Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal mould 358429 ?

Boolit Bub

Ideal mould 358429 ?

I was checking out some moulds I got earlier. Found an Ideal mould. 358 in top left corner 429 in top right corner and 126 along bottom edge in center all on the same side . it's a single cavity, steel mould in pretty nice shape. Can someone give me some info on this ? I've checked old posts and looked up ideal/Lyman and not finding what I'm looking for .thank you

Boolit Master

Ideal mould 358429 ?

The info you need is the 358-429 as this is the diameter (358) and the cherry number (429) that ideal used. The remaining digits are just a block matching piece so you don’t mix up blocks. For more information on how molds are numbered you can search the forum (each manufacturer may use different pattern), there are numerous posts on the subject.

Here is link to Midways site selling the design you asked about.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...semi-wadcutter

What kind of info are you looking for?

There was a group buy for this design a couple of years ago where MP Molds made some new ones of these with HP option. Very nice shooting bullet in my experience.

MiHec Brass 358429 HP/ Aluminum 8 Cavity 358429 Keith SWC - RERUN
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t

Boolit Buddy
    That bullet is an old favorite. It was designed by Elmer Keith the famous pistol shooter and gun writer. At a weight of 173gr, the bullet is quite a bit heavier than the usual 158gr round nose for the 38 Special cartridge. The heavier weight gives better penetration and the semi-wadcutter nose provides better energy transfer (shock). I have used this bullet in stout 38Sp loads for self defense. Also killed deer and coyotes with this bullet in 357 Magnum.

Your mould is an early one and may have some collector interest.

Boolit Master

When I started casting in 1970 I ordered two 4 cavity molds, a wadcutter and 358429. I've shot literally thousands of 358429 over the years in various .38's and .357's. It is a very accurate bullet over max charges of 2400 and 296/H110 and what I load for max performance .357 loads.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Lyman 1st Edition Cast Handbook

It’s also listed in my 49th edition Reloading Handbook and my 4th Edition Cast Handbook

Elmer Keith drew up the design for the 358429 SWC in about 1929 - 1930 so it would have been designed for the 38 SPL, as the design date actually preceded the design of the 357 magnum by about 5 - 6 years. Many 357 chambers will be too short to load that bullet in 357 brass unless you crimp over the forward driving band instead of in the crimp groove. That was the bullet Elmer used to make up his 38/44 loads, using 38 SPL cases and about 12 grains of the old Hercules 2400 powder. I know they won't fit in my Marlin rifle chamber in 357 brass, but did well in the 38/44 load.
    If it's an Ideal mold it may be worth more as a collectors item than as a mold for making bullets, as Ideal was the original commercial manufacturer of that bullet. I'm not all that familiar with Lyman history, so I can't tell you when they changed the name on the mold from Ideal to Lyman.
    Last edited by gundownunder; 10-29-2018 at 07:49 PM.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Banned
    Lyman bought the Ideal business in 1926 from Phineas M. Talcott who bought Ideal from the Marlin Firearms Co. in 1916 who bought Ideal from Mr. John Barlow in 1910 who started Ideal in 1885.
    Lyman finally dropped the
    Ideal name about 1956 or so.

ken

Boolit Bub
    I've been thinking about molding a few for measuring and comparison to see if they may work in my brothers 35 Remington, has anyone tried this? I believe they are close in diameter, and 173 gr is a tad lighter than my 35-200-RN mold. Has anyone had any experience doing this or has my lead addiction gotten the best of me? I realize we would have to slug the barrel. I also need to see if I've got a set of handles for it. any ideas on what brands may fit? I may be unwise in doing this if it has more of a collectors value than as a working mold. any advice on this ?

Boolit Master
    the 358429 is the first bullet I ever cast and the first bullet I ever loaded. I used a lot of them in .38 spl. cases with 3.5 gr red dot. it is a sweet shooting load. I also loaded a lot of thst bullet in .38 cases over 6 gr. unique. for town police forces they liked the way it cut through car doors. it also got around the city counsel that said you could not use magnum loads in your .357 carry guns.

I have killed everything from water skippers to deer with that bullet in .38 cases.

Single cavity Lyman handles should work, double cavity handles will as well with a bit of grinding modifications.
    I have several Ideal moulds, I feel they were made to use, just don't abuse it.

Boolit Master
    I have a lot of single cavity molds. they may be a little slow but every bullet is the same.

Boolit Master
    I hunted down a ldeal DC 358-429 a while back just because I figured I had a better chance of getting a fatter cast bullet with the older ideal mold , and I did . I think besides flat out abuse to a mold -neglecting a mold would do more harm than casting with it . So I would say try it .

Boolit Master

Any LYMAN mold with a slotted locking screw for the sprue plate screw and no dings is worth keeping.
    And has 95% chance of casting fat bullets with any alloy up to and including 40/1.

Find a set of handles specifically made for single cavity mold. You'll have a better chance of proper mold. alignment.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    Thank you all. I had forgotten about this mould. After checking out the Info. I learned a lot. Thank you everyone.(Now I've got to go hunt it up, and cast a few to see what I can do. Looks like a Christmas eve casting session.)

Boolit Master
    Now you need to go on the hunt for its brother the 358439, same bullet just with a hollow point. both are great shooters in my .38 and .357

www.lasc.us/Fryxell38KeithHP358439.htm

Boolit Master
    I have both the solid and hollowpoint molds. Have shot more of the 160 grain hollowpoint with Keith load but have recently dropped to 11.5 of 2400 to give my old 38/44 a nicer retirement.

Boolit Bub
    That sounds nice. I might need to get another 357 or 38 soon.

Boolit Master
    I use the hp version, 358439, in the 38/44. Same load as the solid. Hits like a train!

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Bub
    I'm going to keep my eyes open for one of these HP moulds.

Boolit Master

358429,,shoots exellent in every 357 gun i ever tried them in.big fan!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast