Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: AA #7 #9 in 4 inch barrel

Boolit Man

AA #7 #9 in 4 inch barrel

Is AA #7 #9 too slow to be burned efficiently in 4 inch barrel? I'm pretty sure #9 is too slow, #7 I've been on the fence, mostly cause I get some unburnt powder on the shooting bench when I'm done. I'm shooting a s&w 610-3 , I get consistent groups though. Btw, I dont have a chrony.
    What's your opinion?

Boolit Master

You're probably right on the AA9. I shot a bunch in a M29 4" .44 Mag as well as H110 and WW296 and WC820. Got a right healthy muzzle flash out of them all and this was with a 300+ grain bullet which should have caused the powder to burn pretty well.
    No experience on the AA7./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    I use AA#9 for .44 Special with a 240 grain bullet in a 4 5/8" barrel and have no complaints. I have also used it with no problem with .40 S&W with a 180 grain bullet in a Glock 23, although in the latter case I imagine there are better choices. I have also used AA#7 with both of the above cartridges, as well as .327 Federal Magnum. I chose AA#7 for high velocity loads in the Super .38, and had good results, but have come to prefer AA#9.

I have a very slapdash attitude about unburnt powder. Decades ago when I began shooting .357, I used the load recommended by the late Charles 'Skeeter' Skelton, of 13.5 grains 2400 with the Lyman 358156 bullet. I always had unburnt powder left in the bore. I spent years fretting about this, trying magnum primers, etc. Finally I thought, the load shoots more accurately than I can hold, the velocity is flat enough for me to hit anything I can see--so what is the problem?

Boolit Master
    I would imagine that H110 burns a wee bit slower than #9. “110” works fine in my 4” Smith so I would expect “9” to as well.

Three44s

I used 2400 since 60s in 357, 41mg & 44mg. & had unburnt powder in all them, even in 71/2" & 83/8" barrels. Used 22.5gr 2400/240gr JHP load in 44mg carbines too. They all shot well so I never
    got around to seeking different powder. I did fool with several powders before settling on 2400.

Boolit Master
    I'm using AA#7, mostly for 9 mm, which it was developed. I always have unburnt power, regardless of bullet weight, even in a 16" carbine barrel. There is data in the Number 1 Accurate Reloading manual for calibers up to and including 44 Magnum.

I tried some loads in the 44 Magnum (carbine) but nothing noteworthy. Not enamored that, even with charges near maximum, there is potential for double charging.

Winelover

Boolit Master

It really comes down to what you're trying to accomplish. If you want velocity and performance use the #9. If it's light target loads use some thing faster like 231 or Bullseye. It may not be "efficient" but slow powders like AA9,296, 2400 will always give the highest velocities regardless of barrel length over fast powders like Unique,231.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master
    I used AA #7 in some relatively stout 327 Fed Mag rounds when I first got my custom 4" K-frame S&W. They were loud and bright! I'm not sure I have a steady need for those rounds, but I have them available if I really want to make an impression.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I use 12 gr. of #9 in my Sig229 w/4 inch barrel. Works great and is quite consistent. 125 gr. with gas check at about 1300+ and as accurate as I can hold.

I use #9 in all my 4" 357s... excellent accuracy and it meters like water .... Think I'll give it a go in a 44 mag soon

Boolit Man
    Cool, that settles my qualms about unburnt powder and #7, thanks. It's not really a barrel length thing, it's something common to #7 and has no significance to efficiency. Also in future I'll keep open mind about #9 and 4in barrels, given the end results are satisfactory.

Boolit Buddy
    These slower powders work perfectly fine in shorter barrels but dont try to make a light load out of it. Thats how you end up with unburned powder. All those slower powders (#9, H110, LittleGun) are for full loads and most work better with magnum primers. Fast powders (HP38/W231, TG, WST, #2, red dot) for light loads, medium burning powders (HS6, #7, PP, CFE P, Unique) for medium loads.
    Also look for soot on the fired brass which would indicate brass not sealing properly again from loads that are too light.