Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Shotgun slug barrels?

Boolit Master

Shotgun slug barrels?

I'm trying to identify a maker of 12 gauge slug barrels and/or barrel blanks. E. R. Shaw has barrel blanks advertised on their web site. But I received a reply to my purchase query that Shaw ceased manufacture several years ago. So I'm back to square one - locating a source. It would be pleasant to identify a maker who also offers chambering-fitting to receiver as an additional cost item, but this would be the cherry atop my hot fudge sundae.

With the knowledge that several states and [more] shotgun-only hunting areas occur throughout the country, finding barrels and/or barrel blanks should not be as difficult as it appears to be. My Internet searches show many slug shotguns for sale but, so far, not what I seek.

I've even considered buying slug gun just to acquire its barrel. I've ruled this out because such a fitted barrel is much less likely to fit my receiver. And it may be a total loss by its barrel shank having too small a diameter.

So . . . 12 gauge slug barrel blanks?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master
    What receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    What receiver?

+1 - IME, most (not all, like early Ithaca Model 37's) pump & auto-loading shotguns with QD barrels don't usually require any special fitting beyond a simple barrel switch.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

http://www.hastingsbarrels.com/ May not be available??? Did have blanks. Special order??

Boolit Master

The receiver is Winchester 1897 solid frame, circa 1920s. Please refrain from identifying problems that could be associated with this older shotgun. I've discussed them with myself and decided that I still wanted this specific model of this specific shotgun rendered as a slug gun. I like the gun and the action. For me, that's sufficient reason.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Barreled and chambered correctly, that old 97 will be a great 12 gauge rifle. Good luck with your project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
    The receiver is Winchester 1897 solid frame, circa 1920s. Please refrain from identifying problems that could be associated with this older shotgun. I've discussed them with myself and decided that I still wanted this specific model of this specific shotgun rendered as a slug gun. I like the gun and the action. For me, that's sufficient reason.
    I've killed a lot of deer with my 97 and home cast Lyman slugs. Mine is older than 1920 and has killed a lot of everything this state has to offer. I bought it from a guy at work in 1969 for $25.00 I had only been home from the army a few months and just married. There is just something about thumbing the hammer back on an old Winny (Rifle or Shotgun) for the shot that gives me a rush.