Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Ruger MARK IV 22/45 misfire

Boolit Bub

Ruger MARK IV 22/45 misfire

I have the Ruger MARK IV 22/45 with bull barrel. The gun suffer from a lot of miss fires using Remington and CCI mini mags.
    The bolt seats properly since you can pull the trigger and the striker is released and strikes the cartridge, but not hard enough to fire the bullet. I have cleaned the gun and specially the chamber area.

I use this gun for my students who have never fired a gun before. Good experience with procedures for clearing a miss fire, but it is getting old.

any one else had an issue with this?

Suggestions on fix?

Or information I failed to mention you might need

Boolit Master

The Ruger .22's can build up powder residue around the frame/barrel meeting areas and that can cause the bolt not to go completely home. Especially around and slightly below the feed ramp and in the ejector recess. I rarely shoot MiniMags in my pistols--only in rifles. Remington .22lr have a history of misfires with me; and around the people that I shoot with. I have heard arguments as to why but nothing I could hang my hat on. I have owned and shot Colts, S&W, Browning and Ruger pistols and never had much trouble at all as long as they are keep clean but I have found Ruger pistols do require a greater level of cleaning around the bolt and barrel face area than the others. I have an older stainless 22/45 and I like it but it does require me to keep it clean or misfires will take place. I really clean it well after about 200 or more rounds. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Bub
    Thank you sir for the reply. The weekend is here and sounds like I have a gun to clean better than I had before.

I ran the mini mags because the rate of miss fires was a lot lower, but still happens once a clip

Boolit Master
    I have never had anything, but trouble out of Remington ammo, especially the golden bullets. Misfires and trouble feeding in any weapon I have used them in. I have had a lot of trouble with 22/45 Rugers Mk 3's, m isfiring on the first round. In every one of them I have worked on, about 12 so far, it has been the mag safety binding. I take the mag safety out, and run 1000 rounds with no issues. The mag safety is bad to bind in these guns. Might want to look at taking it out. Before hand, every first round would snap, then the rest of the clip would fire, for the most part. These pistols are run hard by guys shooting competition, and they haver had no issues, period, since I removed the mag safteys.

Boolit Buddy

I don't know if they are the same or not, but I have a Mark II, and it loves mini mags. Koger may have the answer in the mag safety. I would also check the firing pin in the bolt, make sure the channel the pin rides in is clean. And make sure the firing pin isn't bent, although I can't see how it could be. Or a burr on anything.
    Dan