks of a pure "ripoff" at best. Anymore there is too many ripoff ranches out there and it is a smart move to research any ranch before you drop any money for a deposit on a hunt. I have encountered ripoff ranchers in Wyoming that tried to rip us off. After telling them no thanks, we went on to the next ranch and ended up getting a great deal on a hunt and fair treatment.

Vendor Sponsor
    If you are looking for a guided fair chase hunt, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for deluxe accomodations, you will be disappointed. If you want to be coddled and instructed at every turn, you will be disappointed. If you show up ready and with the equipment you need, are willing to throw down in a bunkhouse with your sleeping bag, can find your own *** with both hands and are looking to go hang out with good people and shoot some pigs you will most likely have a good time and find it a decent value.

I would expect most if not all of the pigs are trapped on local properties and dropped there, but some sows may drop litters while they are there, I did see at least one sow with a litter. I also saw one fery large, obviously domestic pig that had been delivered. He walked around the camp and hung out by the butcherihg area looking for scraps. I have a picture scratching his ears. The hand doing the butchering got tired of running him off the gut pile and told us, 50 cents a pound for him. Hearing this one of the hunters drew a 40 s&w and safely but promptly put him down. Problem solved.

All in all you get what you pay for. Do your homework, pay your money, show up prepared and have some fun. If you want to be pampered, go to adisneylahd. See what that costs.

Oh, yes I went there. Had a good time, got along just fine with everyone there, ate well and shot 2 pigs on the stalk portion, which was the best experience of the stay.
    Last edited by ammohead; 10-31-2018 at 03:40 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/livewildhogbuyingstation
    Enough said. Evidently there is a market for hogs (live) in Europe.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    If you are looking for a guided fair chase hunt, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for deluxe accomodations, you will be disappointed. If you want to be coddled and instructed at every turn, you will be disappointed. If you show up ready and with the equipment you need, are willing to throw down in a bunkhouse with your sleeping bag, can find your own *** with both hands and are looking to go hang out with good people and shoot some pigs you will most likely have a good time and find it a decent value.

I would expect most if not all of the pigs are trapped on local properties and dropped there, but some sows may drop litters while they are there, I did see at least one sow with a litter. I also saw one fery large, obviously domestic pig that had been delivered. He walked around the camp and hung out by the butcherihg area looking for scraps. I have a picture scratching his ears. The hand doing the butchering got tired of running him off the gut pile and told us, 50 cents a pound for him. Hearing this one of the hunters drew a 40 s&w and safely but promptly put him down. Problem solved.

All in all you get what you pay for. Do your homework, pay your money, show up prepared and have some fun. If you want to be pampered, go to adisneylahd. See what that costs.

Oh, yes I went there. Had a good time, got along just fine with everyone there, ate well and shot 2 pigs on the stalk portion, which was the best experience of the stay.
    Thank you. None of that sounds bad. "They like to hang out on the other side of that ridge" is about all the guidance I'm looking for.

Boolit Buddy

Wink

100% agree with everything Ammohead posted.

I hunted there (Independence Ranch) in 2010 right after I retired from the Marine Corps.

Took a friend for the “free hunt” and we killed 4 nice sized pigs for 600 bucks (plus tips for the skinner’s and cook).

We brought back a lot of meat and we had a very good time.

The hogs we killed were “spot and stalk”, we didn’t shoot any over corn from a “shooting” house although at the time that was certainly an option (not sure how they run the place now).

Was it what I expected? No, but it was fun and we had a good time.

Are there better places to hunt in Texas, absolutely, but, as Ammohead (and others stated) you get what you pay for.

Would I drive/fly all the way there from Minnesota just to hunt there?

The answer to that question is a resounding “No”.

My kids live in Texas and I’m out there a couple of times a year so squeezing in a hog hunt somewhere is easy for me.

If your down that way to visit family or on business it’s not a terrible place to shoot some pigs.

A few pics from my hunt in 2010:

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    I guess I'm lucky, Never had to pay to hunt hogs. Not going to shoot a bore with nads the size of my fists.
    Still have hog meat in freezer from a 250 lb sow, gave half away..

On the down side no big deer around but plenty to fill freezer ; ) PS Hope you find a place with better reviews
    H/D