Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data PBcastco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New maker Rossi '92

Boolit Master
    RD: The link to the Smith Shop is much appreciated. GF

Super Moderator

...............I also made one out of steel for my Rossi. I doubt the plastic one would have been an issue, it just rattled my sensibilities

After the new one was all finished and polished I heat blued it. Poor photo tho'.

I did some other 'Dinking around' with it.

I refinished the wood, which didn't require much work and it turned out much nicer. I also replaced the factory rear sight. Once again just to please myself.

I also 'remodeled' the front band. Previously it was much too thick around the stock and over the barrel without any real definition to it. By thinning down the radius all the way around the circumference, and especially over the barrel, I was able to create that step or ledge on both sides. There was still too much 'Air' between the forend and the band. I cut through the band on the underside and by "File & Try" I got it down to where the band fit the forend very nicely when pinched together.

At that point I MiG welded it back together. Some small filing and then polishing had it looking MUCH more likeable

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Here's a thread on how I made a follower out of two empty cases, a .40 and a .44 mag. Pretty simple, and it's still working perfectly.

https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewt...ollower#p41351

All you need to know about Rossi's on that site, www.rossi-rifleman.com

As far as the hardware ejector spring, I used a Century C-530, available in most stores. No changes needed, just pop it in and empty cases land at your feet. It also seemed to me to lessen the effort to cock the gun.

Another gripe about Rossi's is the sharpness at the edges of the loading gate. If the new maker hasn't addressed that, I found the top end of a drill bit rubbed on the sharp parts peened the sharp edges off pretty well.

Edit: I guess the proper term is burnished, not peened.
    Last edited by Speedo66; 11-07-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Buckshot, did you "mare's leg" that buttstock or is it my Eyes??

In Remembrance
    Some good tips here. I did make a brass follower and it is functioning fine. I also worked the lever 30-40 times, cleaned the action and lubed all the sliding/friction points. The action now works with one finger to operate it. This without ever dis-assembling the rifle.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Buckshot, did you "mare's leg" that buttstock or is it my Eyes??
    Nope, sorry Tex. It's yore aaahs.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    CBC is just one in the same under the blanket of Forjas Taurus SA

My choice of aftermarket springs and followers for the Rossi is the Smith Shop.
    Wassup, Ranch Dog! I still use your load data quite a bit.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    I got the gun late yesterday. Was happy with appearance, but may hand-rub a new finish on sometime in the future. First impressions.....action was surprisingly smooth right out of the box. Trigger pull an entirely different animal. Wow, it is STIFF!, even with the hammer pulled back. Will definitely work on that! Oh, and I thought the new guns didn't have that little "safety" on top of the bolt, not true.
    I got mine on Nov. 3. Trigger was 6.2 pounds by my gauge. Worked it some, and dropped in two drops of Rem. oil with hammer cocked. Now it is down to 5.2 pounds. Still pretty heavy, but I was surprised that a couple of drops of oil would help that much. Appears it is shipped kind of dry from the factory.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod74989.aspx

I'm pretty sure this was the spring kit I put in mine when i slicked up my 44. This with the addition a little polish on working surfaces improved mine dramatically. The biggest help was the ejector spring, once I installed it, that action smoothed right out. Dropped cases in a neat little pile about two foot away afterwards as well.

Boolit Master
    Anyone have a good link for dealers/distributors on these.
    I wanted either a 16" .45 Colt or .454. Preferably stainless, but could live with blued.
    Any ideas on twist rates in those calibers?
    Will they feed 270SAA's without issue?
    Been wanting one, then they became tough to find and everyone was showing out of stock.

I need to buy a .45 for my 45th before I turn 46.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Wassup, Ranch Dog! I still use your load data quite a bit.
    Good to hear, I'm still kicking!
    Michael

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    Anyone have a good link for dealers/distributors on these.
    I wanted either a 16" .45 Colt or .454. Preferably stainless, but could live with blued.
    Any ideas on twist rates in those calibers?
    Will they feed 270SAA's without issue?
    Been wanting one, then they became tough to find and everyone was showing out of stock.

I need to buy a .45 for my 45th before I turn 46.
    You will need to start searching the internet. No 45 Colts were made in 2018, and 454 Casull production ended in 2014. Only a few 357 Mags (#923572093) have been brought in this year. Supposedly, 44 Mags (#920442093) was going to be imported, but I don't think I've seen any. The part numbers changed for 2018; if they are not the numbers listed, they are new, old stock.

I doubt you will see any more new rifles this year as typically, Rossi is done with current year by now. The next year imports don't start until after the gun show. It will be interesting to see what the distributors purchase as most retailers think Rossi is defunct. Supposedly, the levergun plant is being relocated, and hopefully, they will get rifles flowing. Distributors that committed funds to 2018 orders might be slow to consider in '19. Rossi did not meet the need.

Rossi put all their eggs in a $125 22 rimfire rifle basket; who does that? The way they stacked up gunbroker, I'm sure distributors won't make that mistake again.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Yeah that doesn't sound good.
    May wind up with a Henry.

I thought the Rossi's felt lighter and more "svelte" though.

Thanks for the info RD!!

I like it for sure Buckshot. Ah do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    Yeah that doesn't sound good.
    May wind up with a Henry.

I thought the Rossi's felt lighter and more "svelte" though.

Thanks for the info RD!!
    Had a Henry Brass Big Boy; it was just too heavy for a pistol caliber lever gun ... 2.68 pounds heavier than the Rossi. I traded the Henry for a Rossi R92, and love how much lighter and handier it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I was unhappy when I looked in and saw a plastic follower in my 357.
    Who woulda ever thunk it???
    I would not even have had an issue with stamped metal follower.

BUT

Plastic?

Bought a SS follower from a guy in the NE US.

I would have preferred a faster twist too, would never have bought it if I knew it was 1:30.

Unlike others, so far I have not been able to get any accuracy out of the heavier boolits . . .180 LAR45 or RD for instance.
    I will see what some load suggestions do for that.

OH . . . AND

Getting a tang sight and ditching that buckhorn that it is shipped with.
    I could NEVER get a good sight picture with it for some reason
    Groo here
    To shoot heavy [300+gr] bullets will require full power loads to get the RPM,s up.
    If a ruger redhawk [1/20 twist] will shoot 300 gr bullets well at 1000fps, the rossi [1/30 twist] will need about 1500 fps to get the same RPM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12