Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Hoch - Colorado Shooters Supply mold assumbly

Vendor Sponsor

Hoch - Colorado Shooters Supply mold assumbly

Hoch - Colorado Shooters Supply mold assembly, adjustment

I have a problem with getting a top and bottom plate adjusted because the two cap screws do not act like they should.
    It should be easy but they act crazy, even left handed but they are not.
    I have had this problem in the past 15-20 years ago with a mold and Dave Farmer told me to return it and he would fix it. He would not advise me what the trick was. It is a secret I guess.

So............ who knows what I am talking about and what is the trick?
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

Took some work. I fixed it.
    It would seem by the response that very few people have or use this mold.
    Chill Wills

I had one of his moulds for a time. It didn't work when I got it, but after lapping both plates and making new spacers the correct length it did just fine. I'm not a big fan of them any longer after owning that one.

Vendor Sponsor

I have a bunch. More than 10. I am not sure when I first ordered one, sometime in the '80 and I cast with them all the time. In that amount of use this is the second time I needed to mess with one. It fell off the bench, totally my fault.
    This is basically a Pope design mold.
    The mold blocks and the round spacer are ground to the exact same size and square. Machine screws (2) hold the top and bottom plates together and the correct distance apart. The top plate is clearance drilled through and the bottom plate, as I learned is drilled and taped with lock nuts below that.

My "problem mold" machine screws were LOCKED up in the bottom plate tighter than could be moved. In the end, I twisted off one 10-32 in the middle and twisted the corners of the Allan Key round. Then the drill out and fix started.
    Life is good now that my mold is running smooth and casting great bullets again. Good for another 100,000 miles
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Hoch mold for my 45-70
    one of my favorites plus its a nose pour
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I have a bunch. More than 10. I am not sure when I first ordered one, sometime in the '80 and I cast with them all the time. In that amount of use this is the second time I needed to mess with one. It fell off the bench, totally my fault.
    This is basically a Pope design mold.
    The mold blocks and the round spacer are ground to the exact same size and square. Machine screws (2) hold the top and bottom plates together and the correct distance apart. The top plate is clearance drilled through and the bottom plate, as I learned is drilled and taped with lock nuts below that.

My "problem mold" machine screws were LOCKED up in the bottom plate tighter than could be moved. In the end, I twisted off one 10-32 in the middle and twisted the corners of the Allen Key round. That is when the drill-out and fix started.
    Life is good now that my mold is running smooth and casting great bullets again. The Hoch mold is good for another 100,000 miles
    resizedscn1814.jpg (180.6 KB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resizedscn1814.jpg  
    Chill Wills