Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: The Pietta 5.5" Sheriff's Model

Boolit Buddy

The Pietta 5.5" Sheriff's Model

Hi all! I promised this video a couple of weeks ago, and now here it is! Below is the video review of my Pietta 5.5 inch "Sheriff's Model." Check out the review and range test, then be sure to let me know what YOU think of this cool little C&B revolver!

Howard

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Excellent video and a great review! The 5" NMA is probably one of a very few models I haven't fired. I have handled the sheriff model and I liked it. Great shooting by the way! Thanks for sharing!

Boolit Bub
    That video has me looking at prices for a Sheriff model!
    I bought a full size model the year before the sheriff model came out, or that is the one I would have started with. They just look much more handy than the full size.

Exciting last shot that couldn't have been better scripted.
    Great video worthy of a great gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks fellas! I’m glad you liked it!

Howard

Boolit Master
    CUDDO'S, you did one bang up video=pun intended!!

Boolit Master
    Thanks Hrfunk that was a nice review, really enjoyed that.

Boolit Master
    Do you intend on measuring the chambers and barrel, along with twist rate? Curious if it has changed again.

You might be interested in trying Goex Olde Eynsford powder. A lot more peppy with less fouling for about $1 more.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I'll look into that powder. I doubt that I'll measure the chambers or check the twist rate. I will probably do a chronograph comparison between the long and short barreled versions.

Howard

Boolit Grand Master

Just as a matter of interest about 10 years ago I rebuilt a NMA cartridge conversion that was dug up in Arizona. The barrel had been shortened to 4 1/2 inches and it was chambered for 46 Remington. They were converted in the old days on occasion.

My personal NMA is 5 1/2" a conversion I have offered in the shop since 1982. The cylinder has been milled around the nipples for easier capping and the action tuned and the trigger set at 3 1/2 pounds. My grandson won last years club match with it and now feels it is HIS gun.

Boolit Master
    My old Navy Arms kit NMA was my first black powder weapon. Shot very well but was a bit nose heavy for me. I shortened the barrel to 5.5" and rounded the butt to a bird type. Felt very well in the hand and still shot well. A friend traded for it and he used it as his 'second' pistol in cowboy action shooting (his 'main' was a regular NMA).

My second favorite CB pistol was the colt sheriff. My wife claimed it as 'hers' when we took it to the range

Boolit Buddy
    Those darn grandson's have a way of doing things like that (being a grandson myself, I can speak with some authority on this matter!)

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Just as a matter of interest about 10 years ago I rebuilt a NMA cartridge conversion that was dug up in Arizona. The barrel had been shortened to 4 1/2 inches and it was chambered for 46 Remington. They were converted in the old days on occasion.

My personal NMA is 5 1/2" a conversion I have offered in the shop since 1982. The cylinder has been milled around the nipples for easier capping and the action tuned and the trigger set at 3 1/2 pounds. My grandson won last years club match with it and now feels it is HIS gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, and wives laying claim to your stuff.....well, I'd better not go there!

Thanks for the comments gents!

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    My old Navy Arms kit NMA was my first black powder weapon. Shot very well but was a bit nose heavy for me. I shortened the barrel to 5.5" and rounded the butt to a bird type. Felt very well in the hand and still shot well. A friend traded for it and he used it as his 'second' pistol in cowboy action shooting (his 'main' was a regular NMA).

My second favorite CB pistol was the colt sheriff. My wife claimed it as 'hers' when we took it to the range

USMC 77, USRA 79

Nicely done sir!!!! I have been playing with the Short Navy version, but it doesn’t have that strap above the cylinder so you still have to use the hammer sight. I do love the center of mass on the shorter versions, and they just feel right in the hand. I am gunna have to find me one of them sherrif’s shorty.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Bub
    One question, was point of aim and point of impact pretty well regulated on your Pietta? My full size shot way high, so I had to replace the front sight to get it to hit where I aimed.

Boolit Buddy
    It was quite well regulated. When I shot the thumbtack, the tip of my front sight was just touching the bottom of the tac.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Crowkiller View Post
    One question, was point of aim and point of impact pretty well regulated on your Pietta? My full size shot way high, so I had to replace the front sight to get it to hit where I aimed.

Boolit Master
    Surprising. My 2013 NMA Sheriff shoots quite low at 15 yds even with a ball. It also shoots left. I e been considering getting an Uberti sight (or a brass sight) and dovetailing it so I can fix this. It’s several inches low with my 170 and 195 grn bullets.

Great video and shooting demo! I have a full sized 1858; and the same brand Sheriff model, but I installed an R&D .45 Colt conversion cylinder in it and like it even more than with the BP configuration. It is one of the better balanced BP pistols in this 5 1/2" BBL configuration.

Boolit Buddy
    I keep thinking about a conversion cylinder for my NMA's. I haven't decided if I want to go that route, but I'm considering it!

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    Great video and shooting demo! I have a full sized 1858; and the same brand Sheriff model, but I installed an R&D .45 Colt conversion cylinder in it and like it even more than with the BP configuration. It is one of the better balanced BP pistols in this 5 1/2" BBL configuration.