Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Whitney Kennedy

Boolit Master

Whitney Kennedy

It sat in my locker for a few years and I finally got around to fixing it. Some of the screw holes were worn out so I had to make a few oversize threaded screws. I also wanted to be able to shoot it so it got a liner in 44-40. Everything works so the next step is to take it to the range and see what it will do. Might be up for sale in the near future.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	229523

Boolit Master
    Years ago, I had a fierce desire to know more about the W-K's, but that was pre-internet, couldn't find serious info and I moved on. Still curious, though, what sort of action lock-up do they use? Toggle-link or locking key like the Winchesters?

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know exactly what type of lockup they use, but they're still considered category 1 like 1873 Winchesters.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbub View Post

Years ago, I had a fierce desire to know more about the W-K's, but that was pre-internet, couldn't find serious info and I moved on.

Still curious, though, what sort of action lock-up do they use ?

Toggle-link or locking key like the Winchesters ?

All the Whitney-whomever rifles (Eli Whitney had different partners over the years) used a toggle link lock-up.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Andrew Burgess patented every way he could think of for locking a breech block to the lever pivot screw.....possibly a hundred patents..... a toggle angled down to the lever pivot,(among others) ....Whitney,seemingly to avoid paying Burgess royalties,tried other variations,at least one involving a long extension of the lever locking at the back of the block.........not dissimilar in principal to the modern Marlin....fascinating stuff........yet at every turn Browning was a couple of years late, today he is credited with "inventing " the large 45/70 size levergun..the 1886 Winchester.......................the other interesting fact is that pistol caliber leverguns outsold the big ones ten to one for every manufacturer that made both sizes.
    Last edited by john.k; 10-29-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post

at every turn Browning was a couple of years late, today he is credited with "inventing " the large 45/70 size levergun..the 1886 Winchester

Yet, Marlin introduced their .45-70 levergun in 1881.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

No toggle link. The lever comes up and locks the breach. A little more info https://www.eliwhitney.org/7/museum/...er-action-guns

Boolit Master
    That's actually the name of my Dr.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

I have a brand new,-never mounted, never fully finished, never fired barrel for that rifle. It is not 100%, it could be your. PM me if intertested.

Boolit Master
    i checked the link......Burgess had 600 firearms patents ,not 100 as i thought.....the other interesting point is why did Winchester buy out Whitney?......it may have been more political and social than anything else.....Seems the Whitneys had little interest in the business,and the source of their great wealth was land and the water company.

John Marlin paid Burgess royalties on many of his early guns until Burgess' patent ran out. The 1881 and 1888 Marlin both used some Burgess patented designs.

I used to have a few Whitney Kennedy rifles, and I think they're really neat. Whitney was a significant part of US firearms history, and a prolific gun making company for many decades until their failure. Too bad Winchester bought them when they failed and closed the company down.

Boolit Master
    One of my fellow shooters at our monthly pistol-caliber levergun match shoots a 44-40 Whitney Kennedy. He uses only BP loads and he is though to beat! And he for sure wins the "cool factor" trophy.

Boolit Master

Whitney also made the Phoenix rifle which is my next project.