Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: 500gr 457 bullet?

Boolit Bub

500gr 457 bullet?

i have a 458 socom and i'm looking to try a 500gr bullet (or 5) to see if they cycle in my firearm. 405 cycle no problem, i'm cerious about 500gr though. does anyone have a few 500gr bullets laying around .457 to .459? i'll size them etc etc. dont want to buy a mold if it's not going to cycle in my firearm though.

Boolit Grand Master

Since your locked into a overall length for this cartridge you need to see what how much case capacity these heavier bullets will take away. They may work better done the same as the 80 and heavier do in a ar 223 by single loading, this dose away with the restriction of mag length rounds.

A 500 grn flat point will be shorter than the round nose and both will be shorter than a money nose.. Put a post in the swapping and selling asking for test bullet. You might start with the lyman 457125, this is a true round nose. Next to try would be the lyman 535 grn postell, a better shaped nose for long range. The money styles might turn up also. My heavy bullet for the 45-90 and 45-70 is a 550 grn shilouette by old west moulds.

Another thing to check before jumping in is the twist rate of your rifles barrel. The above mentioned bullets are roughly 1.3"-1.5" long. My 45s have 18-1 twist barrels on them. if your in the 1-20 range then you may have stabilization problems

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Do you have reloading specs for 500grs? Don’t forget to reduce your powder chage! Best of luck.

Boolit Master

I shoot 500 gr bullets out of my RRA .458 SOCOM quite often. I have shot both the Lee 500 gr. and now I shoot the NOE 500 gr. HTC bullet. Both of them shoot fine in my SOCOM using RL7 powder.

In the first pic below you can see the Lee 500 gr. bullet loaded in the SOCOM case. Those were coated in Hi Tek Bronze 500.

In the second pic on the right you can see the NOE 500 gr. coated in PC and loaded in the SOCOM case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bronze 500.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	229799
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC 458 SOCOM.web.jpg  
    Last edited by Intel6; 11-03-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    This 480 grainer cycles in a Tromix. But it gets beaten up on the way to chamber, I get strange leading outside the case mouth and then it goes everywhere.

I just got a 325 RF to try one of these days. I'm definitely no expert loading cast for AR:s and it sort of looks I'll never be one. Lots of scrubbing with this project,I tried 400's with no success,too. Looks like the coating gets beaten up no matter what.

Good luck!

Attachment 229817

Attachment 229818

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Maybe it needs a higher rate of twist to get it stabilized. There is info on the internet for up to 600grs. Jacketed Im sure.

Boolit Master
    People shoot cast with these quite successfully. I haven't been in subsonic velocities,rather the opposite. No keyholing or anything like that with the 480 FN. But my bullet is a wrong one,being a wide meplat Marlin design.

Attachment 229821