WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingStainLess Steel Media
Graf & SonsInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 yard accuracy

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Most important in .22 rimfire is the chamber.

Typical "sporting" .22 LR chambers are larger in diameter and longer to permit reliable function, free chambering and extraction in semi-auto firearms.

"Match" chambers used in bolt-action and single-shot target rifles are close to maximum cartridge dimensions and are shorter, such that the bearing surface of the bullet is pre-engraved by the origin of rifling upon chambering.

Some hybrid chambers such as "Bentz" are used for semi-auto competition rifles and pistols, in which the rear of the chamber body is similar to the sporting chamber, but the mouth of the chamber is close to max. cartridge and the length of the chamber is such that the bullet impinges lightly against the rifling. The interference fit is not enough to impair semi-auto function, but provides a more consistent shot-start than a sloppy, sporting chamber.

Unplated, greased or waxed standard velocity or match-grade ammunition fired in a match chamber will shoot minute of angle at 100 yards.

Ordinary high velocity ammunition of good quality will shoot under 2 m.o.a. in a match chamber most of the time.

Any .22 LR ammunition which shoots 2-inch, ten-shot, 100-yard groups from a sporting chambered .22 rifle with scope should be considered VERY good and you should go buy it all!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

certain ammo is more accurate than others...so yes I would say that ammo is a factor
    Using my Mossberg model 40B, with peep-sights, I can hold the groups down such that they are not more than 1-1/2" at 100 yds
    The biggest problem at 100 yds and using peep-sights is that the target has to be clearly lit (think sunshine) otherwise I can't find the target !
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master

The sporter weight 22s are hard to get to recoil the same every shot on the bench. Triggers may not be as good as the match grade rifles. chambers vary in sporter rifles since they are meant to chamber every type of ammo out there. 22 rimfire varies a lot from maker to maker and even lot to lot.

Good wind flags are needed since that little 40 grn slug is in the wind longer than other ammo is.

Gaging ammo and segregating it by rim thickness, length to ogive and bullet dia can show an improvement in accuracy. Testing as many different ammos as you can may show a real winner. The better 22 shooters test a lot of ammo and even different lot numbers of the same then buy a large amount of the best for the rifle.

I have shot the 22 rimfire out to 200yds testing ammo and it will do good. the transition is a true issue and high velocity may go thru this under 100 yds.

One minute of angle is 1.0471996" at 100 yards. It'd be half that at at 50 yards, so just over 1/2" there.

To get that sort of accuracy you need the firearm to be consistent, and the shooter to be consistent as well.

Breathing, heart beat, proper hold, all of those need to be together

Boolit Master
    Both my Krico and Sportco mod 15 bolt guns will shoot 40mm (1.1/2 inch groups at the 100 mark with ammo of their choice, Federal bulk in the Krico and Winchester in the Sportco, both scoped of cause. If I could shoot better I am sure this could be improved on. Regards Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post

Breathing, heart beat, proper hold, all of those need to be together
    Feet are important,too. If the bench fits good, pay attention to the heel/toe pressure to the ground. Steady and relaxed. Always the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12