Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 yard accuracy

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

100 yard accuracy

What are your accuracy expectations and actual results with common sporting type rifles at 100 yards?

After reading about all the 1" and under groups that apparently everyone but me can shoot, I was quite disappointed in my results. My average was 2"-2 1/2" for five shots. This was not including some iron sight autoloader patterns. The best groups were fired from my CZ 452 with a Leupold 3x9 EFR scope.

At 35 yards this rifle will shoot 3/8"-1/2" all day long. I have on occasion, put 5 shots inside a 45 caliber bullet hole at that range but only when the stars were aligned and the gods were smiling on me. That sure didn't translate to 100 yards very well.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    Ammo is everything - stay sub sonic
    Get some wind flags also.

Banned

yep, it's all about the cartridges ... and the sights/scope ... and the gun ... and you, the shootist ... and yer consistent accuracy expectations. at well past 150yds, with a 16" crickett and it's cheap 4x scope, and 1200fps federal auto-load .22LR cartridges, i was hitting a 10" plate on near every shot this past friday. that was fun and about as accurate as can be considering the tools and shooter. to each their own.

Boolit Master

2 inch groups will get the job done. Rest every few shots. Stay calm and slowly squeeze the trigger and get a surprise break. Right before you start to squeeze the trigger, open your other eye, this will help you settle down with your aim. It takes a bit to get an inch group or less, but it can be done. Start with a smaller caliber like a 22LR and at 25 yards and don't just plow through ammo. Try to get them all in the same hole, then move back. Try letting the bbl cool between shots by slowing down your shooting pace. That kind of accuracy is almost a perishable skill.

Sub sonlc and a calm day will give you best results. My best groups at 100 yds with a .22 weren't much smaller than 3" with Stingers. I got 5 in 1-1/4" with CCI std vel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

You're doing just fine! Standard .22 rifles and std velocity ammo IME is around 2-3" @100 yds. There is a lot working against you as opposed to your .222 or .243 varmit gun. With the .22 rimfire first you have the ammo quality, the long barrel time and then there is any little wind. Keyboard groups are always the tightest groups.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    What are your accuracy expectations and actual results with common sporting type rifles at 100 yards?

After reading about all the 1" and under groups that apparently everyone but me can shoot, I was quite disappointed in my results. My average was 2"-2 1/2" for five shots. This was not including some iron sight autoloader patterns. The best groups were fired from my CZ 452 with a Leupold 3x9 EFR scope.

At 35 yards this rifle will shoot 3/8"-1/2" all day long. I have on occasion, put 5 shots inside a 45 caliber bullet hole at that range but only when the stars were aligned and the gods were smiling on me. That sure didn't translate to 100 yards very well.
    I guess that everyone wants to win the Nationals at Camp Perry shooting a sporter and commercial ammo.
    Then why is the official 100 yard small bore target printed on a 14" X 14" paper?--->>> https://www.amazon.com/Yard-Small-Ri.../dp/B018MBY55Y
    I know someone who shoots in a 100 yard prone league and uses top of the line ammo., rifle, high power scope and a barrel tuner.
    Sometimes it's just one bad shot that makes a difference or the number of X's.
    But they're not shooting 5 shot groups. They're shooting 100's of shots over many weeks, aggregrating scores to obtain a weekly average.

There's an old saying: "Don't believe anything that you hear and only 1/2 of what you see".
    Last edited by arcticap; 10-30-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    This past Saturday was 100 yard scoped .22 match after high power. I witnessed an honest 100-10X that was not a fluke. His first score target was 100-9X. This particular club member is has been shooting .22 RF for many years and has equipment and experience to go with it. This is a bench shoot on hundred yard small bore target. His groups were quarter size and smaller. Conditions were almost ideal. Ammo makes a difference.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Banned

Smile

My club instituted a new trophy for a 110 yard bench rest competition a few years ago. I managed to win it, for better or for worse, with a 5/8" measured group, shot while sitting next to the competitions officer who measured the groups with a computer. My name was the first on the cup to prove it! The rifle is the first powder burner I bought, some 25 years ago, a CZ 452 'Style'. It gets cleaned once every couple of years whether it needs it or not. The barrel was cut to 16" and threaded. A sound moderator was fitted. The trigger was tweaked by a gunsmith. The scope was a miscellaneous hunting scope, a 'Rhino' IIRC, maximum magnification 14x with a not too thin reticule.

I was shooting from a bench with a bipod mounted and using an empty ammunition box for a rear rest. OK, the ammunition was Eley Tenex but I have found with this rifle that it will group much the same with most decent ammo, the Tenex just eliminated the occasional flier which the others, notably SK Standard Plus very occasionally throw out. Hope that helps.

P.S. Perhaps living proof that it's better to be lucky than clever.

Boolit Grand Master
    For me, wind is the biggest factor, if I have good ammunition. I can shoot sub MOA with the .308. I assume that means I have decent trigger control and skill. I will normally limit my shooting to about 75 yards with the .22's. The standard velocity ammunition is less affected by wind but any wind will affect that itty bitty bullet but for plinking I use whatever is the cheapest, and critters get the HV HP's.
    Don Verna

Time for some empirical research. Gotta go shoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I'm glad I'm not the only one. About the best I've ever been able to do consistently is 1.5" at 100 yards, with my best rifle on a good day with good ammo. Of course I don't have any really good rifles, and I'm much too cheap to buy really good ammo.

I used to read about guys who were shooting MOA with there off the shelf AR with cheap FMJ ammo "all day long, as long as I do my part".
    It confused me and made me feel inferior, until I realized that most of it was internet braggadocio. Then I was talking to a guy one time who mentioned that it really wasn't hard to shoot minute-of-angle. He could do it himself, at 25 yards. Isn't "minute of angle" just a one inch group?

I don't mean that to diminish what some of you guys can do.

I have a heavy barreled Savage 223 that can shoot sub 1 inch groups at 200 yards on a calm day with match handloads. I have a couple of very good 22 rimfire rifles that I shoot from the bench and I seldom can approach 1 inch at 100 yards. with either of them regardless of ammunition. I have yet to shoot a 5 shot 1 inch group at 100 yards with them.
    At 50 yards they will shoot dime sized groups as long as you wish to keep shooting. That next 50 yards makes things a lot more difficult.

Boolit Master

if you want to talk a BR rf rifle, fed ammo it likes, well under an inch at 100yds isnt hard. problems occur when you take an average rifle, feed it normal rimfire ammo vs that nice expensive match ammo, 3-9x scope or smaller vs 24,36 or more powerful scope on a BR rig. my cooper trp3 doesnt have any problem shooting under an inch at 100, all day long group after group, but its not doing it with $2 a box ammo and a walmart blister pack scope. for the average guy with a 2-300 dollar rifle, a low buck scope and 2-4buck a box ammo, realistic expectations should be somewhere between an inch and 3 inches at 100yds. it is all relative, and when people say it cant be done or its bs, those are people who have never done it, and dont have the equipment to do it. the commonality is about like going road racing with a smart car vs vettes, and expecting anything other than losing badly.

Boolit Master

it is all relative, and when people say it cant be done or its bs, those are people who have never done it, and dont have the equipment to do it.
    I have no doubt that it can be done, with the right rifle and ammo. I've also seen impressive accuracy on rare occasion with an inexpensive rifle, when everything seems to line up somehow.

Not a rimfire, but many years ago I helped a friend load a bunch of .22 Hornet ammo for his ancient, beat up, Savage model 23. That rifle would shoot sub-1" groups at 100 yards consistently. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't done it.

Boolit Master
    Some people can do it, but I think that 3x9EFR is holding you back. I have a CZ455 with a Mueller that is a 8-32x44 and it is wonderful. I have only shot it at 25 and 50 yards but it is night and day versus a 3-9x40. Parallax is adjustable as well and that will affect groups as much as anything.

Boolit Master

With 22s, first comes the ammo then the platform. It is really noticiable with a good rifle, a chronograph searching ammo samples for a potential. Cheap bulk box with 150+ velocity variations is the big culprit. There are some riflrs thoogh that favorna perticular bulk box ammo and shoots well minus the velocity flyers. The only way to tell is getting out and finding the one and being able to swallow the bad result or missed shot or find a better fodder.

One that I've alway come to try in Rem blue box target when you can find it and another good sign is cheap ammo with a triangle symbol headstamp on the brass case. I can't recall who makes the primed brass but is has been used by PMC and one other manufacturer from Mehxico.

Boolit Buddy

Roysha I shoot thru a 452 UL regularly. I have found Geco ammo for bolt actions gives me the best results so far, $5.99 a box at Bud's. Fitted with a 2x7 Vortex Crossfire II scope that seells for $119 at my lgs. I've shot 1" groups a couple times with it but I'm at 1.5" consistently from the bench using front and rear bags. I am satisfied with these groups from equipment that has cost me very little so far. I would like to try some of the really good Eley ammo in it but I know I'll never feed it through the gun regularly. Good luck .
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    I've had many sub-MOA groups with a number of my rimfire rifles over the years. But. . . . . (there's always a "but")

I can't claim to be able to do it consistently or on demand.
    The most consistent and closest to a true MOA or less rifle was a Win. 52C, but several of my martinis and pre-war Mausers were not far behind. As has been noted multiple times, wind conditions and ammunition preferences are a large part of the equation.

Boolit Master
    Long 22LR history here. I still shoot them a lot.

Being a member of the club,I participated a 22-Sniper competition a few years back, didn't do very well myself after a five hour drive (excuses,excuses...) but I witnessed some phenomenal accuracy.

The longest range was 120 meters,matchbox size targets side by side,some being no-shoot targets. Even a little wind has to be taken into account. Some guys just knocked the right targets (steel) one by one from sometimes difficult positions. Many stages had no chance for a proper support,that was part of the game.

I like to shoot clays @ 200 meters with a suppressed CZ452 using a canted Leupold Mil-Dot scope. Got a suitable silhouette range nearby,my clay targets are on the backstop berm.

Many people like to say you can't shoot 22 LR accurately past 100 or so because of the velocity transition to subsonic. I must be wrong because Win Powerpoint works just as good as Lapua Scoremax. Great fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast