WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionPBcastco
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a 22 semi auto. suggestions please.

One of my 22lr Semi auto pistols is a Mark II target model. Extremely accurate but doesn't like certain brands/types of ammo. I know what it likes so that's what I feed it.

rfd--- Thanks for posting about the Savage 64. That is a very interesting video and now I have to consider another rifle.
    I can currently get a new one for about $120.

I think I am going to make some rounds of the gun stores today and see what I can find in the used gun racks.

Banned

my "rimfire steel challenge" duo. the only mods i made to the 64 was the m-carbo trigger spring kit and quick mag release, and the bushnell red dot. the s&w victory is just flat out superb and worlds better than my old and long gone mark III.

Boolit Master
    A Kidd 10/22 trigger is worth $200 all day. Really fixed up a Charger for me.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    For me the 10/22 is the glock, AR, Chevy & Jeep of the rimfire world. Plenty of stuff that takes it from what it is to the users ideal of what it should be. My oldest has one and it works just fine with a decent scope for general plinking.

I have a 80's Marlin 60 (pre barrel/magazine reduction to meet NJ law), a 1950s JC Higgins Model 31 and a 1st gen Ruger Single 6. They will be the last guns I will ever get rid of and each of them are fairly reliable and highly accurate.

In the end the choice is yours to make to meet your needs...

Super Moderator

The Ruger 10/22 probably is the standard that others are judged by. It's reliable, and reasonably accurate. The Thompson-Center TCR 22 "might" be a viable alternative though. The reviews I have read on it have been generally pretty good.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...ncenter-tcr22/

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    If you don't have an aversion to a handgun...the Ruger MK I or II can really be a lot of fun. I have an older MK II and can burn through cheap ammo in no time. I generally don't go to the range with less than 300 rounds at a time. The price point is about the same as a 10/22.

just a thought.

redhawk
    I suddenly feel really old and stupid. I have a S&W 617 that will shoot anything that will fit in the chambers. No worries about feeding. It likes specific ammunition better than others but will do reasonably well with anything.
    I need some trigger time with my handguns anyway. This would be a great way to accomplish both things.

Thanks to all of you for your interest and input. I think I have found my solution.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I suddenly feel really old and stupid.

Why? You had a legitimate question...you asked, received input...drew your own conclusion. Sounds like good logical reasoning to me.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Super Moderator

Why spoil a perfectly good reason to buy another cool firearm?

Boolit Master
    another good choice would be a old Remington speedmaster 552,itll eat about anything I have thrown at it

Boolit Master
    Ruger 1022 ,change the hammer for a power custom one ,plastic buffer, extended mag release shoot it with various ammo till you find the one you gun likes .keep it clean job done.

You are making us cry by having to make do with that junky old 617

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tazman"I own a couple of semi auto pistols in 22lr. Unfortunately, they are picky about what they will feed reliably." Bersa Thunder .22. Mine is a thirty year old stainless model and it will shoot anything you throw at it. Reasonable price.

Boolit Master
    Forgot about the Speedmaster, nice rifles and any one of them I've shot was accurate and reliable. Feels like a "real" rifle too. Now that 617, yeah good choice. I have a 4 inch nodash and it's a keeper. Beware they will leadup with some of the bulkbox junk, and plated was the type that got me. 50 rounds or so filled the bore to the point a 22 cleaning rod would not pass. Overnight in kroil and I pushed out an 1 1/4 tube of lead! I wiped each of the rest of that carton with mineral oil patch before loading to be able to use them. Didn't help accuracy but kept the lead attached to the projectile instead of in my barrel. They leaded anything I put them in!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

I have two Marlin 795s
    Have been very reliable and are inexpensive
    Stick magazines
    Worth consideration

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Why? You had a legitimate question...you asked, received input...drew your own conclusion. Sounds like good logical reasoning to me.

redhawk
    The issue is that I forgot I had it in the safe. I hate to admit that but it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Why spoil a perfectly good reason to buy another cool firearm?
    You raise a good point. I will need to think about that.

Love the fit and shoot ability of my pre NJ ban marlin 60 (22” barrel and 18, yes, 18 shots). Can shoot a golf ball until it’s out of sight. $85 used a year ago. And now ammo is a little over $20 for a brick at Walmart. Life is good.

Boolit Master

10/22 so many options in aftermarket or a good plinker as is.

Banned
    I purchased a 22 autoloader recently. It is far far better than my expectations. This gun weighs in at just 4 lbs. Has a great plastic stock that fits a grown adult as well as a younger person. Comes with a 10 shot mag and 25 shot mags are available. It has the slots milled for easy installation of a 22 scope. Mine is known for accuracy...I have never had a jam or misfire with it. One caveat is that it is a bit difficult to fully disassemble until you get used to it. This gun is OVERLOOKED by most simply because of the price. People see the price and think..."that has got to be a piece of junk" How much? $99 at Walmart. Mossberg 702 Plinkster. If you are not embarrassed to pay so little for a gun, check it out. I have read several reviews by folks who also own the wildly popular 10/22 that claim it is as accurate or more accurate as the 10/22 and as reliable or more reliable. It will eat any 22lr with a smile. I think it would even cycle longs as well as long rifles, due to a soft but long spring.
    One other possible suggestion... if you don't mind spending more money consider a pump. I believe shooting a pump 22 is the most fun a human being is capable of experiencing. Semi autos are dull and boring...they make you feel kind of like a girl compared to pumps ...Just my opinion folks no reason to get upset.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are looking at used I would recommend a semi auto Stevens 87. My father has one that is older than he is, that shoot any ammo to the same POA regardless of brand. If the ammo you are using doesn't cycle then you can lock the breech closed and manually cycle the rounds.

Boolit Bub
    My vote is 10/22... fantastic for the price, eats anything, can get good quality 25 round mags also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast