Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to add lube grooves

How to add lube grooves

I will be using a swag-o-matic to swage some GC'd bullets and will be needing to add some lube grooves.
    Is there a simple and practical way to do that?
    The idea I had was putting two files in a vice and running them in between. Are there other better methods?
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Boolit Grand Master
    A tubing cutter might turn the trick, perhaps with the blade intentionally blunted, but it seems as though it would be crazily labor intensive.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

Just a thought.

Go to the tool warehouse company that sells tools to plumbers and maintenance guys in factories. Spartan Tools is local to me, not a harbor freight. Ask to see the coarsest thread repair files they have. The longer the better. Make a handle so you can put some weight into it. Roll the cast boolit on a hard surface like a metal topped table under the thread file. Then a quick pass through the lubricator sizer.

I have never tried this. I have used a thread file and they look different than any file you’ve ever used.

PM me if this works for you. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C97621E6-B83D-4F79-9D11-B25DA7A02E26.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	231033

Moderator Emeritus

Where's waksupi when ya need him?
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Grand Master

Rolling or press in the grooves in will distort the rest of the base on the bullet. You would nee a set up to maintain the complete bullet. Displaced material need to go somewhere and will result in raised edges, longer lengths, and out of square noses and bases if not supported.

You could make a fixture for use in a lathe to cut the grooves in removing material. A simple nose form to support and drive in chuck and a flat point on a live center to tension and drive. Then a ground .030 wide grooving tool to cut the groove. A form tool to cut multiple grooves could be made to cut multiples in one plunge of the tool could also be done. This would offer less distortion since it removes material not displacing it.

What are you wanting to do here? Take a existing bullet down to a smaller caliber thus removing the existing grooves? You might consider powder coating instead of adding grooves. Swage down to size coat bake and size.

Boolit Grand Master

There are some acceptable options:

- knurling: check here http://www.corbins.com/hct-2.htm
    - grooving tool: http://www.corbins.com/hct-3.htm
    - home made knurling tool: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-knurling-tool

I made my own knurling tool similar to the Corbin but quite a bit larger since I wanted to be sure I could knurl ACWW. I also made what I call microgroove rollers for it which put in annular ring much like Lee tumble lube grooves. Both knurling and my microgroove work just fine with tumble lube.

Be warned though that knurling will increase boolit diameter by 0.003" to 0.005". So if you want a specific final diameter after knurling that swaged boolit will have to be 0.003" to 0.005" under especially if you want to size after.

My microgroove tooling did the same and I have to assume that the Corbin groover does as well.

Longbow

Banned

I think I have some lube grooves for sale.... I'll have to look around a bit.

Boolit Grand Master

In retrospect yeah if Blammer or Waksupi have any extra lube grooves that would be your easiest solution. I think those accessory lube grooves just stretch over the boolit then roll them into place... right?

Boolit Bub
    I had a similar question, recently as well
    see this thread

For my purposes, I will be trying to powdercoat, instead of adding the grooves.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I think I have some lube grooves for sale.... I'll have to look around a bit.
    Metric or SAE?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Hey nobody asked if the lube grooves are left handed or right handed. It does make a difference. I know this is true because I found it on the interweb…...
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    I see powder coating was mentioned , but how about after lube sizing add a coat of tumble lube also .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    CH4D also makes a cannalure tool , I'm sure a different faced wheel could be aquired for it .
    I had a modified mould that needed more lube groove . I had several files available and just used an edge and rolled it several rotations to form a knerled crimp groove like a V shaped groove . It worked but wasn't really efficient in terms of time .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by gon2shoot View Post
    Where's waksupi when ya need him?
    LOL! That was my first thought!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Vendor Sponsor

I was wondering how long it would be before the " lube grooves for sale" started up again!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    heard that loob grooves both sae and metric were backordered also the right and left twist ones may be discontinued due to dropping sales only standards would be available. Is this correct ? Does anyone know if this is all heresay or is it factual?

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like to know how much these add-on lube grooves add to the weight of the boolit?

Knurling a bullet will hold just as much lube than 4 lube grooves but you want to keep in mind that knurling or grooving a lead bullet will relocate lead to another place, you can't compress lead. Knurling will increase a bullet diameter as much as .012" depending on how aggressive the knurl pattern is.
    You mentioned that your using a swage-O-matic so your most likely swaging pistol bullets with that little press and dies a light knurl will work just fine as long as you don't over rotate the knurled bullet. The more pressure the deeper the knurl and the more you increase the diameter of the bullets.

Attachment 231239Attachment 231240

Boolit Master

Easiest solution is to throw the bullets in the pot and melt then re-pour into a mold with grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Easiest solution is to throw the bullets in the pot and melt then re-pour into a mold with grooves.
    sometimes taking the EZ solution is not always the best way, But this time I would agree with you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast