Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Care and hunting

Boolit Buddy

Care and hunting

So I'm going on a nine day elk hunt, and am taking my .54 with me in hopes of getting a Bull with it. I have used it before and taken cows but that was hunting and coming home each night. On this trip I will be living in a Whelen lean. My question is, can I leave the rifle loaded? Is it just a matter of, if the charge may have been contaminated discharge and reload? What have others done? So far the weather looks rainy, like every day rainy. As I am fairly new to this I seek the wisdom of the Sages of this forum. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may share.

Normally, I would say if you can control moisture at the flash hole and muzzle....I'd leave it loaded. Given the conditions predicted, and my assumption the you'll be $$ invested in an elk hunt, I would think hard about discharging, light cleaning, and reloading daily....or at least the days that the rifle might have been exposed to a lot of moisture. …...I can't imaging living with myself if I had a misfire lined up on a bull elk.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

If it were me I would get a CO2 discharger if you are hunting with a tradational rifle and blow it out each night, The cost is small compared to a missed shot.
    Inline I still would empty it but have no idea other than shooting it. No matter what the advertisments its not worth blowing an oppertunity and I have known several times when they failed to fire localy when deer hunting.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Buddy
    I hunted a 7 day season this year. Lived in my wall tent. Loaded my clean dry bore on the night before the season. Taped the muzzle with black electrical tape and good solid #11 cap seal on nipple. left the rifle in the pick up at night (low 30's at night) 2 days of rain and the rest were mid 50's and part sun during days. At the end of season took careful aim at a piece of firewood and KABOOM. No hesitation. Keep it dry as possible seal the bore and no problems...except for the big prize..ELK, that one is up to you.

Boolit Master
    Put a condom or balloon over the muzzle. Don't worry about it when you shoot. A piece of tape over the nipple is helpful if you don't want to leave a cap on it in the camp. And as stated earlier, keep it dry in the truck overnight.
    Of course, ALL of the other suggestions were good, too!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    i load my flintlock and a percussion gun in october and leave it loaded till i shoot it or till the end of the hunting season. i tape the barrels as stated above, change the prime everyday and the #11 cap. after i remove the cap at night i put something over the nipple and lower the hammer on to it. they have never failed to fire even months later. i do keep them in my truck all season also. in pa if the pan is empty or the cap is off their not considered loaded. on the flint i do put a hammerstall on the frizzen and gently lower the flint into it.

I always try to cover the muzzle with a balloon and use a rubber band to secure it, so it won't interfere with the front sight.

They also sell these Traditions "rain gear" rubber muzzle covers:--->>> https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...SABEgJF6_D_BwE

Standard aquarium pump airline tubing can be used to help seal cap bases onto the nipple in a water proof fashion.
    Just make sure that the thin rings of cut tubing don't interfere with your hammer when it falls and will provide enough clearance for a clean nipple strike.
    The tubing can be purchased at any pet supply or at some Walmart stores.

Putting breech plug grease or anti-seize on the nipple threads should suffice to prevent any moisture from seeping in through the threads.
    Using Teflon tape on the nipple threads should not be necessary and would be rather experimental, but a personal option if one chooses to try it.

I would leave the rifle loaded if everything is properly sealed.
    Last edited by arcticap; 10-29-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Banned

for a flintlock, nothing to do but feather the touch hole - and of course, the pan is empty. plugging or taping the muzzle is optional and only necessary if things get misty and/or wet, or the down time goes past a few days to a week.

Boolit Master

and if it,s raining the day of the hunt cover the pan and lock of a flinter to keep it dry

Boolit Master
    I put a piece of inner tube over the nipple and cap when I'm ready to fire. I've never had a failure to fire and I've tested this by putting the gun outside all night in a pouring rain and firing it in the morning. Always worked for me. Cover the muzzle also as others described.

Quote Originally Posted by irishtoo View Post

i load my flintlock and a percussion gun in october and leave it loaded till i shoot it or till the end of the hunting season. -

Ditto

i tape the barrels as stated above, change the prime everyday and the #11 cap. -

Ditto

after i remove the cap at night i put something over the nipple and lower the hammer on to it. -

Ditto, but I have a 1"x1/2" piece of leather that I put rawhide loop (shoelace) on, to loop/secure it around the hammer - the leather makes good seal with the hammer dropped onto it & the nipple.

they have never failed to fire even months later. -

Ditto, but if I haven't fired it, I've left mine loaded with the leather seal until the next year's hunting season.

on the flint i do put a hammerstall on the frizzen and gently lower the flint into it. -

FWIW, on my rocklocks, I simply temporarily plug the vent (hole) with a wooden toothpick.

Good luck on yer Elk hunt, John !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    I thank all of you for your helpful advice. Lots of good thoughts here. Thanks again, only four more days till Elk time. Gunny John