MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm starting over... Completely over.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Yep, speed doesn’t matter much if your making ****. Just gets you more of it, faster.

That said, you can make good ammo quickly, heck factory ammunition is made by the thousands per hour.
    Yeah but there aren't any human hands involved.

Here's and idea.

Maybe you should get one of these. I know right where they come from.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Yep, speed doesn’t matter much if your making ****. Just gets you more of it, faster.

That said, you can make good ammo quickly, heck factory ammunition is made by the thousands per hour.
    Yeah but there aren't any human hands involved to screw it up.

Here's and idea.

If you screw up ammo with one of these,,, maybe take up Fly Fishing?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That was a little abrasive in the presentation.
    That member went on my "Ignore List" several years ago and I no longer have to skip his vitriol, it's done automatically. His posts have never added anything positive to any threads I can remember...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Horse hocky! Your reply is predicated on an assumed fact, i.e. that folks should be able and indeed want to use all this high production loading gear.

Been loading for 58 years and my most advanced press is a 40 year old Lyman All American turrent.
    Good golly. My point was that one must know their gear, and if it isn't producing quality results, figure out why and either fix it or change the approach. As soon as that ammo leaves the press and is going out to the range, the person who produced it is responsible for its quality (or lack thereof). Period. If the person isn't happy with said ammo's quality, they should affect whatever change is needed. I wasn't advocating the use of any particular press. If you don't know the ins and outs of your gear, how can you really make quality and reliable ammunition? That's why I'm betting you use your All American Turret. I use a Buchanan hand press, a single stage, and a 550. Each has its uses to me. And, I know how to use, tune, maintain, and troubleshoot each one of them. This is what I mean by having confidence in the reloading equipment. The OP should be able to do the same and if not, he either should learn to or change to something where that is possible.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

My two main issues with my two Lee loadmasters

If you want to prime in the press. Buy a Lee decaper on stage 1 move the sizer to stage 2.

This will hold the case frimly in place when seating the primer.

Add a little lube ever y few cases and it will go very smooth.

If you want to go FAST. DON'T do it.

If you need todeprime and reprime as a separate stage. The. Get a powder stop die. And you will crank them out.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	co-ax parts from 2006 DSCF8525.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	229860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two RCBS partner presses in vehicle 11-11-2015.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	229861
    I got a Rockchucker in 1999 and started reloading.
    By 2006 I had a two co-ax presses and was milling out improved parts for the co-ax.
    By 2015 I had two partner presses that were so portable they could cozy up to me at my computer or in a hunting vehicle.

When I start a new rifle cartridge, I buy:
    1) The chamber reamer
    2) The go gauge
    3) The Forster seating die, and then I de bur the de burring that Forster did in the seating stem
    4) The Forster FL die with the neck honed out by Forster on thier Sunnen hone to my specification.
    5) The Lee Collet neck die, and then I polish the collet and collet sleeve.
    6) Get an update from Quickload to include the latest powders, bullets, and cartridges

When I start a new handgun cartridge, I buy:
    1) Lee carbide die set if available.
    2) Start making dies from 7/8-14 threaded rod, if I have to

Having a reloading setup in your van is a great idea. And not just for a hunting vehicle. Also great for trips to the range for development.
    I like it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Yeah but there aren't any human hands involved.

Here's and idea.

Randy
    I sorta followed the development of the Buchanan hand press here on castboolits and was thinkin' seriously about one and mounting it on my bench (I know it is a portable press, but I think a bench mount would work. Maybe with a swivel base set up). But, I got a Forster Co-Ax instead...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I sorta followed the development of the Buchanan hand press here on castboolits and was thinkin' seriously about one and mounting it on my bench (I know it is a portable press, but I think a bench mount would work. Maybe with a swivel base set up). But, I got a Forster Co-Ax instead...
    I think Randy's press is great for folks who want to do some or all their reloading functions away from a bench. It is well engineered.

As many have stated, one size does not fit all when it comes to presses or how we do thing.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I started out with a rockchucker over 20 years ago. The enjoyment I've gotten from that press is probably greater than any other machine that's belonged to me. I have owned a loadmaster, two SDB's, and a 650 with casefeeder. None have been as enjoyable. All could crank out junk as fast as you could pull the handle. Nowadays I have a Lee turret, a Hollywood senior, a Co-ax, and still have my original rock chucker. I'm pretty satisfied but once in a while I get the itch for speed on a progressive.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Different tools for different purposes. At present I use 3 different SS presses: RC4, Summit and an Ultramag. I like each for different purposes, although the RC is used most often.

All that being said, a well designed and setup progressive is fantastic. I wouldn't want to live without my Pro 2000. That allows me to got to the bench and load 500 rounds of quality ammo in about 1.5 hours. That press is simple, with little to go wrong. It is a meaningful time saver in my busy schedule.

The RC is a joy to use, and would be the one I'd keep if I could only have one.

Boolit Master

I had my Experience with High Volume reloading when I was a kid. Producing approximately 500 to 1,000 shotshells a week on MEC and PONSNESS/WARREN Reloaders. For more then 5 years.

These days I load about 300rds an hour on a HORNADY L-N-L. No reason to rush, I load .223 & most Plinking/Cowboy that way. I single stage all other Rifle ammo and .32 Smith & Wesson. That last case is just TOO small for a progressive. Although I do use an old RCBS Piggyback-2 to reload .32acp and the other .32's.

No need to rush for me anymore.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Taterhead is correct. I like reloading presses and I have a bunch of them. I have the state of the art Dillons but they are only for 45 acp and 38 special. 32-20 have thin necks and I prefer the coax. I have an Ultramag for stiff sizing jobs. Rock chuckers and a Lee turret round it out. Some presses are best at some things. And occasionally a change in press keeps it interesting. I've even sized on one, m die'd on another and loaded on a last one.

Its all about me having fun....

Boolit Buddy
    50yrs of single stage here. That was through years of registered skeet , P-doggin and pistol bangin for fun, and BR.
    Have many presses now from arbor to handheld,o frame c frame and use them all.
    Closest I ever came to progressive was looking and saying that's kinda kool.
    But I never had a double charge or blew up a primer feed and my ammo works great.
    But then again I learned decades ago to Handload instead reload - there is a dif

Ive had a RCBS Rock Chucker since 1974. Still bolted to the same place, on the same bench. I have processed ammo for 30 different cartridges over the years. Rough calculations, that press has produced well over 40000 rounds of ammunition. I have spent many hours in front of it and it has yet to let me down. I think ill just stick to what i know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I'm shore you have heard it before , but I have found the slower I go loading on a progressive reloader the faster I load good ammo no matter the press . From loading on Mec 9000s , Dillon 550 , or loadmaster while I'm loading I watch every step , and it doesn't slow me down - if you see the problem before you do it it's a easy fix . I'm only into progressive reloading metallic cartridges a couple years and i try not to get in a hurry . Be safe
    Ditto. I use the progressive, but try not to get in a hurry with it. One pull, one bullet....what's not to like. Just go slow enough to ensure primer, powder, bullet seat are all good. Fast enough for me.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy

I have only used my XL 650 2 or 3 times in the last year. I just don’t shoot enough to justify it any more. I am happier loading 100/200 on the turret. Range trips are down to once a month and 100/200 of each caliber is enough for each trip. Also in the last couple of years I have been reducing my loaded ammo stockpile from 40K to 10K.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master
    I too have changed my LM procedure from a full on progressive to more of a turret that will spit out a round with each pull of the handle. I clean, deprime, and hand prime off the press. Then the stations are as follows, 1-size without decapping, 2-powder drop, 3-powder cop die, 4-seat, 5-crimp. I no longer use the LM for anything but 9mm, and hand feed both brass and bullets. I would say 99% of the problems I encountered were caused by the automatic case and bullet feeders. All rifle calibers are on my Orange Crusher, and all other handgun calibers on my Lee Turret.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123